Leon Panetta to head CIA

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Political Punch

Democratic officials tell ABC News that President-elect Obama has tapped former Rep. Leon Panetta, D-Calif., to serve as director of the Central Intelligence Agency.

Panetta, who served as both director of the Office of Management and Budget and chief of staff for former President Bill Clinton, is well regarded in Washington and served as a member of the Iraq Study Group. But he has little apparent experience in intelligence matters other than during his time in the Army, from which he was discharged in 1966.

Panetta, who served in Congress from 1977 until 1993, is regarded as a good manager. Author of the Hunger Prevention Act of 1988 and the Fair Employment Practices Resolution which extended civil rights protections to employees of the House of Representatives, Panetta chaired the House Committee on the Budget from 1989 until 1993.

-- jpt

Political Punch

Democratic officials tell ABC News that President-elect Obama has tapped former Rep. Leon Panetta, D-Calif., to serve as director of the Central Intelligence Agency.

Panetta, who served as both director of the Office of Management and Budget and chief of staff for former President Bill Clinton, is well regarded in Washington and served as a member of the Iraq Study Group. But he has little apparent experience in intelligence matters other than during his time in the Army, from which he was discharged in 1966.

Panetta, who served in Congress from 1977 until 1993, is regarded as a good manager. Author of the Hunger Prevention Act of 1988 and the Fair Employment Practices Resolution which extended civil rights protections to employees of the House of Representatives, Panetta chaired the House Committee on the Budget from 1989 until 1993.

-- jpt

figures!

I'm baffled by this. This guy has ZERO intelligence experience and he's going to head the CIA during these times??? Are you serious?

I'm baffled by this. This guy has ZERO intelligence experience and he's going to head the CIA during these times??? Are you serious?
Any number of current or retired Military Generals would have been much better choices.

Any number of current or retired Military Generals would have been much better choices.

Not exactly, this is what current CIA head and former Gen Michael Hayden has to say regarding the 4th amendment.

Landay: “…the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution specifies that you must have probable cause to violate an American’s right against unreasonable searches and seizures…”

Hayden: “No, actually - the Fourth Amendment actually protects all of us against unreasonable search and seizure.”

Landay: “But the –”

Hayden: “That’s what it says.”

Landay: “The legal measure is probable cause, it says.”

Hayden: “The Amendment says: unreasonable search and seizure.”

Landay: “But does it not say ‘probable cause’?”

Hayden: “No! The Amendment says unreasonable search and seizure.”

Landay: “The legal standard is probable cause, General — “

Sounds like an interesting choice to me.

The CIA needs to be brought back to working for the US people.

Maybe this will give the people a guy who wont take any justifications for Illegal orpperations.

Colin Powell would've been a GREAT choice.

Time to stock up on ammo. :doubt:

Powell only a good choice if you need a rocking chair warmer. Other than that, he isn't a good choice for much.

Panetta at CIA. Hmmmm.....like Cap Weinburger at DoD?

I had a Congressional Studies class with Leon's nephew at AU. I wonder if that gets me on the list or off it....:lol:

Not exactly, this is what current CIA head and former Gen Michael Hayden has to say regarding the 4th amendment.

Landay: “…the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution specifies that you must have probable cause to violate an American’s right against unreasonable searches and seizures…”

Hayden: “No, actually - the Fourth Amendment actually protects all of us against unreasonable search and seizure.”

Landay: “But the –”

Hayden: “That’s what it says.”

Landay: “The legal measure is probable cause, it says.”

Hayden: “The Amendment says: unreasonable search and seizure.”

Landay: “But does it not say ‘probable cause’?”

Hayden: “No! The Amendment says unreasonable search and seizure.”

Landay: “The legal standard is probable cause, General — “

I don't know who Landay is but he's clearly not a lawyer and has no idea what the 4th amendment says. Luckily the general does.

Landay was trying to leap frog his argument and muddled the 4th Amendment in the process. Landay is talking about criminal procedure jurisprudence, not what the 4th Amendment says.

I don't know who Landay is but he's clearly not a lawyer and has no idea what the 4th amendment says. Luckily the general does.

Landay was trying to leap frog his argument and muddled the 4th Amendment in the process. Landay is talking about criminal procedure jurisprudence, not what the 4th Amendment says.

I think the point of the testimony was what one defines as "unreasonable" If their is no definition then it is just a word. And the amendment is useless and means nothing.

I'm sorry, but shouldn't someone taking the top spot at the CIA actually have experience in the intelligence field?

New Topics

Forum List

Back