African Union Troop Deployment to Darfur Delayed

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Could it be any slower getting AU troops deployed in Darfur? Are they walking there? Do they need air transport? Nigeria must have at least a couple of C130s that could be used. I think the "logistics" delay is code for political delay. Anyway, here's a story about Rwanda troops delayed a week because of "logistics." We must hope they do a better job of preventing genocide in Darfur than they did in their own country.

Newest Darfur Peacekeepers Delayed a Week – Rwanda

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L17641583.htm

Oct 17 (Reuters) - A battalion of Rwandan peacekeeping troops scheduled to arrive in Sudan's Darfur region this weekend will be delayed by a week because of logistical problems, Rwanda said on Sunday.
The Rwandan troops are part of an African Union force of 4,500 being deployed to monitor a shaky ceasefire in Darfur, where fighting has forced more than 1.5 million people from their homes since February 2003.
An estimated 70,000 people have died during the conflict, according to the U.N. World Health Organization.
Protais Mitali, Rwanda's minister of state for regional cooperation, said the Rwandan soldiers were ready to go.
"There are some outstanding issues related to logistics that they need to finalize. Our forces are ready to go anytime," he told Reuters. Mitali did not specify the number of troops in the battalion, which usually has between 500 and 1,000 soldiers.
The Sudanese government two weeks ago agreed to allow and additional 4,000 AU peacekeepers into the country, who will join 150 ceasefire monitors and 300 AU troops already there.
Khartoum has said it is waiting for the AU's Peace and Security Council to meet on Oct. 20 and decide on the expanded duties and numbers of the force.
AU Chairman Olusegun Obasanjo on Friday said the expanded force should be in place by the end of November. The Rwandan battalion was to have been the first of the new group to arrive, followed by a Nigerian battalion, he said.
Obasanjo, the Nigerian president, said he expected three other countries to supply a battalion each.
Rwandan soldiers were the first foreign force to go to Darfur, arriving on Aug. 16 to guard observers monitoring the ceasefire.
Peace talks between Sudan and rebels from the Darfur region are expected to resume in Abuja, Nigeria, on Oct. 21.

Annan has to wait until all those who support it are "done" with thier business.
How many more years to we have to deal with this asshole anyway?

YAY, thousands more will die as the world does nothing. let's all celebrate the triumph of evil in darfur. terrorists are winning and no one gives a damn. we all know damn well if a few certain powerful countries (Britain, cough, France, cough, America, cough) put their all into making an intervention happen (w/wo UN approval), this bullshit would stop immediately. sadly, this ain't bound to happen any time soon.

btw, China and Russia are celebrating as well. Their victory over US human rights is total and complete.

NATO AIR said:
YAY, thousands more will die as the world does nothing. let's all celebrate the triumph of evil in darfur. terrorists are winning and no one gives a damn. we all know damn well if a few certain powerful countries (Britain, cough, France, cough, America, cough) put their all into making an intervention happen (w/wo UN approval), this bullshit would stop immediately. sadly, this ain't bound to happen any time soon.

btw, China and Russia are celebrating as well. Their victory over US human rights is total and complete.

Hear, Hear! I'd like to see Bush actually prove he has the high moral ground and help Darfur.

MJDuncan1982 said:
Hear, Hear! I'd like to see Bush actually prove he has the high moral ground and help Darfur.

He already proved it by taking out Saddam.

MJDuncan1982 said:

Well dammit--get the congress to declare war on them !!! Any Dems wanna write the declaration that will send troops and aid to Sudan?? I'm fucking sick and tired of this whining !!!!! The Dems just sit on their asses and blame everyone but themselves. Congress has power !! Use it or shut the fuck up!!

in all fairness, its not about moral high ground... the prez has very difficult decisions to make that most politicians have no idea of... the army is tied up in iraq... the american people seem to be growing weary, what more can he do at this point? the onus is on the american people to support their leaders, not second guess them.... prez. bush may feel he'll be second guessed at every turn if he tries to do something, especially during the election season

NATO AIR said:
in all fairness, its not about moral high ground... the prez has very difficult decisions to make that most politicians have no idea of... the army is tied up in iraq... the american people seem to be growing weary, what more can he do at this point? the onus is on the american people to support their leaders, not second guess them.... prez. bush may feel he'll be second guessed at every turn if he tries to do something, especially during the election season

I agree NATO and most reasonable people are aware of this yet the damn left has to bitch about Korea, Iran, Sudan , Saudi Arabia etc etc. If they are serious then they can start writing their declarations of war. THEY ARE NOT IMPOTENT yet the act like it and blame Bush. PUT UP OR SHUT UP . Let's see how this flies when the Dems start carrying this flag!!

dilloduck said:
I agree NATO and most reasonable people are aware of this yet the damn left has to bitch about Korea, Iran, Sudan , Saudi Arabia etc etc. If they are serious then they can start writing their declarations of war. THEY ARE NOT IMPOTENT yet the act like it and blame Bush. PUT UP OR SHUT UP . Let's see how this flies when the Dems start carrying this flag!!

Not to mention the numerous things one can do to help as an individual, NGO's would be perfectly happy to accept volunteers.

Said1 said:
Not to mention the numerous things one can do to help as an individual, NGO's would be perfectly happy to accept volunteers.

i'm only allowed by the military to volunteer for online/writing support. they won't allow me to go to darfur or chad. :bs1: eh, i joined and i must follow orders. first things first when i get out i'm going to whatever trouble spot is in serious trouble.

Forum List

Back