Kids going to school, or the mall, this fall?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Working Man, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Shove those little bundles of joy onto a school bus and enjoy the rest of your day!!!

OK, so maybe it doesn't work that way, all the time. So, here is the question.

LOOK at the sales fliers in today's paper. Look at the clothes that are being marketed for children and see if you think it is appropriate for the age. See if you can tell which age group the marketing is being directed. Children, you adults, etc.. See if any of the ads are mixed in with the wrong age group, and ask yourself "why?".

I saw things in the ads today that are, in my opinion, not appropriate for the age group noted in the sales banner, and confusing... Is it intentional on the part of the people who direct the marketing?

Also, see if you can catch the cellular/digital ads that are in the paper too. Why does you kid need all these gadgets in order to learn????

What ever happened to paper and a pencil???

2. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    A lot of explicit or revealing items are sold to younger kids because that is what they see older kids wearing, and they want to be like them. Corporations manufacture and sell them because that is what the populace demands.

I'm looking at the ads now...

The young ladies in most of these ads arent inappropriately dressed much at all, aside from the occasional short skirt.

Your kids dont need cell phones and MP3 players to learn. They're just thrown in the ads, well, to advertise. Pencils and paper still have their place in society, but when all places sell paper for twenty five cents a stack, more competitive items, like clothing, take precidence.

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333

Where did you find paper for $.20? I paid $.49 per pack. Let me know if you find other deals like that! :)

4. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Parents:

Just Say No.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree. Especially for those 'costly electronics.' Cell phones are prohibited from being on during school. I do not allow the use of electronic dictionaries, as the entries are too abbreviated. Each student has a paperback collegiate dictionary and I have 3 unabridged ones in the room.

ipods and other personal listening devices do not belong at school. I have a CD player in the room and each student's laptop also has CD/DVD player. During lunch or if there is a reason, such as music class, the students can play their CD's, IF they have the lyrics printed and I've approved them. ;)

Digital cameras are too expensive and easily lost/stolen. Along with all the others, it's 'banned' in our handbook. (cell phones are different, some parents insist they must be able to reach the kids immediately after school, sooooo.) If the student is found to have an electronic dictionary, ipod/etc., they are brought to the principal's office and the parents have to retrieve them.

6. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    That all sounds good. There has been a major uproar here about cellphones. The school board "re-passed" it's ban on cellphones on school property. I personally think that is ridiculous. Of course, I want the kids to have more responsibility and self control. Don't ban cellphones. Allow them on school grounds. If you use them anytime during school house (8:00 - 2:30, etc), they are taken away and the parents must come to the office to pick them up.

I promise the 3rd or 4th time mom and/or dad has to leave work to pick up little Johnny's/Jenny's cellphone; the darling little child will probably have it taken away from them.

Problem solved.

7. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Good point.

Which newspaper?

What age group was being inappropriately targeted?

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Yep, agreed on the cell phones. If the phone is found 'on the child' or lockers start ringing, singing, what have you, they are placed with the other electronics for pick up!

9. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    A lot of times students listen to their MP3 players on the walk/bus ride to and from school, forcing them to take them to school with them. I think having them is ok as long as it doesnt make an appearance outside of the locker. Same goes with other electronics.

My school (well, old school anyway) would do the same thing with the cell phones, take them and give them to the office. The students could pick them up after school, I think the first three times, then it becomes the parents' jobs. Cell phones are pretty important in todays rapid world, so banning them from school would leave many a mother worried*.

Thats not to say that they should be used during class (passing periods and lunch I dont see why not, however)

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Our school isn't big enough for 'passing periods' they cross a hall. As for lunch period, in school that is a social time, while eating. If there is inclement weather, I do allow them to listen/watch to preapproved CD's or DVD's, as a class. They have to come to agreement. I'm always shocked at how much faster 20 some students can do this compared to 2 or 3 siblings! :shocked:

As for the electronics, MP3 in particuliar, they are too easy to lose or have stolen. At $350 a pop, we do not want the hassle of that.