Just a thought...

I'm a gun owner, a second amendment rights advocate, and I don't believe in any type of small arm weapons controls.

However...cops most everywhere know that 94% of Americans lack the balls to shoot an armed intruder. Most of the time they hide or flee.

It's a losing argument for our side of the gun control argument to use the concept that a armed citizens make all of us more safe. They're just not that brave on the average
[citation needed]

Do you live in Great Britian?
Do you have any idea of the number of accidental deaths and suicides here in the USA by gun? And we put up with massacres of young kids. All so you can entertain your fantasy of shooting the robber who is breaking in to your house.

Or is it the fantasy of repealing the invasion of the body snatchers a.k.a. jack booted government thugs coming to take your guns and liberty.

How many invasions you repealed?

How many times has a breakin occured at your house?

How come your fantasies/fears are more important than other peoples realities?
How many times have the police shown up in time to prevent crime?

The burglars were fleeing when Mr. Martin shot them.

Barras was shot in the back and died at the scene, while Fearon was shot in the leg and recovered after treatment in hospital.

But it emerged the pair had been shot as they tried to flee through a window.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Norfolk | Tony Martin: Crime and controversy

That's why he was convicted of manslaughter.
They were still inside his house. The manslaughter charge is fucked up.

I'm a gun owner, a second amendment rights advocate, and I don't believe in any type of small arm weapons controls.

However...cops most everywhere know that 94% of Americans lack the balls to shoot an armed intruder. Most of the time they hide or flee.

It's a losing argument for our side of the gun control argument to use the concept that a armed citizens make all of us more safe. They're just not that brave on the average

Why that's a pretty realistic assesment. Cops will even tell you how damn hard it is to hit a man that is or could be shooting at you. Adrenaline pumping, pulse at 180, scared, dark. Not the best of shooting sceniaros.

But the gun nuts all think that your regular citizen, just like a typical third grade teacher, all have the temperment of John Wayne.

If they only had a gun seems to be the mantra. If just everybody had a gun, the world would be a safer place. Convoluted thinking.
If responsible, well-trained citizens had weapons, the world would be a safer place.

Can you understand the difference?

From wikipedia:

In 1999, Martin, a bachelor, was living alone at his farmhouse in Emneth Hungate, Norfolk, nicknamed Bleak House, which he inherited at age 35 from his uncle.[3] He claimed to have been burgled a total of ten times, losing £6,000 worth of furniture. Police sources say they are not sure that all the incidents took place.[4] Martin also complained about police inaction over the burglaries and claimed that multiple items and furniture were stolen such as dinnerware and a grandfather clock.[5] Martin had equipped himself with an illegally-held pump-action Winchester Model 1300 12 bore[6] shotgun which he claimed to have found.[7] Martin had his shotgun certificate revoked in 1994 after he found a man scrumping for apples in his orchard and shot a hole in the back of his vehicle.[4] Pump-action shotguns with a magazine capacity above 2 are illegal to hold on a Shotgun Certificate however, and can only be held with a Firearms Certificate.[8]

On the night of 20 August 1999, two burglars – Brendon Fearon, 29, and Fred Barras, 16 – broke into Martin's house.[9] Shooting downwards in the dark, with his shotgun, loaded with birdshot, Martin evidentially shot three times towards the intruders (once when they were in the stairwell and twice more when they were trying to flee through the window of an adjacent ground floor room). Barras was hit - fatally - in the back and both sustained gunshot injuries to their legs. Both escaped through the window but Barras died at the scene.[2] Martin claimed that he opened fire after being woken when the intruders smashed a window. But his claim that he had shot at them from halfway down the stairs was apparently disproved by scientific evidence that showed he must have fired his shotgun from the doorway of a downstairs room. The prosecution accused him of lying in wait for the burglars and opening fire without warning from close range, in retribution for previous break-ins at his home.[10]

OP negged.
:( How terrible that someone thought he had the right to defend himself from criminals.

Why that's a pretty realistic assesment. Cops will even tell you how damn hard it is to hit a man that is or could be shooting at you. Adrenaline pumping, pulse at 180, scared, dark. Not the best of shooting sceniaros.

But the gun nuts all think that your regular citizen, just like a typical third grade teacher, all have the temperment of John Wayne.

If they only had a gun seems to be the mantra. If just everybody had a gun, the world would be a safer place. Convoluted thinking.
One time when I was a teenager, I was shot in the forearm at the California state Fair, it was a ricochet of a 22 round that bounced off a steel street lamp post.

At any rate...I had all kinds of brave friends with me at the time who all thought it would be cool to shoot someone who broke into their house. But when all of us heard the shot hat hit me, every single person I could see, in all directions, were running like Antelopes chased by Lions, including me.

Smart people run.

You really find out what people are made of when the chips are down, and it's usually the quiet ones (and I don't mean whimps) who step up, and the tough guys crumble just like he rest.

What? Are you saying that the ones who do the most talking about how they are going to shoot the enemy are the ones who are most likely to turn tail and run?
No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying what people think they will do doesn't neccesarilly resemble what they will do.

The fight or flight response isn't really voluntary, and the response is physiological not psychological. That's why armies and police need to be trained and drilled, to avoid the individualistic nature of the response.

