Liberalism: Can It Survive?

liberals are going to get a chance to prove themselves. if pelosi, reed and obama are as honest as I think they are, they will do good for america. we know mccain and gop can't be trusted with power. they belong in the minority. vote based on your income. $250 k plus, vote gop. everyone else obama.

is there some reason we needed to resurrect a three-year old thread of people who don't post here any more?

was a pretty stupid thread in the first place......

Why does it bother you enough to rebump it yourself?

Duh...

Kinda ironic that the author doesn't think liberalism will survive yet we are on the crest of electing a very liberal president who also has to overcome the being black thing. You'd think if liberalism was really dying, then the anti-obama smears could attack his positions and not his race.

Seems to me that the once party of the liberals is now merely a party of obstructionist who are trying to stem the tide of conservativism until they can figure out who in the hell they are and what in the hell they stand for.

this quote really cracked me up.

given the pub nomination process...:clap2:

since it was the pubs who kilt conservatism...well I mean obviously bush co wrecked things...course their pubs right?

I hate it that most people prefer being called conservative and not liberal. and we need to stop with the blue and red or liberal vs conservative. why do they disagree on EVERYTHING?

Unfortunately, far from liberalism being dead, it is just about to be revived in the United States with a vengeance.

In November, we will see a liberal Democrat as President, presiding over a liberal Democrat House and Senate.

We should not underestimate the magnitude of this disaster.

I suspect that liberalism in power will use this opportunity to enact a new "New Deal" and win for itself a position of electoral strength which will take literally decades to erode, by making millions of voters grateful for new social legislation that benefits them.

Thoughtful conservatives will want to ask themselves two things:

(1) How did this disaster happen? And, in particular, did any actions of ours contributed to our great defeat?

(2) What should we do now? How should we fight, now that we are a minority in government? How should we oppose?

In my opinion, the key to understanding what happened to us, and how to reverse it, is in understanding how the majority of Americans, who are neither liberal nor conservative, perceive the world, and how they perceive the two opposing political tendencies of liberalism and conservatism.

I think we -- more precisely, Republicans in power -- have done a lot to drive these people towards the Left. We need to analyze why this has happened.

A retreat under fire is the most difficult of all military maneuvers. Nonetheless, it is the one we will soon be compelled to carry out.

Great questions, Doug.

So great that I took the liberty of starting a new thread highlighting your post in the hopes that we can learn what our board resident consvatives really think about the important issues of the day.

I think I know what most of this boards conservatives can't stand, (they can't stand their percieved concpet of liberalism) but I really don't know what they do stand for.

I hope you and the other self proclaimed conservatives will have the discussion that I think you sagely invited them to have.

I will be very interested in learning what you and they think about the conservative movement and what the conservative movement need do to win the hearts and minds of their fellow Americans.

Hi, Doug,

Good to see you. I don't think conservatism is dead. I think that the people in power over the last 7 odd years are a bunch of reactionaries who acted arrogantly. They forgot that conservatism requires that if one cuts income, one has to cut spending. If one can't cut spending, then one shouldn't cut income. They forgot that conservatives wouldn't run a war on the national credit card. (Bush was the only leader in history to cut taxes during wartime). The reactionaries in power violated the first rule of conservatism... they were terrible stewards of the national economy.

The reactionaries in power, whom some persist in calling conservatives for no apparent reason I can see, forgot that conservatives don't involve themselves in people's private lives by attempting to legislate radical right christian dogma.

There's more, but I think those are the two most important reasons you're hoisting yourselves by your own petards.

I don't think the country has moved left... I think most people are still in the middle and if the dems forget that, they will be in the same place as you guys at the end of THEIR run.

As the Baby Boomers' hedonism catches up with them and they begin to die off, liberalism will die with them.

If they go quietly, it'll all be cool. If they go loudly (whine about Heller, etc.) we younger Americans may have to teach them a lesson or two - like taking away their SSI.

Being the compassionate gentlemen I am, I hope they choose the former. It'd be a shame to see our parents on the streets instead of nursing homes. LOL.

As the Baby Boomers' hedonism catches up with them and they begin to die off, liberalism will die with them.

If they go quietly, it'll all be cool. If they go loudly (whine about Heller, etc.) we younger Americans may have to teach them a lesson or two - like taking away their SSI.

Being the compassionate gentlemen I am, I hope they choose the former. It'd be a shame to see our parents on the streets instead of nursing homes. LOL.

And as you guys grow up, you'll figure out that government shouldn't be in your personal life.

You might even grow up enough to figure out that any party that tries to legislate religion is dangerous.

But, you'd have to be grown up enough to vote smart instead of voting to preserve toys. ;)

Conservatism has proven in so many failures since Reagan that it cannot govern, nor can it move society forward to peace and prosperity. The Cheney/Bush administration has shown this over and over again, and drilling all over the place, another shortsighted non-solution proves once again we need to go forward, backward has already shown its horror.

"Liberals demand that the social order should in principle be capable of explaining itself at the tribunal of each person's understanding." Jeremy Waldron

Forum List

Back