Laid-off workers occupy Chicago factory, seek pay

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
CHICAGO (Reuters) – Invoking Main Street resentment of Wall Street's federal bailout, some 200 workers entered their third day of occupying a shuttered Chicago window and door factory on Sunday, demanding that Bank of America agree to pay them severance plus vacation pay.

Workers belonging to the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers union began their peaceful occupation of the plant on Friday after family-owned Republic Windows & Doors said it was closing after Bank of America canceled its line of credit.

more ... Laid-off workers occupy Chicago factory, seek pay - Yahoo! News

fuck it. they are too proletariat to count in this free market capitalist culture. Clearly, every single one of them should have learned Java programming.

Bank of America wrote it's own terms of a bailout last summer and presented them to Congress marked confidential. You mean the workers can't write their own bailout package?

Ah, before you get a check you first must write a check.

Bank of America's political action committee (PAC) has donated $20,000 to Dodd since he became chairman of the banking panel 17 months ago. From January 2007 to March 2008, Bank of America employees have donated at least $50,400 to Dodd's campaigns, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. So, while Dodd's sweetheart loan from Countrywide saves him personally $200 per month, his chairmanship earns him politically more than $1,000 per week.

Bubble Meter: "The Bank of America Bailout Bill"

Thank you for this information Gunny.

It is not suprising to me. Another small business owner that came along and tried to assist me during the period my business was getting stomped out. He paid me in advance for $5,000.00 worth of materials to help me cover my operating expenses. My bank was shafting me out of $80,000.00 at the time. It was just a few months later his small business million dollar line of credit was closed out from the same bank.

A lot of these bankers belong in jail for conspiracy.

Bank of America was among several U.S. banks to receive funding from a $700 billion federal bailout package designed to stabilize the financial system.

The laid-off workers hoisted placards saying, "Bank of America: You got bailed out. We got sold out."

Oh, the irony! Too true, and how many others is this going to happen to?

Good for the workers, though, unfortunately, I don't think it will do them any good, but................ Power to the Little Guy!

Thank you for this information Gunny.

It is not suprising to me. Another small business owner that came along and tried to assist me during the period my business was getting stomped out. He paid me in advance for $5,000.00 worth of materials to help me cover my operating expenses. My bank was shafting me out of $80,000.00 at the time. It was just a few months later his small business million dollar line of credit was closed out from the same bank.

A lot of these bankers belong in jail for conspiracy.

I already didn't like BofA. Had an account with them at one time. They had a fee for thinking about writing a check.

This wrong and I want to know where our government is with their arms all up in the air frantically bailing these employees out. BofA is responsible for their problems, these employees are not, but look who gets screwed ... the little guys.

From the article:

The downturn in home construction doomed the plant

Seems like there is more to this story than just an evil bank pressing the little guy under its thumb.

Look for more stories like this as the recession claims more and more companies and jobs.

But wait! There's more: Even companies that won't fold will lay off workers down to skeleton staffs because of Obama's promise to make union organizing against companies easier.

But wait! There's more: Obama promises to raise taxes on medium and large companies. Look for them to pare down their workforce even more.

But wait! There's more: Obama will cause even more workers to be laid off by small businesses because of his promise to raise the minimum wage.

But wait! There's more: Look for exporting companies affected by free trade agreements to lay off even more workers because of Obama's promise to the unions to reintroduce tariffs and trade restrictions.

But wait! There's more: Obama has promised to thoroughly screw up the energy and related industries by subsidizing "green initiatives" where not so green companies have to compete against government picked favorites. This will lead to even more company shutdowns.

But wait! There's more: Obama is going to penalize companies with a carbon cap and trade system that will lead to even more plant shutdowns and layoffs.

But Wait! There's more: Obama is promising to take over the health care industry, pushing it to lay off workers in anticipation of being forced out of business.

But wait! There's more: Obama promises to provide make work projects so that all of these workers that he has caused to lose their jobs can learn to pour concrete for the government...

This is basically a modern day version of FDR's plan to cut short the recession he inherited from Hoover. Instead he turned it into what is now known as the Great Depression, prolonging it another seven years...

What was that Obama said about "hope" and "change"? :confused:

Last edited:
I already didn't like BofA. Had an account with them at one time. They had a fee for thinking about writing a check.

This wrong and I want to know where our government is with their arms all up in the air frantically bailing these employees out. BofA is responsible for their problems, these employees are not, but look who gets screwed ... the little guys.
No disagreement here. The thing is though politics has a way of pushing buttons to get the little guys to support these people who are protecting the bad banks. I would have never known how bad it was with these banks if it had not been the experience of the last seven years. up until 2000 I had never really been involved with any bank more than checking accounts, $5,000.00 line of credit and a few short term car loans we paid off early.

They took on a whole new look for me when I learned how many of these people really make their money.

Last edited:
Gord you miss the fact that some bankers have paid themselves alone up too $120,000,000.00 a year because they were supposedly making their companies $503,000,000,000.00 year. The banks inflated their net profits through creative accounting and now they wish to have everyone else pay for their proclaimed downfall.

