Just for =d=

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by CSM, Oct 15, 2004.

1. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    VERY Good reading... :)

Thanks, mate! :D

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Not a problem. Just wanted to get it straight, if ya know what I mean.

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

...and it sort of makes my case for me :)

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Horsepucky!

What we need is a historical topic thread so I can larn you pups a few things!

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

This makes a pretty good case for "The Stinger Changing the Tide of the War"

My emphasis added...

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    All true, however, the Stingers alone were not the sole reason for the Soviet failure.

In the end, the Soviets failed to accomplish all five of their principal objectives for defeating the irregular enemy in Afghanistan. This was due to the strength, motivation, and resilience of the resistance, as well as to the fact that the Soviets began the war without a coherent strategy and, even later, failed to link their assorted efforts in such a way as to establish a basic unity of effort. An example is the way in which highly destructive, firepower-intensive military operations undermined political campaigns aimed at winning the active support (or at least neutrality) of the population.

Had Soviet strategy been better conceived, there might have been at least some prospect for success. As Gareev wrote after the war, the Soviet General Staff had informed the Ministry of Defense in December 1979 that it would take from thirty to thirty-five divisions to stabilize Afghanistan.32 Given the actual course of events there, this estimate is reasonable.

Poor strategy and planning on the Soviets part had a lot more to do with it. That plus their not be willing to pay the price for success had more effect than the Stinger.

The Stingers helped and so did the influx of other weapons from outside agencies as well as political and moral support from those same countries.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I never claimed Stingers caused the Soviets to 'fail' in their goals for Afghanistan...I said "Stinger turned the tide of the war - one side was losing, after the introduction of the Stinger, they started 'winning'.."

:D

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    And I keep telling you that it wasn't ONLY the Stingers. The RPG-7s, the other weapon systems, the financial and moral support also had a great impact on the tide of war. BUt hey that's ok; if you really believe a single weapon can determine the outcome of a war then so be it. I sincerely hope that that will never be true.

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

I don't agree. There is EVIDENCE, as I quoted above, which suggests the STINGER was the PRIMARY CAUSE for the Losing "rebels" to become "Victors". Without the Addition of the missile, there's a great chance the Rebels would never have gained the upper hand.

Losing the battle....Add some Stingers....Now they are winning. That's what happened. Sure, they were given "other" resources, but none were effective enough to cause the major shift in Soviet Tactics, enabling the Rebels to gain and hold land previously unavailable.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1