Law School after 50

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Ever consider it? Going back to get a JD, I mean. I was 51 when I started law school.

Contrary to popular belief there is a shortage of lawyers in America today:

Rural Americans are increasingly without lawyers even as law school graduates are increasingly without jobs. Just 2 percent of small law practices are in rural areas, where nearly a fifth of the country lives, recent data show.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/u...ay-to-fill-a-need-for-rural-lawyers.html?_r=0

It was hard, and I thought I would die before I got out. I had surgery twice, my cat died, I moved, my car quit. There just seemed to be no end to problems that wouldn't have been much of a deal taking care of if not for the academic load.

Of course, there are always those who tell you that you are crazy for doing it.

Did you know that most who go to law school never practice as attorneys. Many are doctors, nurses, business people who just want to be better at what they do.

Interested? Any questions? I'll be glad to fill you in on what it takes.

I got into law school twice and changed my mind twice.

I'd love to study Constitutional Law, but perhaps after I retire. In the meantime, gots to earn some moneys.

That is a very nice offer, Sunshine. I've always been fascinated with courtrooms. I like listening to the judge and the lawyers interact. That can be quite interesting. lol. When I helped some of our neighbors file for petitions to arrest on a neighborhood bully they said I'd make a good lawyer! The bully lost in court. lol.. I've got the boldness for it but I don't think I have the ability to study and get high grades. It's alot of school and I'd be starting with a Ged.

I got into law school twice and changed my mind twice.

I'd love to study Constitutional Law, but perhaps after I retire. In the meantime, gots to earn some moneys.

Where I studied Con law was a 3rd year course. You had to pay a lot of dues to get there! LOL. But it was worth it. That mind change thing happens to a lot. The attrition rate is very high in law school, particularly where I went. Any student who can just be a student has it really good. Pretty much all of us were working or raising families or both. I recall one young man who said, 'I'm going to have to figure out how to integrate myself back into my family.' Seems his wife had pretty much developed her own routine and schedule while he was working, going to school, and studying.

That is a very nice offer, Sunshine. I've always been fascinated with courtrooms. I like listening to the judge and the lawyers interact. That can be quite interesting. lol. When I helped some of our neighbors file for petitions to arrest on a neighborhood bully they said I'd make a good lawyer! The bully lost in court. lol.. I've got the boldness for it but I don't think I have the ability to study and get high grades. It's alot of school and I'd be starting with a Ged.

[MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION]?

What do you call a judge who graduated last in his class?

Your Honor.

That is pretty good, Sunshine! First time I've heard that. I'm thinking about it. It is interesting that my mentor is a lawyer. ( the author of book you just read ) He was in corporate law though. I'd be interested in criminal law.

That is pretty good, Sunshine! First time I've heard that. I'm thinking about it. It is interesting that my mentor is a lawyer. ( the author of book you just read ) He was in corporate law though. I'd be interested in criminal law.

[MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION]

My last semester in law school I was so tired, I must have looked 100 years old, I felt it. I had my GPA figured and knew that I could make all Ds for the rest of the year and still have a good enough GPA to graduate. That semester my mantra was D stands for degree. You will not take a million dollars for it. But you wouldn't do it again for a million dollars. Go for it. The nurse attorney gave me this advice: Take the LSAT and get in. Then go take a class. You don't have to go full time. Just take a class and see how you like it. Well, I took the LSAT but I didn't really prepare for it. There are study guides and I recommend you get one and prepare for it. My LSAT score was not stellar, and I actually thought I had scored too low to get in. One day I was cleaning the house and ran across it. I realized I had misread the score and it was enough to get me in. So I got my references an, applied immediately, and got in.

Okay, I will take the test and see how I do. Nothing to lose by taking a test. I have time to take a class or two. I have a friend who is now taking a Chemistry class because she wanted to learn about it. She's my age.

Ever consider it? Going back to get a JD, I mean. I was 51 when I started law school.

Contrary to popular belief there is a shortage of lawyers in America today:

Rural Americans are increasingly without lawyers even as law school graduates are increasingly without jobs. Just 2 percent of small law practices are in rural areas, where nearly a fifth of the country lives, recent data show.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/u...ay-to-fill-a-need-for-rural-lawyers.html?_r=0

It was hard, and I thought I would die before I got out. I had surgery twice, my cat died, I moved, my car quit. There just seemed to be no end to problems that wouldn't have been much of a deal taking care of if not for the academic load.

Of course, there are always those who tell you that you are crazy for doing it.

Did you know that most who go to law school never practice as attorneys. Many are doctors, nurses, business people who just want to be better at what they do.

Interested? Any questions? I'll be glad to fill you in on what it takes.

I worked with a paralegal once. He said the problem is knowing where to look for information.

I don't think we could financially afford law school.

I got some licenses in my field at 40. Not school mind you, but hard study material. My teacher went on to get all the licenses necessary because she loved "school"....not me no way. But I admire people like that

Last edited:
Congratulations

Shows you are never to old. You should be proud

Forum List

Back