Before Katrina Hit

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dilloduck, Sep 18, 2005.

1. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I also heard Fox report rather confidently that immediately after Katrina hit that organized gangs from as far away as Dallas, Memphis and Atlanta had "professionally" looted NO by going down there with SUVs and boats. I have been unsuccessful in finding a link to that claim however.

2. Simba23

Simba23 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The article is full of partial truths and not many facts. For instance...
    -Murder is very high, but as a whole, overall crime is greater in Baton Rouge and Shreveport. The murders are (were) mostly drug related. Witnesses are residents of the area of the city where this drug traffic is rampant and are reluctant to testify because of retaliation.
    -Several years ago the Morial administration stopped NOPD police from living outside of Orleans Parish. In other words you had to live in Orleans Parish if you wanted to be a policeman in New Orleans. If you are familiar with the Metro New Orleans, Metairie, the Westbank, Kenner, etc. are residential subdivisions of New Orleans, but NOPD could not live there even though many were living in these locations. The city lost many seasoned officers and are still having a heck of a time recruiting.
    -As far as the claim that "700" shots were fired and no one responded, I am from the area and this was not reported in any local media, so I question the story.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I only used that source because it was dated only one WEEK prior to the hurricane. The loss of officers would certainly explain thier inability to perform when needed.

4. Simba23

Simba23 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    on the road to cleaning up a lot of the dirty politics. Nagin is the first mayor not influenced by the Morial Machine. Eddie Compass, police chief, is a local guy who is seriously interested in improving the NOPD. The federal attorney is charging many former highrollers with fraud and they are squealing in order to get deals. Judges are being charged with fraud and accepting bribes. The newly elected DA lost a discrimination suit brought against him by "white" employees he replaced with black political appointees...and the list can go on and on...The city was beginning to clean up its act.

The ordinance keeping all police officers in Orleans Parish was set to be addressed and was most thought it would be revoked.

It is still dirty politics, but not as dirty and getting cleaner every day.