Kevin Spacey accused of sexual harassment

Discussion in 'USMB Breaking News' started by Gracie, Oct 30, 2017.

1. S.J.

S.J. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,966
    He says he doesn't remember the incident but then goes on to apologize for it, blaming it on being drunk. How does he know he was drunk if he doesn't remember the incident?

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,007
    One wonders what other powerful closeted gays will be "outed," as Spacey now has been, as a result of their having made unwanted/inappropriate sexual advances toward other men?

Mind you, I'm not among the set that feels gay people, men or women, need to attest in public to their sexual orientation. My remark has only to do with the aspect of powerful men or women having made overtures and exploiting their power with regard to members of the same sex, and the objects of such advances, like Rapp, averring as much, thereby making it clear the noted power-abusers are gay.

As goes the matter of persons in power using sex as the basis for a quid pro quo for employment is clearly the wrong way to express one's intimate desires with regard to another. I'm not of the mind that colleagues cannot enjoy intimate relationships or even trysts; however, I am of the mind that there is a complex set of time, place and circumstances under which one or the other party may properly entreat for such. During the process of seeking a job or as part of an implied or literal offer for advancement (or by making quid pro quo threats pertaining to the denial of advancement) within in one's career are definitely not the right times or circumstances under which one may do so.

3. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,400
    He was 26 years old. Who wasn't drunk in hollyweird at 26 years old? Maybe he was an alcoholic. Maybe he still is. Who knows? It was 30 plus years ago. Do you remember what you did when drunk when you were 26? What if some woman accused you of trying to make you have sex with her, but didn't, yet speaks about it 30 years later as if you forced her to? See what I mean?
    This is why I am suspicious of women..or now men...who speak out AFTER so much time has passed but they stayed in the "business" for all this time...silent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Windparadox

Windparadox VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +857
    `
    `

In the work environment, I always act and dress conservatively and professionally. I keep away from discussing politics and religion.
    PS - I've been getting hit with "502 Bad Gateway" warnings when I post.
    `

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,400
    board maintenance. Always happens around this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,007
    Did Spacey "do it" or not? I don't know. To be sure, Rapp and others who experience what they allege is sexual harassment should come forward at or around the time of the event, not some thirty years or decade later.

I have to say that very few 26 year-olds are powerful people, or powerful enough to exploit their professional position to exact sexual favors from others. Be that as it may, Spacey's response to the allegation is telling, not for what it says, but for what it doesn't say. Spacey doesn't flatly deny having made advances toward Rapp, which may or may not have happened. That he doesn't suggests that Spacey is well aware that he was, at that point in his life, making advances toward men, and whether Rapp was among the men toward whom he made them is simply not any longer known to him.

7. DarkFury

DarkFury Platinum Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,746
    I see it as a power play. The abused against the abusers. It's not the gender or gender choice. It's the acts of power against the less powerful.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,721
    That's a weird tightrope that famous gay people have to walk. There are many people who put a social obligation on them to come out, so unless they do so on their own terms, they can look like a coward. It looks like he was pretty much forced to come out, and that's not good by those standards.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43,157
    Rapp may be using the accusation for leverage in his own career.

A 31 year old denunciation is exactly that and nothing more.

10. aaronleland

aaronleland Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,374
    Boooo!

• Funny Funny x 1