Gord you miss the fact that some bankers have paid themselves alone up too $120,000,000.00 a year because they were supposedly making their companies $503,000,000,000.00 year. The banks inflated their net profits through creative accounting and now they wish to have everyone else pay for their proclaimed downfall.
What has that got to do with my post? Do you think that that justifies Obama's insane plans for the economy? :confused:

From the article:

Seems like there is more to this story than just an evil bank pressing the little guy under its thumb.

Look for more stories like this as the recession claims more and more companies and jobs.

But wait! There's more: Even companies that won't fold will lay off workers down to skeleton staffs because of Obama's promise to make union organizing against companies easier.

But wait! There's more: Obama promises to raise taxes on medium and large companies. Look for them to pare down their workforce even more.

But wait! There's more: Obama will cause even more workers to be laid off by small businesses because of his promise to raise the minimum wage.

But wait! There's more: Look for exporting companies affected by free trade agreements to lay off even more workers because of Obama's promise to the unions to reintroduce tariffs and trade restrictions.

But wait! There's more: Obama has promised to thoroughly screw up the energy and related industries by subsidizing "green initiatives" where not so green companies have to compete against government picked favorites. This will lead to even more company shutdowns.

But wait! There's more: Obama is going to penalize companies with a carbon cap and trade system that will lead to even more plant shutdowns and layoffs.

But Wait! There's more: Obama is promising to take over the health care industry, pushing it to lay off workers in anticipation of being forced out of business.

But wait! There's more: Obama promises to provide make work projects so that all of these workers that he has caused to lose their jobs can learn to pour concrete for the government...

This is basically a modern day version of FDR's plan to cut short the recession he inherited from Hoover. Instead he turned it into what is now known as the Great Depression, prolonging it another seven years...

What was that Obama said about "hope" and "change"? :confused:

The fact is, these workers are owed money, by law and they aren't getting it. All that trying to lay it on Obama before he's even President is crap.

And I would really appreciate it if you'd quit forcing me to defend him.:eusa_eh:

The fact is, these workers are owed money, by law and they aren't getting it. All that trying to lay it on Obama before he's even President is crap.

And I would really appreciate it if you'd quit forcing me to defend him.:eusa_eh:

But, you make a good point. Obama can't do anything about the economy until he is president. Gord can only speculate. Nothing is laid in stone, and nobody knows what is going to happen.

Facts are, the workers should get paid their fair wages, and once again the little guys are getting screwed by the big cheese.

I'm just going on what Obama promised and was supposedly elected to do. Those things are his mandate. I am simply pointing out that they are very much like what FDR did and will end up with the same result as FDR.

I find it rather amusing that you think I am to blame for you defending Obama... :lol:

What are you - my little sock-puppet? :tongue:

But, you make a good point. Obama can't do anything about the economy until he is president. Gord can only speculate. Nothing is laid in stone, and nobody knows what is going to happen.

Facts are, the workers should get paid their fair wages, and once again the little guys are getting screwed by the big cheese.
Then you don't understand how the economy works. Companies are right now looking at Obama's promises and making plans in accordance with how they think they will be affected by them. There are going to be a lot of layoffs over the next few months, and a good percentage of them will be in anticipation of Obama's plans. In fact there will be juggling at companies to take advantage of tax stipulations before years end. Obama is already causing people to lose their jobs.

What has that got to do with my post? Do you think that that justifies Obama's insane plans for the economy? :confused:

No one is looking at the whole picture of what just happened concerning what is being called the economy.

The only thing anyone can do at this time is work at putting the people back to work.

You put out a lot of stuff in that post with no substance so people can really understand what has actually happened to this so called economy.

It is not a Bush or Obama thing, a Dem or Rep thing.

No one is looking at the whole picture of what just happened concerning what is being called the economy.

The only thing anyone can do at this time is work at putting the people back to work.

You put out a lot of stuff in that post with no substance so people can really understand what has actually happened to this so called economy.

It is not a Bush or Obama thing, a Dem or Rep thing.
The substance is in what Obama campaigned on. Companies always plan for the future. They look for signals and clues for what to expect. You can be damn sure they are looking at Obama's platform and are shaking in their boots. This is very quickly going to become the Obama recession, if it isn't already. His plans are eerily like those of FDR. And FDR's "fixes" turned out to be a complete disaster that took a world war to turn around.

DAMN these gotta spread some around rep rules!!! IOU one!

those are the facts!

QUOTE FROM PICK OF THE WEEK AT PREDATORIX....The substance is in what Obama campaigned on. Companies always plan for the future. They look for signals and clues for what to expect. You can be damn sure they are looking at Obama's platform and are shaking in their boots. This is very quickly going to become the Obama recession, if it isn't already. His plans are eerily like those of FDR. And FDR's "fixes" turned out to be a complete disaster that took a world war to turn around.
The bankers who have been stripping the public funds that are the ones shaking in their boots.

The first article from Bloomberg is titled, "Bernanke Says U.S. Must Step Up Foreclosure Efforts" is self explanatory. However, I would like to note that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, meaning that this should have been prevented years ago when American homeowners were complaining about predatory banks and servicers, such as Wells Fargo, ORIX, and others who were streamrolling borrowers with judgments 2x to even 3x times the loan amount.............PREDATORIX.COM

The bankers who have been stripping the public funds that are the ones shaking in their boots.
Not any more. Do you think that after sinking all that money into them Obama will now let them die? Not a chance. They're "too big to fail"... :lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back