Kentucky Clerk Jailed for Contempt of Court

MLK wasn't getting paid by government for what he did, and was working to stop segregation, not enforce it like she is.

Its a comparison of methods, not of reasons or circumstances.
when mlk was arrested it was showing the injustice in the system. she's getting arrested because she's denying people their rights - she is the injustice
She's not denying them anything other than her personal signature on a marriage license. They can get other Clerks to sign the licenses. You are a dupe!
her office is not issuing licenses to same sex couples. do you deny that?
No, I don't. Same sex couples can get a license from other nearby offices. Do you deny that?

Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on what brand of superstition the other clerk may believe in.

Yeah, an elected official refusing to do their job is a little problematic...

:laugh:

What would really be problematic is her being re-elected after all this.

What can the feds do then?
She wouldn't be able to sign her oath of office and therefore wouldn't be able to serve.

She has to swear to sign off on Gay marriages?
She has to swear to serve the community equally.

Do you have a copy of her exact oath of office?
I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth of Kentucky so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of .... according to law; and I do further solemnly swear (or affirm) that since the adoption of the present Constitution, I, being a citizen of this State, have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within this State nor out of it, nor have I sent or accepted a challenge to fight a duel with deadly weapons, nor have I acted as second in carrying a challenge, nor aided or assisted any person thus offending, so help me God.

it's right up there with how MLK did his, let the system arrest you to show the injustice of the system.

MLK wasn't getting paid by government for what he did, and was working to stop segregation, not enforce it like she is.

when mlk was arrested it was showing the injustice in the system. she's getting arrested because she's denying people their rights - she is the injustice
She's not denying them anything other than her personal signature on a marriage license. They can get other Clerks to sign the licenses. You are a dupe!

Her job is to do her job to best of her ability. It isn't specifically to bow to the will of activist judges.

She's a Democrat living in Kentucky. What did you expect?

Jesus Christ!

I've been telling you fuckwads this shit for years.

Look at her clothes. She's a Bible-thumping holy roller.

If marriage is a right, then anyone can marry.

No??????

WTF!!!!
same sex couples have the right to get married. she's denying them that right.
what you said, as incoherent as it was, does not change that.
She isn't denying them anything other than a license from her. They can always get one.....They just have to get into their cars and drive to another county.
how can you claim that she isn't denying them and then point out that she is in fact denying them?
doublethink?
Easy. She gave them other options. Probably gave them directions as well. At the end of the day, they can still get married.
what gives her the right to decide who does and does not receive county services?
She does not keep the same sex couples from getting licenses. She just refuses to be the one that signs it.

it's right up there with how MLK did his, let the system arrest you to show the injustice of the system.

No??????

WTF!!!!
If you are currently not allowed to legally marry who or what you wish to marry...make your legal case for the law to change.....just like we did. Use the system.
No need to wait. I am a Minister. For the right price I will tell you're married*. Under God and everything. :thup:

*Not legally binding. Please refer to applicable Federal, State and local guidelines.

What would really be problematic is her being re-elected after all this.

What can the feds do then?
She wouldn't be able to sign her oath of office and therefore wouldn't be able to serve.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth of Kentucky so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of .... according to law; and I do further solemnly swear (or affirm) that since the adoption of the present Constitution, I, being a citizen of this State, have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within this State nor out of it, nor have I sent or accepted a challenge to fight a duel with deadly weapons, nor have I acted as second in carrying a challenge, nor aided or assisted any person thus offending, so help me God.

"best of her ability" is an out, saying that gay marriage isn't in the constitution is an out.

and i positively LOVE that they still keep the duel thing in there.

Actually, none of the clerks in her office are signing any marriage licenses. They are lucky that they all didn't go to the slammer. My guess is that her employees are going to have a sudden change of heart about all this.

"best of her ability" is an out, saying that gay marriage isn't in the constitution is an out.

she can't claim that gay marriage is not constitutional - the supreme court ruled the right was guaranteed by the 14th amendment.

and i don't think that she can claim that the best of her abilities only allows her to sign her name on some marriage licenses.

No, I don't. Same sex couples can get a license from other nearby offices. Do you deny that?
Yeah. And ******* could have just shut up and sat at the back of the bus. Do you deny that?
Strawman...non sequitur...stupid reply. Try some logic courses.

Yeah. And ******* could have just shut up and sat at the back of the bus. Do you deny that?
Strawman...non sequitur...stupid reply. Try some logic courses.
Try not to kick and scream too much as you get dragged into the 21st century.

She broke the law. I respect her non violent protest. Civil disobedience. But...she went too far with breaking the law.

Marriage isn't in the constitution at all, that doesn't mean that the laws don't have to be applied equally to those who are "granted" the right to get married. Not seeing how best of her ability is an out.

No??????

WTF!!!!
She isn't denying them anything other than a license from her. They can always get one.....They just have to get into their cars and drive to another county.
how can you claim that she isn't denying them and then point out that she is in fact denying them?
doublethink?
Easy. She gave them other options. Probably gave them directions as well. At the end of the day, they can still get married.
Doesnt work like that. If she offers anyone licenses she has to offer all. Thats why she is in the pokey now.

she can't claim that gay marriage is not constitutional - the supreme court ruled the right was guaranteed by the 14th amendment.

and i don't think that she can claim that the best of her abilities only allows her to sign her name on some marriage licenses.

If you think the SC is overstepping its bounds, you sure as hell can think it isn't constitutional. I have a right to keep and bear arms, and NYC had decided I don't. I don't see progressives going apeshit over that.

No??????

WTF!!!!
doublethink?
Doesnt work like that. If she offers anyone licenses she has to offer all. Thats why she is in the pokey now.
it doesn't really work like that either. she can't deny licenses to everyone just so gays won't get them.

Marriage isn't in the constitution at all, that doesn't mean that the laws don't have to be applied equally to those who are "granted" the right to get married. Not seeing how best of her ability is an out.

Her oath is to the constitution of the US and the State. don't see how she violates those, considering she isn't taking an oath to follow the SC.

If you think the SC is overstepping its bounds, you sure as hell can think it isn't constitutional. I have a right to keep and bear arms, and NYC had decided I don't. I don't see progressives going apeshit over that.
she can think it, but she'd be wrong. she is not the arbiter of what is and is not constitutional, that job belongs to the supreme court.

Looks like the cross groveling yahoos are being taken to the woodshed once again
When same sex faggots can do the following, I'll accept same sex marriage.

Genesis 1:28
Viewing the King James Version. Click to switch to 1611 King James Version of Genesis 1:28.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

- King James Bible "Authorized Version", Cambridge Edition

Looks like the cross groveling yahoos are being taken to the woodshed once again
When same sex faggots can do the following, I'll accept same sex marriage.

Genesis 1:28
Viewing the King James Version. Click to switch to 1611 King James Version of Genesis 1:28.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

- King James Bible "Authorized Version", Cambridge Edition
huh. didn't realize god wrote our marriage laws.

Forum List

Back