LeBron James just 36 points away from breaking the all time scoring record

Foa1jrgX0AAzOaT

6,961 days ago, LeBron James had his first game versus the Jazz in SLC on January 17, 2004

Foa4aVtaYAA9LNx

It's fitting that LeBron broke the record on a jumper, which used to be what opponents dared him to take as a strategy. Speaks to the work LeBron has put into becoming a truly compete scorer.

He plays OKC tonight. I think he breaks it, but I’m not going to stay up late to watch. Amazing achievement by James to add to his tremendous legacy on the court.
The guys on Sportscenter explained it perfectly. Jordan dominated for a shorter amount of time. Lebron has dominated for a lot longer. Both have an argument for why they are the GOAT. But EVERYONE who knows agrees they'd take Jordan against Lebron every day of the week. He was absolutely DOMINANT for 6 years. Lebron wasn't as dominant but none the less, he dominated for 14 more years than Jordan did.

I say bless them both. Glad I got to see them and Kobe. Basketball would have been less interesting without them. They all ruled the game in their times.

He will never be the "goat" even with the scoring record.

Moving from team to team looking for the best scenarios for a title, hurt his legacy.
True but

He has competed in 10 NBA Finals, the third most all time, including eight consecutively between 2011 and 2018.

Michael Jordan had 6 appearances in the NBA Finals in his career.

Lebron has 4 rings.

There is no question Jordan would have smashed Lebron. Even while Lebron was the best athlete on the court.

OMG thank god he only has 4 championships. Can you image if he had as many as Jordan and Kareem have? He'd be soooo cocky. Even Kobe has 1 more than Lebron.

And what is the most important goal in basketball? It's to win championships. So Lebron is way down the list as far as GOAT's are concerned.

Brady is a great example of a GOAT. He has 7 championships. Mahomes is hoping to win his 2nd. No other active QB has more than 1.

He has competed in 10 NBA Finals, the third most all time, including eight consecutively between 2011 and 2018.

Michael Jordan had 6 appearances in the NBA Finals in his career.

Lebron has 4 rings.

Lebron, to date, has played in well over 300 more games than Jordan. If Jordan played in the same amount, he would be comfortably ahead of James.

L. James is a good player but I will never consider him the GOAT because of the fact he didn't win his first championship until he teamed up with D. Wade in Miami.

He should have stayed in Cleveland, they were close when he left the first time.

Just my 2 cents.

Lebron, to date, has played in well over 300 more games than Jordan. If Jordan played in the same amount, he would be comfortably ahead of James.

L. James is a good player but I will never consider him the GOAT because of the fact he didn't win his first championship until he teamed up with D. Wade in Miami.

He should have stayed in Cleveland, they were close when he left the first time.

Just my 2 cents.
Listening to all the tributes today I will admit Lebron does have a strong case for being the GOAT but IMO he would have at least have to win 2 more championships. Then he won just as many times as Jordan. I don't care if he does it as a 3rd stringer when all his hair is gray. Win 2 more championships and I would have to say that was the GOAT because he did it for so many years.

But take Jordan in his prime. Those 6 seasons he dominated. Lebron would have been just like these guys

1675868619076.jpeg

Reggie
Ewing
Alonzo Mourning

His teams defeated five different teams in the finals: the Lakers, Trailblazers, Suns, Sonics, and Jazz

Barkley. The Bad Boys. All much bigger men who roughed him up and still Jordan won.

Just my 2 cents.
Hey, look at how many times a guy changes teams and it doesn't work out.

And look at Durant. He had to go to Golden State to win 2 championships. He blew it in OKC and will blow it in NJ. I hope they trade him I bet it won't work out.

And Lebron got so lucky Dremont Green is an idiot and got himself kicked out of a few games in the NBA finals. Had Green played those 2 games Lebron would only have 3 championships.

2 with Miami, which aren't that impressive because he needed Wade and Bosch. But hey, it worked out.

And that one he won in LA no one remembers because we were all in a bubble. That one probably doesn't feel good. I'm not impressed with any of his rings and I remember all the failures where he ran out of gas and gave up where Jordan would not have.

Just my 2 cents.
Stephen A Smith said hands down it's Jordan all day every day.

Just my 2 cents.
I think Kobe had a bigger hunger to win than Lebron too. Kobe hated to lose more than Lebron hates to lose. That's the way it seems anyways.

