lets make a yule log!

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
first we need the sponge cake:

i use fanny farmers .....

5 eggs at room temperature..separated....large bowls....
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of all purpose flour
1/3 cup of cornstarch......no that is not a misprint....1/3 cup

o prehead the oven to 375 grease a jelly roll pan or a large baking sheet....then put parchment paper on it ....one piece then...grease the parchment paper

okay beat the eggs yokes with a pinch of salt and a tspn of vanilla ...beat well...set aside....now
add a bit of cream of tarter to the eggs whites...and begin to whip the egg whites.....use a clean glass bowl and all...now when the eggs whites begin to whip up...begin to slowly sprinkle the sugar on top of the egg whites...this will cause them to beat higher and all...sprinkle it on top or it will all go to the bottom of the bowl...pay attention its the small things....

now fold the egg whites that are whipped till they hold a stiff peak...into the yokes...slowly sprinkle the flour and cornstarch (mix them before hand) in with the yokes and egg whites....do this till its mixed ..spread evenly on the parchmented (not a word i know) pan.....then bake...now pay attention....you only have to bake this puppy for 6 or 7 minutes...a golden brown...

prepare a large dish towel ...put it on a flat surface and sprinkle confectioners sugar over it

turn the sponge cake out on the towel

carefully remove the parchment paper....watch the edges they want to tear.....then here is the tricky part....roll p the sponge cake in the dish towel....you want to roll it up from the narrow end....then unroll it and let it rest....not long i dont let it rest more than a minute...then roll it back up in the towel....and leave it to cool....

now you need a filling...i use a whipped ganache.....i put mini chocolate chips about a cup and then a cup of heavy cream.....and butter...melt....stir and let cool...now you may wanna look up a whipped ganache recipe for exact measures....i use the microwave to nuke it for about a minute...let cool....for about 2 hours....then whip it....

now you can use any filling...lemon filling is a big one.....

spread the filling out on the sponge cake and roll it back up...now pay attention....if you fill it too much it will seep out the edges and the end....but if you dont put enough you will have holes...but we can cover those up lol

we should be here:

now the glaze....equal amounts of chocolate and cream...nuke ...stir ...chill...till its the thickness you want...then pour slowly over the log

now i tried to use the back of a spoon to give it a bark appearance....

o and back to detail...see that serving thing...a box with a gold board...1.50.....presentation is important...dont cheap out...

its winter lets have a wee bit of snow....confectioners sugar in a small sifter passed over quickly....or just let the kids toss the sugar on it.....

we are damn near done:

no it doesnt....nor meringue mushrooms.....i dont add nuts to much unless they are wet nuts and people dont seem to use them anymore..and hell i cant....the sugar is too much with wet nuts....but i love how we always find a way to make the healthy not so healthy lol

i make a killer pecan or chess pie...yes they are different but make the most of pecans

my friends complain that the diabetes made me stop baking....i complain that the baking gave me diabetes...along with the raw milk....and the chocolate cover marshmellow santas...the big ones lol

i need to start on cleaning the kitchen so i can start dinner....nothing major...matter of fact i have no clue what i am making...i might need to address that....

shhh my fasting could have been a lot better this am......i was just sitting here trying to think up a healthy version for some friends...who eat that way lol....just seems a waste to even try

o and back to detail...see that serving thing...a box with a gold board...1.50.....presentation is important...dont cheap out...

its winter lets have a wee bit of snow....confectioners sugar in a small sifter passed over quickly....or just let the kids toss the sugar on it.....

we are damn near done:

love it! looks yummy, bones..

Forum List

Back