Lebanon: How Will This End?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    My guess is civil war, again:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050310/ap_on_re_mi_ea/lebanon_syria

2. Shangrila

Shangrila Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been in this country 5 years ago and discussed a lot with people.
    I have understood that people I met :
    - were upset by syrians vexations (merely dues to syrians secret services which in fact ruled the country) : anti-syrians ?
    - fear that civil war could come again as they remenbered the attrocities of it : some of the pro-syrians ?

So long protestations (pro or anti syrians) has been pacific. We should support any action which helps Lebannais making again their country free and peaceful by and for themselves.
    We should avoid anything that could export there a fight between good guys / bad guys, muslims / christians ...

Remember that the civil war envolved a lot of people which were not libannais : palestinians, israeliens, syrians.
    Looks like they exported their own conflicts to the country which were peaceful until this time. let's not make so, even if it's for good reasons.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I'm afraid there's no stopping it---Bush has stated very clearly that we will support people anwhere who seek democracy.

4. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    "All the Lebanese want to know their enemy, the enemy of Lebanon ..."

Answer is easy for those that have eyes to see.

Syria has been the area peace keeper since the 1970s when Israel was driven out.

Who overthrew the government of Iran & put in the puppet government, Shah of Iran ? (Subsequently driven out by the people of Iran.)

Who subsequently armed Iraq to make war on Iran ?

Who could be interested in destabilizing Lebanon so as to drive Syria out ?

Who has recently made war threats against most countries of the middle east and the Muslim world in general ?

Who has everything to gain by killing Hariri ? ( Hint: It certainly isn't Syria.)

This is your last "clue": Who made war against Iraq based on absurd lies -- the same lies now being used against Syria?

If you haven't figured it out yet, there's little hope for you, -- look below for the answer.

answer: THE CHIMP and the United States Government. Woweeee. Surprised ? :tinfoil:

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Regardless of things in the past: who is seeking to spread freedom of all kinds and who is a nation empowered by hezbollah and their oppressive tactics.

6. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    The Bush Doctrine is the only doctrine in the past 100 years to provide positive results in the M.E., Spilly you know this do not deny it.

Lets list the countries currently enacting democratic reforms since our actions there:

Afghanistan
    Iraq
    Lebanon
    Egypt
    Qatar

Pretty successful for basically 3 years of work by any standard.

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Syria has been keeping the peace in Lebanon? yeah right.

A country that was once 80% Christian (Lebanon) is now 20% Christian. The Syrian MUSLIMS drove them out. That is NOT keeping the peace. That is a form of national identity genocide.

8. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Who says that liberals are apologists for terrorists, dictators and thugs? Me, that's who!
    I suppose Hitler kept the peace in Germany, Poland and other occupied countries too, at least by your line of "reasoning".....

By the way, have you paid any attention to what is going on in Lebanon? I doubt it, you probably were too busy swinging from a branch or listening to Michael Blowhard Moore badmouth this country. Who is putting those people up to protesting the Syrian presence? I wouldn't be surprised to hear you claim that the CIA is behind it or that the Lebanese "aren't ready" for liberty as if the Lebanese and the people are too dull witted to want freedom, are too cowardly to put themselves in harm's way to get it, are too selfish to sacrifice something for it and that the only way they would take to the street is when the Americans poke them with a stick.

Speaking of which, this week's Weekly Standard has a photo of one of those young kids that are protesting the Syrian presence in the streets of Beirut. These kids are living in tents and risking their lives for the cause of freedom (the Syrian secret police are everywhere). I guess that suffering breeds character. Those kids sure could teach our youngsters here at home a thing or two. Unlike the privileged, spoiled and overindulged brats that pass for student antiwar protesters in this country, who take to the streets to protest a war that liberates people, who are willing patsies for dictators. I have to tell you, I feel a great sense of shame when I consider that there are 19 year olds standing up for freedom in another country like the Patriots of Old, while their American counterparts are busy helping to tear down the very cause that they stand for.

P.S. I hope that I live long enough to see the day that the only place on this planet where freedom of expression and the right to express a dissenting opinion without fear of reprisal do not exist is at http://www.democraticunderground.com !

9. Hristowl

Hristowl Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really. The demographic balance shifted in favour of Lebanese Muslims back in the 70s and the Christians refused to alter the confessional balance of the constitution accordingly until 1990 (and under Syrian duress), by which time there there had been 15 years of civil war. It's a lot more complicated than that of course, but the current demography of Lebanon cannot be blamed on Syria.

10. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,207
    i thought it was pretty obvious why he came to the conclusion. He hates President Bush and thinks he is more evil than Hitler. course its all in his head. but lets just nod our heads and pretend he didnt say anything:)