Just Answered An E Mail From A Long Time Friend From Military Days

Cammmpbell

Sep 13, 2011
He sent a video basically bad mouthing the inner cities:

"First racist video I've seen today. You know Chas....I don't think one of our guard companies ever had a Black in it. When I began working at K-25 in the 50's they still had "Colored Only" signs at half the water fountains, rest rooms and change houses. In 1968 they required us to stop hiring the boss's cousin or nephew and start interviewing Blacks for openings and 10% of who we hired had to be minority and at least 10% female. My wife was one of the first women ever to become a shift working computer operator. All this sort of thing was required because we were a prime contractor for the DOE and after the civil rights legislation in the mid 60's all government and contractor activities was subject to the same hiring and anti descrimination procedures.

Now...nearly 40% of the troops in Afghanistan are Black or Hispanic, a Black from meager beginnings graduated magna cum laude from Harvard and was just elected president of the United States for a second time. We've Come A Long Way Baby!"

Last edited:
Have you been in contact with this person throughout the years following the completion of your military service?

Have you been in contact with this person throughout the years following the completion of your military service?

We're closer than that. I helped him study for and get his amateur radio operators license in the sixties and my wife and I have been to dinner with he and his second wife numerous times in the last 20 years. The big reason racism thrives in this country is because too many people listen to racial jokes, epithets and wise cracks and never speak up. I've lost three friends over this but at my age I'm prepared to lose more if they can't stand the heat. You remember what ol' Harry said about the heat and the kitchen don't you?

Last edited:

We're closer than that. I helped him study for and get his amateur radio operators license in the sixties and my wife and I have been to dinner with he and his second wife numerous times in the last 20 years. The big reason racism thrives in this country is because too many people listen to racial jokes, epithets and wise cracks and never speak up. I've lost three friends over this but at my age I'm prepared to lose more if they can't stand the heat. You remember what ol' Harry said about the heat and the kitchen don't you?

no.....what did i say?......:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back