I was thinking about Yianni the Greek Freak. Put him up against Jordan and like Lebron, Yianni may be a better athlete/basketball player. More rounded. More unstoppable. Whatever. But does he insist his team wins? Nope. He seemed to take it too good when he lost to Boston last year. The way he plays, either they won or they didn't. He wasn't going to change the way he plays win or lose.

Jordan would change what was happening to win. I remember where Lebron's team didn't step up like he needed them to and so he just accepted the loss. Rather than take over the game.

Jordan never had a Finals series go to seven games and he never lost in the Finals.

Just my 2 cents.
I watched game 7 Cleveland vs Golden state. His most impressive championship. He’s lucky kyrie was on the team because he hit the game winning 3 not lebron. Lebron missed 2 out of 3 down the stretch. Then the warriors put Lebron on the line and he missed the first one. Barely made the second to put them up 4. But he played well enough to beat the warriors so I’ll give him that.

He also blocked a warrior shot that would have put the warriors up 2. That was very impressive. Reminded me of when teyshawn prince blocked Reggie Miller to send Detroit to the finals. That block definitely goes on Lebron’s career highlights. Maybe his best and most important play ever.

Cleveland is the only team to ever come back from being down 3 to 1. The only reason they did it was because draymond green was kicked out of games 5 and 6. He cost the warriors a 5th title.

I also want people to realize I never rooted for Jordan. I wanted him to lose all 6 times. He never gave me the satisfaction.
When Lebron is retired I will defend his greatness too like I do Jordan. But Jordan will always be the goat.

Just my 2 cents.

What if Jordan played in 10 NBA finals and was 6 for 10?

Lebron has won four NBA championships (two with the Miami Heat, one each with the Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers), and has competed in 10 NBA Finals.

You have to give Lebron credit for going to 4 more than Jordan. This might be the reason over time, Lebron is going to take the title of GOAT.

People like me will die saying Jordan is. 6 for 6 in the finals. Amazing. And I feel like Lebron would have been no different than Karl Malone. A great player who never won a ring because of Michael Jordan. Lots of great basketball players would have rings if not for Jordan.

I was watching a show yesterday on Lebron's trips to the Finals and his performances in the finals. He just didn't take over. The one series he did take over, I believe the only reason he won was because Draymond Green got kicked out of games 5 and 6. Lebron was down 3 to 1. No way Cleveland would have won 3 straight if Green wasn't an idiot.

But still, when you look at Lebron's career over all, no matter where he went, the road to the finals went through him.

And it's a team sport so you can't blame Karl Malone and John Stockton for losing to the Bulls. Better team. Look at Utah's records during the span of MJ's run. They broke all the records. Assists, steals, blocks, blablabla. That was a really great team and duo to have never won one.

Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley. All these great guys who never won one because of Jordan. Lot's of guys got one on Lebron. Like Dirk Nowitski. If that was Jordan playing on the Heat, Dirk never wins a ring.

You have to give Lebron credit for going to 4 more than Jordan. This might be the reason over time, Lebron is going to take the title of GOAT.

Think of how many more Jordan would have if he hadn't left basketball (during his prime) to play baseball. He also only played 15 seasons.

I give Lebron credit for being a great player, he is. But I will never consider him GOAT.

Now, if he would have stayed in Cleveland and won 4 rings, went to 10 Finals, then he would possibly be in the running. But, not with the path he chose.

And like you said, one of those rings were basically given to him when D. Green was suspended.

Think of how many more Jordan would have if he hadn't left basketball (during his prime) to play baseball. He also only played 15 seasons.

I give Lebron credit for being a great player, he is. But I will never consider him GOAT.

Now, if he would have stayed in Cleveland and won 4 rings, went to 10 Finals, then he would possibly be in the running. But, not with the path he chose.

And like you said, one of those rings were basically given to him when D. Green was suspended.
I agree. You had to see Jordan OWN the league to understand what we are talking about. Jordan is the GOAT. But in 10 years from now kids are going to say it was Lebron.

I'm sure when Jordan won his 5th championship and we started saying he was the GOAT, there were some older guys who said the same thing about him. In their minds this guy is the GOAT

Bill Russell holds the record for the most NBA championships won with 11 titles during his 13-year playing career.

Just my 2 cents.
Did you see curry score 50 game 7 against the kings?

2 of the 3 top teams in the West got bounced. Curry and Lebron taught those young boys how it’s done.

Will Denver make the finals? They’ll have to beat the suns first, then curry or Lebron then most likely Boston. I’m rooting for Denver or Boston.

But somehow curry and lebron aren’t heels to me right now. It might be cool to see Lebron or curry win another.

Forum List

Back