Life, Liberty, and Property?

☭proletarian☭;1784928 said:
How can a governing body necessarily protect life, liberty, and property when it must, by necessity, remove life, liberty and property?

Some liberties (such as killing at random) are limited to protect those liberties the people as a whole value more greatly (such as life).

Has anyone ever said different? Those are good laws that do not restrict the free action of others that violate another person's liberty.

While your boss does own your free actions while you work for him. This may seem that he owns you by definition but since you can reclaim your freedom at any time by quitting this means you are free because if the form can simply cease to be controlled by its own choosing then it is the form (aka employee) that is ultimately in control of their free actions and not the employer.

The slave may revolt at any time, reclaiming his actions. However, both have little choice but to comply with the system, if they are to propagate their own existence and welfare. Your argument applies to the American Negro in the 1700s just as it dos to the modern proletarian.

How can a governing body necessarily protect life, liberty, and property when it must, by necessity, remove life, liberty and property?

Its called negative liberty where government basically did nothing whatsoever and laws only existed to protect citizens from other citizens. In this kind of law government always protected the interest of any citizen against other citizens such as laws against theft.

How can it enforce this without taxes (which are nothing more than institutionalized theft)?

Its called negative liberty where government basically did nothing whatsoever and laws only existed to protect citizens from other citizens. In this kind of law government always protected the interest of any citizen against other citizens such as laws against theft.

How can it enforce this without taxes (which are nothing more than institutionalized theft)?
Via a law enforcement agency that is not paid through taxation- although I highly doubt any such experiment would be very successful. Taxation is, under ideal conditions, one example of the individual surrendering some liberties (in case surrendering wealth to the collective system of government and bodies formed to enforce the law) in order to defend other liberties and self-interest. It is much like two nations agreeing to pool their resources in mutual defense against a perceived mutual enemy.

Via a law enforcement agency that is not paid through taxation- although I highly doubt any such experiment would be very successful.

It would not be successful when the government has a monopoly on such services (thus making your service illegal) and the government forces everyone to pay for their service regardless of the fairness, quality, or justice is provides.

Taxation is, under ideal conditions, one example of the individual surrendering some liberties (in case surrendering wealth to the collective system of government and bodies formed to enforce the law) in order to defend other liberties and self-interest.

If I am forced at gunpoint (which everyone is, just think it out logically when someone refuses to pay) to pay a tax how are my liberties and self-interests protected when the person is taking what I earned fairly and peacefully? Isn't the person taking it violating my rights?

It is much like two nations agreeing to pool their resources in mutual defense against a perceived mutual enemy.

What happens if the two nations are my enemies?

Via a law enforcement agency that is not paid through taxation- although I highly doubt any such experiment would be very successful.

It would not be successful when the government has a monopoly on such services (thus making your service illegal) and the government forces everyone to pay for their service regardless of the fairness, quality, or justice is provides.

I think the entire concept went over your head :eusa_eh:
If I am forced at gunpoint (which everyone is, just think it out logically when someone refuses to pay) to pay a tax how are my liberties and self-interests protected when the person is taking what I earned fairly and peacefully? Isn't the person taking it violating my rights?

Again,it just seems to go right past you...

It is much like two nations agreeing to pool their resources in mutual defense against a perceived mutual enemy.

What happens if the two nations are my enemies?
[/QUOTE]
I'd advise against attacking them if they both have nukes...:eusa_eh:

The concepts and myths about social contract and government protection do not go over my head. They are misunderstood and accepted when they should be rejected because they are self-contradicting.

How can they be self-contradicting. Social contract as an explanation of individual and social actions is independent of whether one believes a given form of government serves the desired ends.

The concepts and myths about social contract and government protection do not go over my head. They are misunderstood and accepted when they should be rejected because they are self-contradicting.
Exactly.

The mythical "social contract" is known in the real world as an adhesion contract, which are almost always summarily judged null and void ab initio.

☭proletarian☭;1788045 said:
How can they be self-contradicting. Social contract as an explanation of individual and social actions is independent of whether one believes a given form of government serves the desired ends.

It's self contradictory because the theory itself is bunk. It is not a valid explanation of individual and social actions.

☭proletarian☭;1788045 said:

It's self contradictory because the theory itself is bunk. It is not a valid explanation of individual and social actions.

never heard of a clique or a constitution? What about the consent of the governed?

☭proletarian☭;1788110 said:
never heard of a clique or a constitution? What about the consent of the governed?

Heard of 'em all. I was brainwashed with all that nonsense as a youngster just as I'm sure you were. It takes time, reading, and effort to realize it was complete crap...

Heard of 'em all. I was brainwashed with all that nonsense as a youngster just as I'm sure you were. It takes time, reading, and effort to realize it was complete crap...

so you're saying none of the above really exist?

☭proletarian☭;1788133 said:

Cliques and constitutions exist. They however are only as powerful as the guns behind them and their acceptance by the majority of those they apply to as valid.

"consent" of the governed is nothing more than code for "consent of the majority". If one person governed does not give consent then "consent of the governed" crumbles as justifiable.

Cliques and constitutions exist. They however are only as powerful as the guns behind them and their acceptance by the majority of those they apply to as valid.

"consent" of the governed is nothing more than code for "consent of the majority". If one person governed does not give consent then "consent of the governed" crumbles as justifiable.

The red is exactly what the consent of the governed is all about and exactly what SCT describes. Thanks for proving the validity of that you were trying to refute :lol:

☭proletarian☭;1788177 said:

The red is exactly what the consent of the governed is all about and exactly what SCT describes. Thanks for proving the validity of that you were trying to refute :lol:

Your response shows exactly why I hate discussing this stuff on forums. It's pretty much a waste of my time. I know what "consent of the governed" is and what social contract theory is. However it doesn't do what those who subscribe to it claim it does.

If you are missing the point I'm making please ask. If not I'll move along...

I was trying to point out when the founders believed that govt existed to secure our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness they might have meant life, liberty, and pursuit of property but could not use the word property because of the slavery issue.

This makes more sense to me because what other force defines who owns what and who can use what is out there than the government itself. When you own a piece of land the government draws boundries that everyone recognizes so government has an instrumental role in securing your rights to your property.

It's hard to separate slavery from our founding but the pursuit of property is very narrow and does not necessarily lead to a free society. Even though slavery is a contradiction it was the intent of the founder to create the freest society possible. By securing our right to happiness it would be inclusive of property if that was our bliss.

You made no point. You said the social contract didn't exist, then you demonstrated that it does.

Forum List

Back