Largest dam removal in US history approved

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The federal government is giving the greenlight to the largest dam removal in U.S. history, paving the way for unprecedented restoration of the Klamath River basin in California and Oregon.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has given the final stamp of approval for four dams along the lower Klamath River to be removed, reinstating access to more than 300 miles of habitat for salmon and improving water quality. After years of talks, FERC said on Thursday that they "approve the surrender of the Lower Klamath Project license and the proposed removal of the four project developments [the dams]."

This comes after a decades-long push from river basin tribes whose livelihood and culture are intertwined with the river. The Yurok Tribe told ABC News that if the salmon disappear from the river - so do they as a people.

This is kind of cool just because I have never read or come across a dam removal before. I've only read about building them and the oh-crap-the-dam-broke kind of stuff.

The federal government is giving the greenlight to the largest dam removal in U.S. history, paving the way for unprecedented restoration of the Klamath River basin in California and Oregon.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has given the final stamp of approval for four dams along the lower Klamath River to be removed, reinstating access to more than 300 miles of habitat for salmon and improving water quality. After years of talks, FERC said on Thursday that they "approve the surrender of the Lower Klamath Project license and the proposed removal of the four project developments [the dams]."

This comes after a decades-long push from river basin tribes whose livelihood and culture are intertwined with the river. The Yurok Tribe told ABC News that if the salmon disappear from the river - so do they as a people.

This is kind of cool just because I have never read or come across a dam removal before. I've only read about building them and the oh-crap-the-dam-broke kind of stuff.
I love the great outdoors and as a canoeist/kayaker, naturally love free flowing rivers. That said, I also pay energy bills. While TN has some of the lowest, California has the highest of the 49 states on this continent. Surprising the salmon, ecology and conservation people won out over the power consumer and lakeside developers. All 4 lakes are regionally popular. The 4 dams all are power generators, two providing up to 27 MW apiece and two at 17 MW apiece. All 4 dams operated by Berkshire Hathaway, who is actually picking up a third of the price of the project.

dam removal is getting to be pretty common,,

Yep..other than small dams I haven't heard of this being done.
The before and after shots should be interesting.
Wonder if people have lakefront property on the lakes?
I know I'd be pissed if I paid good money for lakefront property only to have the gov come along and take it.

Then just cut a giant hole in the bottom of the dam.

Pave over the top of the dam and use it as a bridge.

No need in wasting trillions of dollars to remove something they will just rebuild in 10 years.
Removing the dams will not cost a trillion dollars.

Forum List

Back