Jul 15, 2004
Idaho
In the US those labels seem to destroy a constructive discussion
on many topics. While they have not reached the Commie-Nazi level
of avoiding the topics it seems that they are often attached to
self congratulatory statements.

Having grown up in a different party system I d be hard pressed
to associate with either one of it.

If you use the label centrist you get thrown in with the wishy washy folks that cant make up their mind on anything.

I guess labels always suck to a degree but are there other
political labels you use to convey your basic political ideas to strangers
when you introduce yourself?

If so what would they be.

What is the association libertarians have ?

nosarcasm said:

If you use the label centrist you get thrown in with the wishy washy folks that cant make up their mind on anything.

I associate them with those who are "dead in the water". :coffee3:

nosarcasm said:

I'd agree. I'm a moderate as I don't think it is possible to entirely embrace the ideology of either party, but I know my positions on individual topics, and I know between two people who I will vote for, yet I've been thrown in with the wishy-washy folks as well. I'm similar to a libertarian as well, although I mix my social views with those conservatives some as well.

IControlThePast said:
I'd agree. I'm a moderate as I don't think it is possible to entirely embrace the ideology of either party, but I know my positions on individual topics, and I know between two people who I will vote for, yet I've been thrown in with the wishy-washy folks as well. I'm similar to a libertarian as well, although I mix my social views with those conservatives some as well.

You are suggesting one can't be a 'moderate democrat'? Or are you calling 'liberal' and 'conservative' "parties"?

-=d=- said:
You are suggesting one can't be a 'moderate democrat'? Or are you calling 'liberal' and 'conservative' "parties"?

One can be a moderate Democrat. Typically those who identify themselves as conservative identify themselves as Republican, and the other way around for liberals, so I'm not saying that all conservatives are Republican, but that is just the stereotype that comes with the label, and commenting on the use of these stereotypes to introduce one's political positions quickly.

Nice new avatar :thup:

IControlThePast said:
One can be a moderate Democrat. Typically those who identify themselves as conservative identify themselves as Republican, and the other way around for liberals, so I'm not saying that all conservatives are Republican, but that is just the stereotype that comes with the label, and commenting on the use of these stereotypes to introduce one's political positions quickly.

Nice new avatar :thup:
I really have never met a "liberal" conservative. Though I have met some conervative Dem's.

Independent.

Meaning I make up my mind on each issue and yet, manage to look good doing it. Seriously though. Labels generally do little more than piss me off. As it is so long as we have four definitions that are so far apart for right, wrong, legal, & illegal our labeling system will be skewed.

Forum List

Back