Labor Chiefs Plan Rally Against Bush Near Garden

T

TheOne

Labor Chiefs Plan Rally Against Bush Near Garden
By STEVEN GREENHOUSE

Published: August 3, 2004

Adding to the stew of protests planned during the Republican National Convention, New York labor leaders announced yesterday that they would hold a rally on Sept. 1 at which tens of thousands of union members would demonstrate against President Bush.

Labor leaders said the rally would be held near Madison Square Garden, the site of the convention scheduled from Aug. 30 to Sept. 2, to send a strong message to Republicans about what the labor officials said were Mr. Bush's antiworker and antiunion policies.

"George Bush is the working person's worst nightmare,'' said Brian M. McLaughlin, the president of the New York City Central Labor Council. "He has attempted to roll back labor laws and workers' rights as far as he can."

article

dilloduck said:
The Dems ALWAYS drag out the labor unions to do thier dirty work-no surprise here.

Yes, I am quite sure the DNC is paying them to protest. The protests in NYC at the end of this month will be of EPIC proportions. But I guess Bush is a uniter so it's all good.

Oh the unions will get paid all right, but only if Kerry gets elected. Do you really think the unions are backing Kerry because there is nothing in it for them?

Protests of EPIC porportions. Wow.

Of course, there are also the unions that are not giving Kerry the time of day because of his VP choice.

Not to mention the union members who realize that Bush's policies are better for America then Kerry's.

But that wouldn't fit into your world view, would it?

gop_jeff said:
Of course, there are also the unions that are not giving Kerry the time of day because of his VP choice.

Not to mention the union members who realize that Bush's policies are better for America then Kerry's.

But that wouldn't fit into your world view, would it?

Links? And what percentage of labor unions are we talking about here? 50%, 5%?

Chew on this while you're looking for all these pro-Bush unions...

Labor unions begin early, unprecedented push to defeat Bush

By Leigh Strope / AP Labor Writer

WASHINGTON -- Jobs are sending union members to the streets and, labor leaders hope, to the polls in November for Democrat John Kerry.

In labor’s largest election mobilization effort so far, thousands of union members will knock on tens of thousands of doors Saturday, in what ultimately will be nearly 100 cities by month’s end to talk about the loss of good-paying jobs, the economy, health care and the presidential election.

“This is the earliest walk we’ve ever done and the largest walk of this magnitude,” said Karen Ackerman, the AFL-CIO’s political director.

Voter mobilization on behalf of Democrats is what labor does best, and union member-to-member contact, research shows, influences both turnout and vote.

The AFL-CIO is spending a record $44 million on get-out-the-vote efforts to defeat President Bush, concentrating heavily on 17 battleground states. The tab doesn’t include the multimillion-dollar political budgets of the federation’s 61 unions.

article

Labor’s strength in the workplace has been plummeting, falling to just 12.9 percent of the work force
There's a good reason for that. Some people don't like some of the stuff unions do.

I don't understand how Bush is directly to blame for every person who has lost their job.

I also think it's odd how a lot of these union people always talk about the tactics of the heartless management people in these companies, but they don't say much about the tactics of unions (trying to bully people into voting for unionization, using member's union dues to pay for things they don't agree with, etc).

I'm not saying that all unions are like this. I'm sure there are plenty that aren't. At the same time, a lot of these corporations are not as bad as people say they are.

Go here, here, here, and here to find out more information.

Forum List

Back