Know any rich people in real life?

Feb 29, 2012
Are they happy? What do they do for a living?

The only rich guy I know is in my gym. Pot belly, old, trades $25,000 for fun in the stock market. Reads the WSJ. Retired from Goldman Sachs. His life seems kind of sad and he seems a bit lonely. Asked him what he does with his money and he says he just lives like regular people. The only difference he goes on a luxury one month cruise to various places around the world. Last cruise was to Alaska.

are they happy? What do they do for a living?

The only rich guy i know is in my gym. Pot belly, old, trades $25,000 for fun in the stock market. Reads the wsj. Retired from goldman sachs. His life seems kind of sad and he seems a bit lonely. Asked him what he does with his money and he says he just lives like regular people. The only difference he goes on a luxury one month cruise to various places around the world. Last cruise was to alaska.

my brother is very wealthy and owns one of the worlds biggest commercial dive companys his life has some nice perks but all in all it does not seen to increase overall happiness

Yep ... I think a lot of rich people are probably happier than other's, not because of the money, but because they are doing what they love to do. When they do what they love to do they get really good at it and the money just naturally comes with it.

whats rich?? I think i am rich in many ways

my brother never had children..when I hear my kids say.. I love you daddy.. I feel I got the better end of the stick...the one thing I envy in my brothers life is his ability to help others who deserve it and the great relief he has brought to many by taking care of the bills in a crisis ,paying for people to see sick or dying loved ones or paying for the tools or education for a talented individual that is struggling to get a break

Last edited:
Yes. I deal with some of the richest people in the country. I don't think they're an happier than the rest of us but that's just a guess. I've never asked if they are happier than the rest of us.

I have two good friends that I hang out with regularly that are millionaires, and most of my family on my father's side is "wealthy," to say the least. I also have millionaire cousins on my mothers side that own an auction and realty business, and now they're into wine making.

The only rich guy I know is in my gym. Pot belly, old, trades $25,000 for fun in the stock market. Reads the WSJ. Retired from Goldman Sachs. His life seems kind of sad and he seems a bit lonely. Asked him what he does with his money and he says he just lives like regular people. The only difference he goes on a luxury one month cruise to various places around the world. Last cruise was to Alaska.

Money does not buy happiness. All it buys is the surroundings in which you experience your life. The rich are just as happy and miserable as the poor and middle class.

Money does not buy happiness. All it buys is the surroundings in which you experience your life. The rich are just as happy and miserable as the poor and middle class.
I'm far from rich and I'm a happy guy... :D

Rich people eat better food, drive better cars, fly around in private jets, live in bigger houses and have several of them, have prettier and younger wives (and have several of them, too), and golf at all the finest country clubs.

What's not to like?

They meet on Tuesdays to discuss what the President and Congress and the European leaders should do and say for the upcoming week, how much money to print or burn, which poor people to screw over, and to trade insider stock market tips.

The reason most rich people never quit working is because there is always someone who has more money than you and that really burns one's self-esteem no matter how rich you are.

There are some who quit the rat race and play the clarinet in a jazz band at the local dinner club for kicks. But they are far and few between.

Last edited:

I'm far from rich and I'm a happy guy... :D

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

If the rich are just as miserable as the poor the rich are in bad shape.
Warm house, medical care and a full belly gives a lot of contentment.

Me is a millunair.

Rich people eat better food, drive better cars, live in bigger houses and have several of them, have prettier and younger wives (and have several of them, too), and golf at all the finest country clubs.

What's not to like?

They meet on Tuesdays to discuss what the President and Congress and the European leaders should do and say for the upcoming week, how much money to print or burn, which poor people to screw over, and to trade insider stock market tips.

The reason most of rich people never quit working is because there is always someone who has more money than you and that really burns one's self-esteem no matter how rich you are.

There are some who quit the rat race and play the clarinet in a jazz band at the local dinner club for kicks. But they are far and few between.

:lol:

Not very happy are ya?

When I was a cop, I used to go to this diner and eat breakfast, usually with the troopers. There is this older guy that always was there. Always dressed in work clothes, unshaven, and drove this 20 year old pickup. We got to know him and I bought him breakfast a couple times, just like some of the troopers did. Turns out, this old guy (his wife died years before) was filthy rich and left his money to some really small, unknown charity.

The point being, he had all that money and he was basically unhappy. His wife was his life. I don't think it's money that makes you happy at all. I would never have considered myself rich at anytime, except when my wife was alive and my kids were small and at home. I wouldn't give the memories of those years away for all the money in China...

It's what's in your heart people... not what's in your wallet.

If the rich are just as miserable as the poor the rich are in bad shape.
Warm house, medical care and a full belly gives a lot of contentment.

Me is a millunair.

The question is about happiness.

Warm several houses, medical care and 5 star dinners, though very nice.... does not necessarily make someone happy.

I know of one young man with very old money supporting him...he was a mess and then one day grew up. Now is a fulfilled peaceful generous human being who uses his powers for good, not evil.

Other than that, I'd say the spectrum of happy amongst those with whom I acquaint varies not buy bank account but by personal awareness and lust for life.

You know, I never checked out anyone's checking account to see whether they were rich or not. However, I learned this little ditty about people from my mother:
"Twinkle, twinkle, little star.
What you think is what you are."​

I'm poor, and I wake up every morning and go to bed every night joyful.

Sis and husband are wealthy by most ppl's standards...they're also convicted Baptists. They're happy..the thing that makes them happiest is being able to assist other people and their church, which they do, to the tune of thousands a month and occasionally much larger amounts.

Their children, however..I'm not sure of the level of their happiness. 27 and 28, one is a doc and one has a degree in math...I love them but I don't think they're joyful...I'm not sure why. I think it may be that they had TOO idyllic a childhood, and are struggling with the reality of adulthood.

Forum List

Back