Legalize Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by liberalogic, Jan 21, 2006.

1. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I wanted to start this topic because I, personally, have heard many arguments in favor of legalizing marijuana.

I do not think that it should be legalized because I think that while it may not cause as many health problems as "harder" drugs, it still impairs your perception and judgment just as much. Though there is one question that nags me-- Alcohol is a cause of many deaths (especially through drunk driving) and has similar effects on judgment as most drugs; why is it fair for that to be legal and not marijuana? I know prohibition didn't work, but still, allowing alcohol to be legal contradicts the illegality of many drugs.

I will say, though, for medicinal purposes I think that any drug (including marijuana) should be allowed.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Legalize it and tax it and guarantee the buyer is getting what he's paying for.

3. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I think that the trillions we have spent on the "War on Drugs" has been largely wasted. Almost as wasted as the trillions spent on the "War on Poverty"....

I think legalizing MJ would be a good first step towards recognizing the failures of such programs and beginning to look at the problem anew.

4. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I agree. Legalize and regulate it. Being harmful is not a reason to ban something.

5. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I feel it should be treated the same as Alcohol. Not only would the "Stagma" of the pothead be lessened, the coffers of the Government from the City to the Whitehouse would increase greatly just from the taxes but all so from all the people that would be suddenly removed from the Court systems because they had a roach in the butt tray and that seatbelt ticket just got worse. make it Legal and life would be lots better for users and non users alike.

6. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Lol, the tax thing has crossed my mind-- that money can be used for good things. But at the same time, by legalizing it and making it accessible, that gives more people more opportunities to use it irresponsibly. Do you guys think that "harder" drugs should be legalized (and taxed) as well?

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    For me, legalizing marijuana makes sense, as it could provide tax revenue and remove it from it's current use as a 'gateway drug.' I'm not in favor of 'widespread' drug use, like the Netherlands, though see a place for regulating addicts and drugs to take the field away from drug lords. Problem is, new users. So I guess jail is the best defense.

8. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,233
    I say legalize it. It's officialy classified as a hallucinogen. It's effect mostly is that of time and space perception. One under the influence might think they're reacting to something faster, when in reality they're reacting slower.

In any case, I see pot as less damaging to someone than alcohol in the long run.

Legalize it and regulate it as best they can. Hell, I'd grow it if it were legal. What am I saying... I've grown it and it's illegal. :D

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    1. If we legalize pot we are socially condoning one MORE way of avoiding brainwork. It says something about us if we do that.

2. We now have many criminal minds working very hard to distrubute a product that most people say "doesn't harm anyone". Do you think that all these criminal minds are going to say " Damn--I gotta be a law abiding citizen now because the government swiped my gig." ? My guess is that they would find a NEW illegal arena to play in.

10. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Sin tax it (it does alter the person a little) and make sure it's the good stuff not being laced with other drugs.

No, I'm not a pot smoker, but I dated one and he talked about how the American dealers lace it with coke, PCP, etc. IF you make sure that we know what's in it, it'll probably be safer to smoke.