Kremlin threatens to expel all UK media if Britain shuts down Russian broadcaster.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
'One should not threaten a nuclear power,' a foreign ministry spokesperson said.

Russia says that "not a single British media outlet" will be able to work in the country if the UK shuts down Russia Today.

Its foreign ministry made the threat amid suggestions from British regulator Ofcom that it could not renew the license of the state-funded TV channel. Ofcom's announcement came amid increasing tensions between the UK and Russia following the poisoning of a spy on British soil with a nerve agent.

The warning came in a press conference in which a foreign ministry spokeswoman responded to recent tensions by saying "one should not threaten a nuclear power", according to state news organisation RIA.

Kremlin threatens to expel all UK media if Britain shuts down Russian broadcaster

• Banned
Quote:

"Not a single British media outlet will work in our country if they shut down Russia Today (RT)," the news agency cited Maria Zakharova as saying on state television.

RT, or Russia Today, is a round-the-clock news network that is funded by Vladimir Putin's government. With tensions growing between London and Moscow over the attack on Sergei Skripal, and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury, some lawmakers have said RT should be blocked in Britain.

Ofcom, which enforces the broadcasting code in Britain, has an ongoing duty to check that holders of licences are "fit and proper". It said on Tuesday any ruling that Russia had acted unlawfully against Britain over the poisoning would be taken into consideration when assessing the network.

'One should not threaten a nuclear power'
Not the best choice of words.. holy crap

'One should not threaten a nuclear power,' a foreign ministry spokesperson said.

Russia says that "not a single British media outlet" will be able to work in the country if the UK shuts down Russia Today.

Its foreign ministry made the threat amid suggestions from British regulator Ofcom that it could not renew the license of the state-funded TV channel. Ofcom's announcement came amid increasing tensions between the UK and Russia following the poisoning of a spy on British soil with a nerve agent.

The warning came in a press conference in which a foreign ministry spokeswoman responded to recent tensions by saying "one should not threaten a nuclear power", according to state news organisation RIA.

Kremlin threatens to expel all UK media if Britain shuts down Russian broadcaster
How dare the Brits make accusations against a country with a history of killing it's adversaries with poisonous substances....(But really Putin prefers radiation)

Theresa May is going to look very stupid, if proof comes out that Putin had nothing to do with it.
Pootin is already looking smooth and electable to gays for launching his new sonic missile....Oh now we know what they mean by a hung jury...

• Banned

How dare the Brits make accusations against a country with a history of killing it's adversaries with poisonous substances....(But really Putin prefers radiation)

They are accusations and assumptions at this stage.

Why on earth would Putin risk stuff like this, with the World Cup coming up, which Russia is hosting?

And Mrs May has bungled so many things since becoming Prime Minister, this latest may be a misjudged attempt at being seen as strong.

Issues an ultimatum to Russia? That's a joke. As if Putin could care less.

Why on earth would Putin risk stuff like this, with the World Cup coming up, which Russia is hosting?

And Mrs May has bungled so many things since becoming Prime Minister, this latest may be a misjudged attempt at being seen as strong.

Well would you feel better if she said nothing at all?

Well would you feel better if she said nothing at all?

Irrelevant.

Maybe she could comply with the Russian request to supply some of that nerve agent for them to examine.

When an act is so blatant and done with no regard to hide it ...one has to wonder if it was done to frame a nation...to show them in a bad light...If Putin wanted this guy dead I doubt he would have done it in broad daylight with the fore knowledge that everyone will be looking to him as the guilty party...He is ruthless but not stupid...

and May is an idiot...regardless of what happened she is a tool....

When an act is so blatant and done with no regard to hide it ...one has to wonder if it was done to frame a nation...to show them in a bad light...If Putin wanted this guy dead I doubt he would have done it in broad daylight with the fore knowledge that everyone will be looking to him as the guilty party...He is ruthless but not stupid...

Who knows really? I have lived long enough to think the simplest solution is often the right one, but also that it is really dangerous to assume/speculate just because the assumption/speculation seems so obvious. Did Russian intelligence put out a contract on those people? I wouldn't be surprised but do we really know that? I'm pretty sure our own government is not above a clandestine assassination here and there in the interest of national security or whatever so why not Russia? Why not Britain?

But isn't the normal response of law enforcement to look for and arrest the person committing the murder and go from there rather than just blame a foreign country for it?????

If I was writing the mystery spy novel, I could see the British government taking out somebody who they knew had damning knowledge of something or somebody and blaming it on the Russians. Or vice versa. Since we really don't know, it is all hypothesis anyway.

Who knows really? I have lived long enough to think the simplest solution is often the right one, but also that it is really dangerous to assume/speculate just because the assumption/speculation seems so obvious. Did Russian intelligence put out a contract on those people? I wouldn't be surprised but do we really know that? I'm pretty sure our own government is not above a clandestine assassination here and there in the interest of national security or whatever.

But isn't the normal response of law enforcement to look for and arrest the person committing the murder and go from there rather than just blame a foreign country for it?????
It just seems too perfect...no deniability...that is not how nations do their dirty deeds...I'm not convinced Russia had anything to do with this but we will see...There are great forces aligned against Russia for a lot of reasons including Hillary losing...So who knows...many in the world with the know how and ability to carry this out and make it look like Russia was involved could have done this. It's just too obvious...

Who knows really? I have lived long enough to think the simplest solution is often the right one, but also that it is really dangerous to assume/speculate just because the assumption/speculation seems so obvious. Did Russian intelligence put out a contract on those people? I wouldn't be surprised but do we really know that? I'm pretty sure our own government is not above a clandestine assassination here and there in the interest of national security or whatever.

It just seems too perfect...no deniability...that is not how nations do their dirty deeds...I'm not convinced Russia had anything to do with this but we will see...There are great forces aligned against Russia for a lot of reasons including Hillary losing...So who knows...many in the world with the know how and ability to carry this out and make it look like Russia was involved could have done this. It's just too obvious...

That's what raised my eyebrows--the so quick conclusion without offering any evidence of who the murderer(s) is. It just seemed so convenient. But I am prepared for the initial version of the story to be the correct one too. I just don't pretend to know what the truth is at this point.

But it sure would make a great spy novel plot. :)

That's a good point.

And Hillary's scuttled off to India.

India??

That's what raised my eyebrows--the so quick conclusion without offering any evidence of who the murderer(s) is. It just seemed so convenient. But I am prepared for the initial version of the story to be the correct one too. I just don't pretend to know what the truth is at this point.

Reeks of John Le Carré.

That's a good point.

India??
She's checking on the price of tea...

That's a good point.

India??

She can do that in World Market.

That's a good point.

India??

She can do that in World Market.
Some people like to see for themselves the delicate process...

Reeks of John Le Carré.

Indeed. I'm looking at a copy of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold on my office bookshelf now. A Tom Clancy novel or two as well as Lee Childs' "Jack Reacher" there too.

But honestly, some of the fiction the media drums up and is tossed around on social media and message boards, etc. probably gives them a lot of plot ideas. :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back