Karl Malone - American Hero

M

Max Power

http://sportsbybrooks.com/karlmalone.html

LOS ANGELES - KMPC-AM radio host Fred Roggin this week publicized the heroic efforts of NBA great Karl Malone to help clean up southern Mississippi in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Malone volunteered millions of dollars in manpower (including his own) and equipment from his company based in Haynesville, LA., to the effort of clearing debris from the city of Pascagoula, MS.

Like many during the cleanup process, Malone initially found resistance from federal officials, but he sidestepped them and eventually cleared debris for two weeks, including 115 condemned homes - to allow reconstruction efforts to begin.

Malone guested on Roggin's Los Angeles radio show Thursday to talk about the process - which included the stonewalling efforts of government officials, and local contractors who he reports are still gouging city, state and federal government officials.

Excerpts from Malone's conversation with Roggin: "I wasn't going to just write a check, and I didn't want to go to New Orleans where all the celebrities were going (to grandstand). I wanted to go where no one was, and that's why we went to Pascagoula.

"We took six million dollars of equipment and most of the guys from my company (Malone Properties). But when we got there, they (federal officials) told us that because we wanted to work for free, we had to go home. That we needed a government ID number or a contract to haul out debris.

"I said to them, 'bullsh--', we took 30 pieces of equipment and traveled nine hours and we're going to clean up some lots before we leave. So I told them 'I'm getting on my truck, now try to get me off.' I had my security guys there and they tried to stop us but they couldn't - and we cleared 115 houses.

"Then they started to help us ... we had 46 trucks trying to keep up with us. I can't describe the scene. People were fighting over a pile of garbage."

After the experience, Malone now has a clear view of the quickest way to rebuild the storm-ravaged area: "The government has it all wrong. They need to stop trying to patch every house. It's time to start over. And people need to stop sending money. Send equipment and operators to move the debris out so they can rebuild."

Malone has since returned to his home in Louisiana, but said he's keeping abreast of the situation, and the initial news on the continuing cleanup isn't good: "I stayed in touch with people down there and they said the process is now so slow again. They have contractors down there gouging people, and I just want to say that those people will get theirs one day."

Anyone have any clue why the gov't was opposed to volunteer efforts?

Well, at least some people wouldn't take no for an answer.

Max Power said:
http://sportsbybrooks.com/karlmalone.html

Anyone have any clue why the gov't was opposed to volunteer efforts?

Well, at least some people wouldn't take no for an answer.

Just bureaucracy. The "Good Sammaritan" would need to pay the appropriate fees and obtain the appropriate licenses in order to operate. Then he would have to meet all Federal regulatory guidelines for hiring practices and whatever BS codes they have in place for the specific occupation, if the Feds are involved.

Plus, Malone hits the nail on the head ..... the local good ol' boys aren't going to allow someone to come in and take something they can inflate the prices on away from them.

Forum List

Back