Last Stand with Honor

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
"PHILADELPHIA -- In ancient Greece, the Spartans made their stand with 300. In wrestling, the Boston University Terriers are down to three.

Nestor Taffur, Tyler Scotton and Mitchell Wightman qualified Sunday for the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. How long they last at nationals will be how long wrestling lasts at their school – under its plan to drop the sport after this season.

Carl Adams, in his 33rd year as coach, has preached staying positive. The test Sunday was the 18-team Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA) tournament. At the Palestra, the historic basketball gym, the action was on four mats. BU tied for 10th in the tournament, won by Cornell."

Boston U. goes out fighting in demise of wrestling

Making it to the NCAA Div. 1 Wrestling Championships is a serious accomplishment. One of which very few people in the nation can boast and one that represents countless hours, days, months, years of tireless and often thankless hard work and sacrifice. If they have to go out, going out with honor and a fight to the last is fitting for a great program and a very great coach. Best of luck to Carl, Nestor and the guys.

It's a crime what they are doing to this program, this coach, and these kids. Props to them all for going out with class if they must go out.

I, for one, will never buy a damn thing from New Balance again.

It's a crime what they are doing to this program, this coach, and these kids. Props to them all for going out with class if they must go out.

It's a shame what they have done. When I was young I loved to wrestle. I Never did it competitively, but us kids would get together and do our thing. The rules back then were simple: no hitting, kicking or biting and the bout ended when someone said “I give.”

Wrestling is a test of strength, agility, endurance and cunning and these skills will always be relevant. Wrestling is also one of the safest contact sports I know.

Go figure.

I remember a match I had in high school. The coach was refereeing. He was a hard-nosed SOB and had been there at least 10 years. My opponent and I pulled out every move in the book scoring and counter-scoring. We were both totally exhausted. I think I took the match- don't remember. Don't care.

Coach said it was the best match-up he ever saw. I went to the locker room and puked my guts.

New Balance didn't write Title IX.

New Balance didn't write Title IX.

No, they wrote the check behind this whole ugly mess. Read up on the full story.

I did, which is why I know it was Title IX, all NB did was write a check to support a different team.

Last edited:
You don't seem to be grasping the whole story here. In the end, it doesn't matter if you do or not.

The D1 finals will be televised. A good take for anyone with an interest in the sport. The best athletes in the entire country pitted in single combat (to put it dramatically, I know).

You don't seem to be grasping the whole story here. In the end, it doesn't matter if you do or not.

I get the whole story, much better than you.

New Balance wrote a check to the school to support a sport they believe will better serve their marketing needs. This resulted in the school choosing to accept that check, and cutting other sports due to the requirements imposed by Tittle IX spending restrictions, or turning down the money and cutting both the wrestling program and the field hockey program.

Did I miss anything?

LOL, that's funny. There have been concerned alumni and others working this issue since the day it was sprung on everyone. There have been investigations, interviews, and meetings with members of the board of trustees, the AD, and people from NB. Are you among the alumni and others working this problem? No? Then don't boast about knowing "much better than" people involved in exposing this dirty deal from the beginning.

LOL, that's funny. There have been concerned alumni and others working this issue since the day it was sprung on everyone. There have been investigations, interviews, and meetings with members of the board of trustees, the AD, and people from NB. Are you among the alumni and others working this problem? No? Then don't boast about knowing "much better than" people involved in exposing this dirty deal from the beginning.

Yet you failed to address what caused it.

Why am I not surprised?

Blaming New Balance for something they had nothing to do with is about as intelligent as blaming Bush for what happened in Ukraine.

University to Discontinue Wrestling in 2014 | BU Today | Boston University

Boston University wrestlers make last-ditch effort to save program | Inside Higher Ed

PDF http://usa-sports.org/TitleIX.pdf

Are you familiar with the Smiley family endowment (now, not after you google it)? With what it costs to run a wrestling program relative to other sports? With the history of success on many levels of BU Wrestling and the supposed aims and values of sport at the university? Of the history of the coach? Of the actions of the AD in all this, and whose pockets were lined with NB $ through it all? No, I didn't think so.

Are you familiar with the Smiley family endowment (now, not after you google it)? With what it costs to run a wrestling program relative to other sports? With the history of success on many levels of BU Wrestling and the supposed aims and values of sport at the university? Of the history of the coach? Of the actions of the AD in all this, and whose pockets were lined with NB $ through it all? No, I didn't think so.

Did New Balance cancel the endowment? If not, why the fuck are you blaming them? Is it because you hate shoes?

Forum List

Back