Let's Talk Key West!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
We are going there late July. I've never been to Florida in the summer, let alone that far south.

What's the weather like that time of the year down there? Are the bugs and critters bad? Do I need to stock up on bug spray and SPF 80 lotion?

What kind of fun things have you done there? There will be 2 adults and 2 girls, ages 16, and one boy, age 18. So family fun ideas are needed too. Thanks!

When I was there - in July - it was hot and rained every day at around 15.10pm. Torrential rain but stopped after a few minutes and was dry again. Weird.

Fishing.
Diving.
Watch the sunset from Mallory Sq.
If my bro was here, he'd tell you to go to the cigar factory. And he'd ask you to buy him some while you're there. LOL

Have a great, great time!

It will be HOT!

Do you know where you'll be staying? Are you flying in to Key West? I've always preferred to arrive in Miami, rent a car and drive. I love that drive.

Take a glass bottom boat tour for sure. Very fun. Lots of clubs down by the pier (Mallory Square). You'll probably be spending a lot of time down there. Tour Ernest Hemingway's house.

It will be HOT!

Do you know where you'll be staying? Are you flying in to Key West? I've always preferred to arrive in Miami, rent a car and drive. I love that drive.

Take a glass bottom boat tour for sure. Very fun. Lots of clubs down by the pier (Mallory Square). You'll probably be spending a lot of time down there. Tour Ernest Hemingway's house.

We are flying, then renting a car. We are renting a condo on the beach.

Don't really want to go to 'clubs'-need more family friendly ideas. I would LOVE to tour Hemingway's house! And we want to go snorkeling, and take a glass bottom boat ride.

We will be there about 10 days.

It's about a two-hour drive from Miami.

Once you pass through Key Largo, there's lot's to see along the way and plenty of places to stop for a bite.

Enjoy your trip!

And don't worry about the heat. It's not as hot in the Keys as it is on the mainland.

It will be HOT!

Don't really want to go to 'clubs'-need more family friendly ideas. I would LOVE to tour Hemingway's house! And we want to go snorkeling, and take a glass bottom boat ride.

Why not book some diving lessons before you go? That would be cool!

It will be HOT!

Get a picture of this:

15a1f147594da5ab37836b68d4a74109.jpg

I think I saw somebody with this as their avatar recently.

Some clubs are fun for the family because they usually have good food and live music. There's a lot to do downtown.

Hate to be a buzzkill, but you will likely catch fire.

From the heat? :eek:

Yep...it is HOT and the sun is intense.

Plan your days so that your outdoor activities are early in the morning (before 10 or 11am) or late in the evening (after 6pm) and try to stay in the A/C in the afternoon and early evening and you'll be fine.

The nice thing about Key West is that in the mornings and evenings there is always a nice cool breeze from the ocean.

It will be HOT!

Get a picture of this:

15a1f147594da5ab37836b68d4a74109.jpg

I think I saw somebody with this as their avatar recently.

Some clubs are fun for the family because they usually have good food and live music. There's a lot to do downtown.

That's wild, so close to Cuba~maybe I'll see Ricky Ricardo! :lol:

That's cool they have 'family friendly' clubs, thanks! The kids are teens after all, so they may enjoy it!

Drink a lot of water. And then drink a lot more water. It will be very hot. Pay attention to hurricane forecasts. Other than that the suntan lotion is a good idea. I might just buy stock in it this summer seeing how you extremely white people will need gallons. :lol:

Also, don't spend the entire 10 days in Key West, there are several other nice places to go. Best beach in the Keys is at Bahia Honda. But don't expect A+ beaches, they are pretty small down there.

The water is the best in the world and will be nice and warm.

Best way to cool off is drag a cooler of beer and a beach chair into the ocean and veg out.

While you're away.... can Ravi and I have permission to mercilessly mock others on the forum? Without you to play Mom, we're bound to get into trouble.

Oh and the Mel Fisher Museum is very interesting too.

mel-fisher.jpg

Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Museum

Incredible sunken treasures are revealed at the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum.

World famous treasure salvor Mel Fisher uncovered the wreck of the Spanish galleon Atocha in 1985, after an exhausting search which took over 18 years and cost him the life of his son, a professional diver.

The world of shipwreck archaeology is the theme of this awesome museum where you will see the ropes of pure gold and fist-sized emeralds that were recovered. Lift a real gold bar and view a number of artifacts.

They continue to look for more treasure, and repeat Mel's famous saying "Today's the day".

You may never look into the ocean the same way again.

200 Greene St.

Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Museum

We are going there late July. I've never been to Florida in the summer, let alone that far south.

What's the weather like that time of the year down there? Are the bugs and critters bad? Do I need to stock up on bug spray and SPF 80 lotion?

What kind of fun things have you done there? There will be 2 adults and 2 girls, ages 16, and one boy, age 18. So family fun ideas are needed too. Thanks!

The tour of Hemingway's house is interesting, expecially if one likes cats. Watch out for falling coconuts and it's a short walk from the Gulf to the Atlantic down Duval St.

Duval Street, Key West - Things to Do - VirtualTourist

Have fun and try to be there when the cruise ships are not. Oh, and take a photo of your kids on both sides of highway one. On the right side the sign reads, beginning US 1, on the left side the sign reads, End, US 1.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back