Katrinia, Louisiana and the USA.

rcajun90

Jul 7, 2005
New Orleans, Louisiana
One New Orleanian as sadden and fedup with some Americans attitude towards rebuilding New Orleans said it better than I ever could.

"I live in Metro New Orleans and am appalled at what I am reading here. The blame game is in full force, so let me add another factor here- COASTAL RESTORATION! New Orleans used to have a "buffer" of over 100 miles of marshy land separating it from the coast. Today due to oil exploration and production the "buffer" is less than 35 miles. A restored coast line would have lessened the strength of the hurricane and probably lessened the damage to the city and the levees.

Some contributors are calling for the government not to help pay for restoration of New Orleans because if people want to live in dangerous zones its their problem. If you follow this line of thinking, lets abandon San Francisco, LA and even St. Louis because all sit on fault lines. Also since the Midwest is prone to flooding and tornadoes, lets abandon the cities there. What about ALL coastal cities who are prone to other hurricanes or areas prone to forest fires or cities that were built without adequate sources of fresh water throughout Arizona!

Also for all people who follow this line of thought, stop using oil and gas, because chances are what you use comes through Louisiana in some form or another and your consumerism has hindered the natural rebuilding of the delta.

Another person made a statement that with all the resources, how could Louisiana not afford to rebuild the coast or flood barriers, well do a little research and understand that the state of Louisiana receives next to nothing from the federal government for all the resources that are taken from it.

I am sickened by the sensationalism by FOX, CNN, MSNBC and all national network coverage. I am also disgusted with some of what is being written here by so called Americans. New Orleans will rebuild and be better than ever despite the negativism. If not, maybe we should just succeed from the Union again and shut off all of our resources to the rest of the country! I'll bet the Netherlands would understand the viability of below sealevel communities and might again welcome a colony in the "new world"!"

Enough Said.... :salute:

Ignore all the talk----you're getting $200 billion + and got rid of a hell of a lot of your welfare folks. You're gonna be rolling in the dough and milking all the tourists in no time. ( unless the LA politcos decide to "help" )

dilloduck said:
Ignore all the talk----you're getting $200 billion + and got rid of a hell of a lot of your welfare folks. You're gonna be rolling in the dough and milking all the tourists in no time. ( unless the LA politcos decide to "help" )

You really aren't being fair. I'm not getting squat. I live in an area that doesn't flood. Most of that money will be going to rebuilding the levees. Tell me a tourist town that doesn't milk the tourists? Disney World is my favorite place to get milked. It's like you open your wallet and the money just flys out but everyone is soooo nice. I think it's a great move that Bush appoints a Katrinia Czar as long as he isn't a local politician. They have already told mayor Naguin no. God help us all if he tells Blanco yes.

rcajun90 said:
One New Orleanian as sadden and fedup with some Americans attitude towards rebuilding New Orleans said it better than I ever could.

"I live in Metro New Orleans and am appalled at what I am reading here. The blame game is in full force, so let me add another factor here- COASTAL RESTORATION! New Orleans used to have a "buffer" of over 100 miles of marshy land separating it from the coast. Today due to oil exploration and production the "buffer" is less than 35 miles. A restored coast line would have lessened the strength of the hurricane and probably lessened the damage to the city and the levees.

Let me get the :bsflag: flag held high..
The guy is a whining idiot..The coast was eroded, not due to oil exploration and production, but due to the levees, dams and canals built to keep the coastal area from FLOODING...Well gee, can fool Mother Nature can we..NOPE..She took much of the coast over the tears and flooded the area anyway. Go figure.

rcajun90 said:
You really aren't being fair. I'm not getting squat. I live in an area that doesn't flood. Most of that money will be going to rebuilding the levees. Tell me a tourist town that doesn't milk the tourists? Disney World is my favorite place to get milked. It's like you open your wallet and the money just flys out but everyone is soooo nice. I think it's a great move that Bush appoints a Katrinia Czar as long as he isn't a local politician. They have already told mayor Naguin no. God help us all if he tells Blanco yes.

your right--I'm not being fair. You won't see a dime but your state may see quite a boom if the politicians and the contractors don't find a way to steal all the bucks. That's asking quite a bit isn't it?

( If it happened to Texas, I'm sure the same thing would happen. )

Mr. P said:
The guy is a whining idiot..The coast was eroded, not due to oil exploration and production, but due to the levees, dams and canals built to keep the coastal area from FLOODING...Well gee, can fool Mother Nature can we..NOPE..She took much of the coast over the tears and flooded the area anyway. Go figure.

Then will you please explain to everyone since you are so knowledgeable about the area how New Orleans has stood for almost 300 years without this happening? They didn’t have hurricanes 300 years ago? I’ve been very honest about the problems of our state and haven’t sugar coated anything. Before Katrina our politicians have begged for years to get from Washington money to stop coastal erosion. It for the most part fell on deaf ears. Why? I don’t know. Perhaps they thought it wasn’t important or it could be the local politicians. I don’t know the exact figures but it’s in any Louisiana History textbook how we were losing miles of the state each year. Highways 82 and 1 which runs along the coast have had to be pushed back ever several years as the Gulf takes more of the land. There was a buffer zone to protect New Orleans which doesn’t exist anymore. BTW Coastal erosion isn’t just a Louisiana problem but is happening all along the Gulf Coast. Perhaps Tampa, Miami and Houston can get the money that New Orleans didn’t and prevent another disaster.

