Les Pouvoirs de la parole

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
ā€”from RenĆ© Daumal, Les Pouvoirs de la parole, Gallimard, 1972, first published in Les Cahiers du Sud, December 1943.

A magician was in the habit of amusing his public with the following little trick. Having well aired the room and closed the windows, he would lean over a large mahogany table and carefully pronounce the word ā€œfly.ā€ And immediately a fly would be trotting about in the middle of the table, testing the polish with its soft little proboscis and rubbing its front legs together like any natural fly. Then the magician would lean over the table again, and once again pronounce the word ā€œfly.ā€ And the insect would fall flat on its back, as if struck by lightning. Looking at the corpse through a magnifying glass, one could see only a dry and empty carcass, no innards, no life, no light in the facetted eyes. The magician would then look at his guests with a modest smile, seeking compliments which were duly paid him.

I have always thought this was a pretty pathetic trick. Where did it lead? At the beginning there was nothing, and at the end there was the corpse of a fly. Such progress. And one still had to get rid of the corpsesā€”although there was an aging lady admirer of the magician who collected them, whenever she could pick them up unnoticed. It disproved the rule: where thereā€™s two thereā€™s always three. One expected a third utterance of the word ā€œflyā€ which would have made the insectā€™s corpse disappear without a trace; in that way things would have been the same at the end as they were at the beginning, except in our memories, which are quite cluttered enough without that.

I must add that he was a fairly mediocre magician, a failure who, having tried his hand at poetry and philosophy without much luck, transferred his ambitions to the art of wonders; and even there he didnā€™t really come up to scratch.

The Art of Climbing Mountains

Alpinism is the art of climbing mountains by confronting the greatest dangers with the greatest prudence. Art is used here to mean the accomplishment of knowledge in action.

You cannot always stay on the summits. You have to come down again . . .

So whatā€™s the point? Only this: what is above knows what is below, what is below does not know what is above. While climbing, take note of all the difficulties along your path. During the descent, you will no longer see them, but you will know that they are there if you have observed carefully.

There is an art to finding your way in the lower regions by the memory of what you have seen when you were higher up. When you can no longer see, you can at least still know. . .

Keep your eyes fixed on the way to the top, but donā€™t forget to look at your feet. The last step depends on the first. Donā€™t think you have arrived just because you see the peak. Watch your feet, be certain of your next step, but donā€™t let this distract you from the highest goal. The first step depends on the last.

Forum List

Back