Korean Thanksgiving!

Mike Dwight

VIP Member
Jul 23, 2017

There's a general consensus on the meeting of cultures of the American Thanksgiving and the Korean Thanksgiving "Chuseok". Or, seems like you say Chuseok and people say Novermber! haha!

These seem like just general practice ideas. Anybody interested in analysis?

Pears are favored in chuseok? interesting. On Chuseok people dress up. We don't dress culturally.

Macy's thanksgiving is commercialization again. Chuseok isn't commercial, people drive to hometowns at great length.

Well they both have a patriarchal prayer at the center. They both offer food to God. Some beliefs in Chuseok might be getting altered, like the real spirits of ancestors visit.

Well anyway, private religious practices.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Well its not the most interesting foods, I wager. pears... I mean pears!

• Banned
Well nobody stuffs themselves in Korea either. Yet, everyone has to finish their meals!...? So you get small meals that you'd look nice to finish.

Chuseok is an insane holiday ... one of the traditions of Chuseok is to travel to your ancestral village.

This means that nearly the entire population of Seoul (10 million people) gets on a plane, train, bus or in a car and the normal two hour trip to Daegu turns into 18 hours of sitting in traffic and honking your horn.

But ... for the foreigners who live in Seoul, the city empties out for nearly a week and it looks like the set of 'The Omega Man'.

Everything is closed, but it is seriously cool to wander around the normally insanely packed streets of the city like Rick Grimes just up from a coma.

• Banned
Ya I'd heard that, I've never been. You'd think a lot of people are From Hanseon, or other names, it was always the capital of korea. If Moi, had ever been to Bonnie Camelot of Seoul, I would visit a Great Palace, with uninterrupted ceremonies! Called... called. gyuengbukgong. C'est moi? c'est moi. Yes, Korea, Famed for its illegal treaty to become korea and Japan, and then wishing to adopt Korea to be like Japan, and the wasted death of anyone who resisted like Ahn Changho. This proves what New York Book Publishers always say, well, sure looks Japanese to me.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Good Chuseok point, I bet you'd have to serve the oldest first yourself like everything there.

A friend of mine in Korea was a Army sergeant. Like many military folks in Korea, he was married to a local girl. He decided to do a full American Thanksgiving dinner for her extended family but ... Koreans typically aren't fond of turkey so his wife and family implored him to get a ham.

My friend was adamant and insisted on buying a huge bird-zilla from the local PX and all the fixings which he prepared for the family.

The turkey was put on the table and the family devoured it like a colony of army ants. It was a pile of bleached bones like a carcass on the Serengeti in a matter of minutes.

The family all pushed themselves back in their chairs, belched, and picked their teeth and collectively sighed, 'You should've had a ham'.

I don't mean to get off-topic. Have you seen , false or not, the Repeated corruption scandals of Korean politics? Why, I can't tell whose racist, because maybe a dollar can't move without some reputable charity.

I can't say that reflects on ALL Koreans like its some Storyline of Korea. So millions died for our made up capitalist system and the first thing you like to say is we got a 10 percent headstart or some junk. How thoughtful. I'm sure they're all so greedy and materialistic. Not true.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back