Lib Media gets suckered by girl's rape tale

bush lover

Feb 18, 2005
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=3977702&page=1

Ain't it just typical how the liberal anti-American media just laps this stuff up? They take the girl's word against KBR's! These young men are risking their lives in Iraq to fight the terrorists over there instead of here, and this is how they get paid back? With lawsuits? The liberals are destroying our country.

Ain't it just typical how the liberal anti-American media just laps this stuff up? They take the girl's word against KBR's! These young men are risking their lives in Iraq to fight the terrorists over there instead of here, and this is how they get paid back? With lawsuits? The liberals are destroying our country.

I read the article twice. I do not see where ABC News takes an official position – siding with KBR or with the wonan. Please provide a quote saying that ABC News belives the womans accusation to be honest and accurate.

Also, I thought that KBR is a leading global engineering, construction and services company supporting the energy, petrochemicals, government services and civil infrastructure sectors. I did not know that it also provides terrorist-fighting services.

I'm with Mattskramer on this one, 20/20 did nothing but allow this woman to tell her side of the story, they obviously contacted KBR and Halliburton to get their side as well. The woman's side is more emotional...so I could see how some would feel that she got more sympathy in the story...but thats just the way things go when rape stories go public.

Fighting terrorists (or working in Iraq) does not give you the right to rape someone.

However...

I feel that in all rape cases, the correct and prudent thing to do is to keep both the accuser's and the accused's names out of the media.

If this woman has been the victim of such a terrible crime than justice needs to be served...but, these companies and the American soldiers (whose reputation will be hurt because of this even though they are not involved) should not have their names, reputations, and the confidence of the American and Iraqi people put in jeopardy because of a few individuals. Additionally, these individuals have the right to the presumption of innocence until they are proven guilty.

In rape cases, the accused rarely gets this right. They have their reputations, careers, and often their lives ruined long before they have had their day in court to explain their side of the story.

In this case - I just hope that an investigation is done properly and swiftly, the truth comes to light...and if this woman suffered through this horrible crime that her attackers go to jail for a VERY long time. (And if she is making it up for some reason, that SHE goes to jail for a very long time).

I'm with Mattskramer on this one, 20/20 did nothing but allow this woman to tell her side of the story, they obviously contacted KBR and Halliburton to get their side as well. The woman's side is more emotional...so I could see how some would feel that she got more sympathy in the story...but thats just the way things go when rape stories go public.

Fighting terrorists (or working in Iraq) does not give you the right to rape someone.

However...

I feel that in all rape cases, the correct and prudent thing to do is to keep both the accuser's and the accused's names out of the media.

If this woman has been the victim of such a terrible crime than justice needs to be served...but, these companies and the American soldiers (whose reputation will be hurt because of this even though they are not involved) should not have their names, reputations, and the confidence of the American and Iraqi people put in jeopardy because of a few individuals. Additionally, these individuals have the right to the presumption of innocence until they are proven guilty.

In rape cases, the accused rarely gets this right. They have their reputations, careers, and often their lives ruined long before they have had their day in court to explain their side of the story.

In this case - I just hope that an investigation is done properly and swiftly, the truth comes to light...and if this woman suffered through this horrible crime that her attackers go to jail for a VERY long time. (And if she is making it up for some reason, that SHE goes to jail for a very long time).

The problem is that the lib media looks for and helps create these sorts of stories...without ever sniffing out the positive stories as well to create a balance. And so often, they do a shoddy job of actually researching the evidence, so end up ruining people's lives simply because they opt for sensationalism which will put forth a certain viewpoint (theirs).

However...

The woman had a professional website up ready to go after the interview. Her name came up because she wanted it to be so.

I haven't a clue to what the truth is, but will say it's very unusual victim behavior.

Alliebaba Wrote:
without ever sniffing out the positive stories as well to create a balance

This, I agree with completely. I do wish that the media would actually provided balanced coverage.

And I also agree with Kathianne...I do think its strange for the woman to be so eager for media coverage - but I also think that if I had been gang-raped and I believed the government had done nothing about it, I might be pretty darn willing to go public too.

This is why I think that both the "victim" and the "rapists" should have their identities protected by a true "rape shield" law until a determination is made.

The problem is that the lib media looks for and helps create these sorts of stories...without ever sniffing out the positive stories as well to create a balance. And so often, they do a shoddy job of actually researching the evidence, so end up ruining people's lives simply because they opt for sensationalism which will put forth a certain viewpoint (theirs).

So if they can't find a positive story, to keep the balance, does that mean they shouldn't run a story like this?

This isn't about a criminal investigation. There isn't going to be one. This is her civil case, not a rape trial, so don't expect her behaviour to be akin to that of a rape victim who is fronting up in a criminal trial to give evidence. This is about her shining a light and publicity is exactly the sort of tool she needs to achieve her objectives.

This is why I think that both the "victim" and the "rapists" should have their identities protected by a true "rape shield" law until a determination is made.

Agreed. The only thing I will add is that if she willingly gave up that shield, that's her choice. And, yes, she did it to publicize what was done to her and rightfully so, IMO.

There is one mantra for journalism as a whole that applies whether it is liberal or conservative.

If it bleeds, it leads.

Every other story is inserted in order of how close it comes to the above. If a positive story, not in the half page devoted to features, makes it in; It will be because the man bites dog stories are played out and the advertisers didn't buy the last six column inches.

Apart from the over there/not here hyperbole - are any military personnel allegedly involved, I seem to remember reading that it was civilian contractors and we're talking contractors not "security" personnel, like kitchen hands and the like. But I could be wrong, just went back and picked that point up.

So if they can't find a positive story, to keep the balance, does that mean they shouldn't run a story like this?

Not if it's a bunch of crap. And not if they're helping to make the story. Which they are. That's not journalism. It's politics.

So if it could be a bunch of crap it shouldn't be reported.

So what should be reported? Sports results?

It's a fact that the woman is engaged in legal action. That's being reported. Her allegations are being reported - not as fact, but as allegations.

Freedom of speech is really inconvenient sometimes isn't it?

Forum List

Back