Lawsuits Use Mafia Law Against BP

R

rdean

MIAMI (AP) -- Using a law originally enacted to combat the Mafia, attorneys are filing lawsuits accusing BP PLC and Transocean Ltd. of committing a longterm series of crimes by concealing flaws in deepwater drilling plans and lacking safeguards to contain a catastrophic Gulf of Mexico spill.

The lawsuits accuse both companies of committing wire and mail fraud over a number of years by filing false documents with the U.S. government, and by misleading investors through other documents and falsehoods. They also claim both companies are guilty of bribery because they are part of an overall oil and gas industry effort to "infiltrate" federal regulators by providing favors such as alcohol and drugs, sex, golf and ski trips, concert and sports tickets, and more.

"The pattern of racketeering activity engaged in by defendants involves a scheme to fraudulently create a pretense of safety to the public while, at every turn, seeking to avoid the costs associated with actually conducting their operations in a safe manner," claims a lawsuit filed by Louisiana attorney Daniel Becnel and others on behalf of a restaurant seeking to represent a huge class of businesses suffering economic loss from the oil spill.

Lawsuits Use Mafia Law Against BP

Isn't it about time?
handcuffs.jpg

The RICO laws are scary as hell.

I totally understand why they were enacted, and having them has had a good effect on getting organized criminal king pins in prison.

But this legal tool can so easily be abused.

The RICO laws are scary as hell.

I totally understand why they were enacted, and having them has had a good effect on getting organized criminal king pins in prison.

But this legal tool can so easily be abused.

Like BP abused this country. Republicans must be "freaking out", terrified for their corporate masters.

I would have thought Republicans would be screaming "foul" over this from the Florida coastline to the Mississippi Delta. Their precious and beloved BP being charged with "racketeering" and "bribery"?

And just in time of the November elections. As every illicit detail comes up, Republicans will be apologizing again and again to BP.

FORGIVE THEM BP, FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO!!!
6638D-supplication.jpg

Forum List

Back