Liberals can easily help make death-penalty executions pain-free

A Perez

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2015
As Samuel Alito noted, liberals lobbied for pharmaceutical companies to stop making two drugs that make death penalty inmates die painlessly: Sodium Thiopental and Pentobarbital. The companies caved to pressure and stopped production.

Liberals have never argued that Sodium Thiopental and Pentobarbital produce pain, as far as I know. Their argument for stopping production of these drugs is simply that the death penalty (painless or painful) shouldn't exist.

Liberals then proceeded to protest that a certain drug in Oklahoma was too painful for two inmates who underwent lots of pain.

Now that the Supreme Court ruled the use of the not-so-good drug Constitutional, liberals should not worry that this necessarily means inmates will go through extreme pain. All you have to do is (if you really want pain-free executions) is lobby the pharmaceutical companies to begin producing Sodium Thiopental and/or Pentobarbital.

Last edited:
do you agree with the way the death penalty is used in the us
I don't.

It should be swift and certain in most cases.

I don't give a damn about the method; there are many tried and true ways, proven throughout the history of mankind.

If it has to be "humane", put the criminal to sleep with the same stuff they use for surgery, Versed.

Once out on that, you could beat them to death with a crowbar and they would not know it.

ahhh versed the amnesia drug....

i am speaking more of the use of it as a threat.....confess and we take the death penalty off the table...plus you have different sentencing laws that allow someone to be on death row for 20 years while a newer convict will be executed within several years

The argument against was much stronger than the argument for the death penalty.

SCOTUS Legal Injection Ruling

"JUSTICE BREYER , with whom JUSTICE GINSBURG joins, dissenting. For the reasons stated in JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR ’s opinion, I dissent from the Court’s holding. But rather than try to patch up the death penalty’s legal wounds one at a time, I would ask for full briefing on a more basic question: whether the death penalty violates the Constitution. The relevant legal standard is the standard set forth in the Eighth Amendment. The Constitution there forbids the “inflict[ion]” of “cruel and unusual punishments.” Amdt. 8. The Court has recognized that a “claim that punishment is excessive is judged not by the standards that prevailed in 1685 when Lord Jeffreys presided over the ‘Bloody Assizes’ or when th e Bill of Rights was adopted, but rather by those that currently prevail.” Atkins v. Virginia , 536 U. S. 304, 311 (2002). Indeed, the Constitu tion prohibits various gruesome punishments that were common in Blackstone’s day. See 4 W. Blackstone, Com mentaries on the Laws of England 369–370 (1769) (listing mutilation and dismembering, among other punishments)."

The argument against was much stronger than the argument for the death penalty.

SCOTUS Legal Injection Ruling

"JUSTICE BREYER , with whom JUSTICE GINSBURG joins, dissenting. For the reasons stated in JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR ’s opinion, I dissent from the Court’s holding. But rather than try to patch up the death penalty’s legal wounds one at a time, I would ask for full briefing on a more basic question: whether the death penalty violates the Constitution. The relevant legal standard is the standard set forth in the Eighth Amendment. The Constitution there forbids the “inflict[ion]” of “cruel and unusual punishments.” Amdt. 8. The Court has recognized that a “claim that punishment is excessive is judged not by the standards that prevailed in 1685 when Lord Jeffreys presided over the ‘Bloody Assizes’ or when th e Bill of Rights was adopted, but rather by those that currently prevail.” Atkins v. Virginia , 536 U. S. 304, 311 (2002). Indeed, the Constitu tion prohibits various gruesome punishments that were common in Blackstone’s day. See 4 W. Blackstone, Com mentaries on the Laws of England 369–370 (1769) (listing mutilation and dismembering, among other punishments)."
By "stronger" did you mean you liked it better?

Forum List

Back