Lessons of the Ice

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
We cannot help but notice that the time of greatest melting was the pentad from 1950 to 1954. Is that curious or what? The Earth warmed from 1910 to the mid-1940s, cooled from mid-1940s to the mid-1970s, warmed from the mid-1970s to the late 1990s, and has not warmed or cooled over the most recent decade. The 1950 to 1954 pentad with the longest melt seasons happens to have occurred during a time of global cooling. The same can be said for the 1955-1959 and 1970-1974 pentads with long melt seasons. The 2000-2004 pentad has seen relatively large melt duration periods, but to suggest that it was caused by global warming is not consistent with the largest melt duration values occurring during a time of global cooling.

...Two major lessons come from this study. One, any argument that the Medieval Warm Period and Little Ice Age were confined to Europe is clearly not supported by the evidence from the Himalayan region. Two, glaciers have advanced and retreated many times in the past with absolutely no connection to humans and/or the atmospheric concentration of greenhouse gases. To suddenly pronounce that glaciers are responding to human activities seems to disregard their behavior during periods when human activities certainly had no impact whatsoever.

Glaciers around the world are generally experiencing a melt period at present and there is evidence of melting occurring in the Arctic. However, as seen in the Chaujar and Sharp and Wang articles, there is a lot more to the story when it comes to linking global warming to melting ice.

Full article here:

World Climate Report » Lessons of the Ice

Glaciers around the world are generally experiencing a melt period at present and there is evidence of melting occurring in the Arctic

I can agree with this and since folks don't have their acts together I HOPE your fella is right and greenhouse gas levels have nothing to do with heat retention on a global scale.

still I'm gonna hedge my bets and vote for environmental regulations.

Why if I was in charge something radical might happen like the New V8 Camaros might only have 275HP and get 32MPG!

Forum List

Back