Killing Electoral College would invite Trump, future presidents to rig their reelections

Its moronic to discuss getting rid of the electoral college if, for no other reason, none of the sponsors of getting rid of the ED can tell us what happens if we have more than 2 strong candidates getting close to 30% each…. Do you really want someone elected who is supported by something like 45M people and 60-70M voting for someone else??

What do you think of this possible future election:

Just Four States are Likely to Determine the Outcome of 2020 Presidential Race

"Just four states are likely to determine the outcome in 2020. Each flipped to the Republicans in 2016, but President Trump won each by only a percentage point or less. The four are Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Florida. Many analysts point to Wisconsin as the single state upon which the election could turn." ...
4-state-2020-cp-map-2019-9-6.png

In 2016 Trump lost the popular vote by 8 million ballots across all fifty states.
His EC "win" came from about 77000 votes spread across three mid-west states.
How do you justify that?

Its moronic to discuss getting rid of the electoral college if, for no other reason, none of the sponsors of getting rid of the ED can tell us what happens if we have more than 2 strong candidates getting close to 30% each…. Do you really want someone elected who is supported by something like 45M people and 60-70M voting for someone else??
Plus in a close election it’s very easy to hide fraud.

What do you think of this possible future election ...

I think Democrats need to pull this stick out of their asses and admit that they need to come up with a platform that is inclusive - that appeals to rural Americans as well.

Democrats don't trust Trump. So why would they want to give him and future presidents more power over their own reelections and who succeeds them?

Killing Electoral College would invite presidents to rig elections

Democrats can’t think ahead.
There IS a better way. The EC must vote according to the popular vote of each State. So the EC stays in place, and the popular vote of "We the People" is satisfied.
What State does not award the votes to the majority winner of their State?

I think Democrats need to pull this stick out of their asses and admit that they need to come up with a platform that is inclusive - that appeals to rural Americans as well.
Does a majority of rural America benefit from the Electoral College?

The Electoral College is designed to protect the minority, so I find your question irrelevant.

Democrats don't trust Trump. So why would they want to give him and future presidents more power over their own reelections and who succeeds them?

There IS a better way. The EC must vote according to the popular vote of each State. So the EC stays in place, and the popular vote of "We the People" is satisfied.

NE and ME do not necessarily do it.

The Electoral College is designed to protect the minority, so I find your question irrelevant.
How's protecting the minority working out in rural states currently?

Rural States Are Almost Entirely Ignored Under Current State-by-State System

"Under the current state-by-state winner-take all method of awarding electoral votes, presidential candidates ignore states where they are safely ahead or hopelessly behind.

"Thus, political influence in the Electoral College is based on whether the state is a closely divided battleground state.

"According to the 2010 census, the 10 states with the highest percentage of rural residents are

• Maine–61%
  • Vermont–61%
  • West Virginia–51%
  • Mississippi–51%
  • Montana–44%
  • Arkansas–44%
  • South Dakota43%
  • Kentucky–42%
  • Alabama–41%
  • North Dakota–40%
"However, none of the 10 most rural states were closely divided battleground states in either the 2012 or 2016 presidential election. Thus, none of these 10 states received any general-election campaign visits."

I favor the Electoral College. I have feeling that if it were changed to popular vote then karma would have the Democrats getting bit in the butt, which I would find oh so humorous.

What a nutjob essay.

Clearly Trumpers are freaked the hell out by the idea of not being able to co-opt the EC again

"What State does not award the votes to the majority winner of their State?[/QUOTE]"

I don't know, weather. But since Clinton got 3 mil more than Trump, just like Gore got 1/2 mil more than Bush, both won because of the EC, so obviously popular votes are subject to EC machinations. Also I read a couple weeks ago that one State announced the intent to subject the EC to it's popular vote and the State Republicans got their shorts in a big wad. Gerrymandering, voter suppression and downright chicanery all play a part too, and none of this is beneath either party.

And the current Democratic trend to reverse Citizen's United sure appeals to me also.

"What State does not award the votes to the majority winner of their State?
"

I don't know, weather. But since Clinton got 3 mil more than Trump, just like Gore got 1/2 mil more than Bush, both won because of the EC, so obviously popular votes are subject to EC machinations. Also I read a couple weeks ago that one State announced the intent to subject the EC to it's popular vote and the State Republicans got their shorts in a big wad. Gerrymandering, voter suppression and downright chicanery all play a part too, and none of this is beneath either party.

And the current Democratic trend to reverse Citizen's United sure appeals to me also.[/QUOTE]
So you want Los Angeles and NYC always deciding elections?

Absolutely, Without the electoral college rural America has no voice in presidential elections... fact

"What State does not award the votes to the majority winner of their State?
"

And the current Democratic trend to reverse Citizen's United sure appeals to me also.[/QUOTE]
Lol
It’s a good thing we did not have crazy Cali determine our presidential elections, You fucking retard

Forum List

Back