I also like the way you ignore everything Louisiana has contributed to this country. You are either a dumb a$$ or simply an a$$hole.
:dev1:

I wrote that piece and am no whining idiot.

I am not talking about the levees along the Mississippi you idiot. I am talking about the thousands of canals that were dug to explore for oil and once found, used bring oil to production. This has occurred all across south Louisiana. The point was that without the "buffer" of marshland, a strong storm is not weakened prior to hitting the city. The coastal erosion is not just localized south of New Orleans but the entire Louisiana coast. A problem that as been addressed in Congress for decades with no federal assistance forthcoming.

If you don't live here you are specualting so If you don't know what you are talking about don't show your ass...

Mr. P said:

I guess it would be crazy to expect the oil company CEOs to compensate LA for the damage but I sure didn't get rich buying gas.

rcajun90 said:
Then will you please explain to everyone since you are so knowledgeable about the area how New Orleans has stood for almost 300 years without this happening? They didn’t have hurricanes 300 years ago? ....:
Oh cuz they didn't start the tinkering with the Mississippi until 1923 as I recall.
Sure it flooded, the sinking and lose of coastal area is do to the diversion of sediment, which naturally rebuilt the coastal area..without it, well, you see what happened. Ya just can't build in a coastal swamp and expect it to last forever. Sorry.

Simba23 said:
I wrote that piece and am no whining idiot.

I am not talking about the levees along the Mississippi you idiot. I am talking about the thousands of canals that were dug to explore for oil and once found, used bring oil to production. This has occurred all across south Louisiana. The point was that without the "buffer" of marshland, a strong storm is not weakened prior to hitting the city. The coastal erosion is not just localized south of New Orleans but the entire Louisiana coast. A problem that as been addressed in Congress for decades with no federal assistance forthcoming.

If you don't live here you are specualting so If you don't know what you are talking about don't show your ass...
Okay...it was ALL the oil companies fault, yep, that's it..
So why would you like the rest of us to foot the bill again?
Being that I don't live there and never would, I just don't understand that part..Do we owe you something? Oh, will you pay my bills next month? Just thought I'd ask...laugh:

If your community should be hit with a catastrophic distaster and needed federal assistance to rebuild people's lives, I wouldn't hesitate to contribute nor would I bitch about my tax dollars being spent to rebuild your life. That's what Americans do. We support each other when needed.

How many other tax dollars have gone into rebuilding communities after natural disasters?

People like you are the first to complain and the first to have their hands out. Also for all your bitching I'll bet you don't pay enough taxes to amount to anything.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Simba23 said:
If your community should be hit with a catastrophic distaster and needed federal assistance to rebuild people's lives, I wouldn't hesitate to contribute nor would I bitch about my tax dollars being spent to rebuild your life. That's what Americans do. We support each other when needed.

How many other tax dollars have gone into rebuilding communities after natural disasters?

People like you are the first to complain and the first to have their hands out. Also for all your bitching I'll bet you don't pay enough taxes to amount to anything.
Show me where I bitched.
People like you are the first to complain and the first to have their hands out.
You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Mr. P said:
Oh cuz they didn't start the tinkering with the Mississippi until 1923 as I recall.
Sure it flooded, the sinking and lose of coastal area is do to the diversion of sediment, which naturally rebuilt the coastal area..without it, well, you see what happened. Ya just can't build in a coastal swamp and expect it to last forever. Sorry.

You really should do some research. They have been tinkering with the Mississippi since the French were here. Have you ever been to the mouth of the river? I have and you can see the sediment spewing out just like it did 1,000 years ago. That's why Louisiana beaches are not very good. The water is murky because of the river. It's the oil companies tinkering and coastal erosion that has eliminated the buffer zone for New Orleans. Coastal erosion is a problem for the entire Gulf Coast so there goes your dumb theory about tinkering with the river. BTW in case you haven't heard, Bush is going to rebuild the city so in the end what you think you know doesn't mean $hit. :dance:

rcajun90 said:
You really should do some research. They have been tinkering with the Mississippi since the French were here. Have you ever been to the mouth of the river? I have and you can see the sediment spewing out just like it did 1,000 years ago. That's why Louisiana beaches are not very good. The water is murky because of the river. It's the oil companies tinkering and coastal erosion that has eliminated the buffer zone for New Orleans. Coastal erosion is a problem for the entire Gulf Coast so there goes your dumb theory about tinkering with the river. BTW in case you haven't heard, Bush is going to rebuild the city so in the end what you think you know doesn't mean $hit. :dance:
No theroy, just fact..
FOR 7,000 YEARS, THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER flooded Louisiana’s coast with land-building sediment. The amount of new land this sediment created always exceeded the amount of land lost to the natural processes of subsidence, erosion and sea-level rise. Then in the 20th century, raising the levees erected along the banks of the river prevented its sediment from reaching the coastal marshes. This upset the balance between land lost and land gained, and began the catastrophic retreat of Louisiana’s wetlands.
If your interested check the
pdf that follows the above quote at this link. BTW the oil and gas activity is a minimal contributor at best.http://www.lacoast.gov/

Forum List

Back