That bunch of 120 or so Utah teachers who attended that gun industry class have a long way to go before they should be allowed to carry in a school. Some day some teacher is going to feel threatened by a student, then shoot them. And that would defeat the purpose

Barras was shot in the back and died at the scene, while Fearon was shot in the leg and recovered after treatment in hospital.
But it emerged the pair had been shot as they tried to flee through a window.

There's a reason why the term 'backshooter' has a negative connotation.

So instead of being a story about a poor inncoent farmer protecting himself, it turns out to be a story about a man who shot another, not to protect himself, but because he was pissed off at him.

He shot a man in the back and killed him because he was pissed off at him. He gets three years and a hefty chunk of change for his story???

Why does it not surprise me that crucial elements of this story were deleted and then circulated around to promote a political cause?

Man - you people REALLY need to start checking under the hood and stop swallowing every little thing your cult leaders put on your plate.

So instead of being a story about a poor inncoent farmer protecting himself, it turns out to be a story about a man who shot another, not to protect himself, but because he was pissed off at him.

He shot a man in the back and killed him because he was pissed off at him. He gets three years and a hefty chunk of change for his story???

Why does it not surprise me that crucial elements of this story were deleted and then circulated around to promote a political cause?

Man - you people REALLY need to start checking under the hood and stop swallowing every little thing your cult leaders put on your plate.
So, it looks like we can put your name under the "believes it's morally superior to be murdered by a criminal than to defend yourself with a firearm" column.

Not that there was ever any doubt.

Maybe daveyboy should change his tag line from gunslinger to backshooter.
You're probably not a Stephen King fan, so your ignorance is perhaps excusable.

Is THAT what your avi is? Roland of Gilead, perhaps from the comics? I haven't read those, and I don't recall that pic from the novels, but you know how they reissue and change things every few years. :)

As far as the OP.....shooting the burglar as he is fleeing the house is far different from shooting him as he threatens you. I don't know how I feel about the 3 year manslaughter sentence, but it's a far cry from someone in the process of defending their life as the OP made it seem.

Whatever else is true, the burglars were certainly in the wrong.

So, it looks like we can put your name under the "believes it's morally superior to be murdered by a criminal than to defend yourself with a firearm" column.

Not that there was ever any doubt.

How was a guy you shot in the back a threat to murder you?

You have a right to use reasonable force to defend yourself. NOT to "exact your own style of justice."

Idiots who don't know the difference make a compelling case FOR gun control.

A home intruder don't deserve to die, the nigga is just trying to get a NUT, or something he can sell to get HIGH, doesn't deserve to die.

Do you live in Great Britian?
Do you have any idea of the number of accidental deaths and suicides here in the USA by gun? And we put up with massacres of young kids. All so you can entertain your fantasy of shooting the robber who is breaking in to your house.

Or is it the fantasy of repealing the invasion of the body snatchers a.k.a. jack booted government thugs coming to take your guns and liberty.

How many invasions you repealed?

How many times has a breakin occured at your house?

How come your fantasies/fears are more important than other peoples realities?

Fuck you.

We do not put up with massacres, if we did no one would be arguing about gun control. There is actually a simple way to prevent kids being shot, or abused, take them away from their parents and raise them in government approved creches with armed guards stationed around the perimeter. My guess is that you would find that as abhorrent as I do, yet you are the one that is arguing for it.

The OP is an ancient email from about ten years ago.

Tony Martin was not sentenced to life.

Mr Martin's conviction for murder, in April 2000, caused a national outcry. It was reduced to manslaughter and the sentence cut to five years on appeal.

His release was delayed until the summer of 2003 because he refused to express any remorse over the death of Mr Barras.
'I don't regret shooting dead teenage burglar', says remorseless farmer Tony Martin | Mail Online

He served 3 years.

As for the burglars, one died. But the others involved served time:

January 10, 2000 - Mr Fearon and Darren Bark, 33, both from Newark, Nottinghamshire, admit to conspiring to burgle Bleak House. Mr Fearon is jailed for 3 years and Mr Bark is sentenced to 30 months.
Mr. Martin made out all right:

July 28, 2003 - Mr Martin is released from custody. He sells his story to the Daily Mirror for £100,000.

He lost 3 years of his life to idiots, no amount of money can compensate for that.

The OP is an ancient email from about ten years ago.

Tony Martin was not sentenced to life.

Mr Martin's conviction for murder, in April 2000, caused a national outcry. It was reduced to manslaughter and the sentence cut to five years on appeal.

His release was delayed until the summer of 2003 because he refused to express any remorse over the death of Mr Barras.
'I don't regret shooting dead teenage burglar', says remorseless farmer Tony Martin | Mail Online

He served 3 years.

As for the burglars, one died. But the others involved served time:

Mr. Martin made out all right:

July 28, 2003 - Mr Martin is released from custody. He sells his story to the Daily Mirror for £100,000.

He shot them while they were trying to flee. The dead kid was shot in the back.

They broke into his house, end of discussion.

Is it because that is where people like you shoot other people rather than give them a chance to defend themselves?

Forum List

Back