Justice Department finds 12% of Juveniles in Custody report being Sexually Abused

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Editorial - Sentenced to Abuse - NYTimes.com

The Justice Department needs to act swiftly and decisively to protect young people who are being battered and raped in juvenile corrections facilities all across the country. A shocking new study by the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics surveyed more than 9,000 young people in custody and found that 12 percent reported being sexually abused one or more times, mainly by staff members.

Particularly alarming, the study found several juvenile facilities where 30 percent or more of the young people reported being raped. Some of the institutions with high rates of victimization were in Indiana, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Texas.

These latest findings are consistent with those reported in June by a federal commission created by Congress under the 2003 Prison Rape Elimination Act. The commission, which examined the problem for five years, also outlined a list of sensible policy changes, which the Justice Department has the power to make mandatory for all corrections institutions that accept federal money.

Thoughts?

Yeah those kids couldn't be lying. After all they didn't do anything to deserve getting thrown into juvie.

Not all but you know some of them are so your statistic is questionable.

Well what do you think is the real number then? And what sort of statistic would you find disturbing?

How the hell should I know what the real number is?

And how can anyone know the real number when a lot of sexual abuse victims never tell anyone about it and a lot of people lie and say they were sexually abused if it will get them some sympathy or special treatment?

And how can anyone know the real number when a lot of sexual abuse victims never tell anyone about it and a lot of people lie and say they were sexually abused if it will get them some sympathy or special treatment?

Well I wasn't asking for a exact guess. I was asking for your opinion of a rough estimate.

Well I wasn't asking for a exact guess. I was asking for your opinion of a rough estimate.

you mean a blind guess?

Forum List

Back