Judge Ruled Against SS In Terry Schaivo Case

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by krisy, Mar 11, 2005.

1. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    http://start.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20050311/423125d0_3ca6_1552620050311-1450504630

This just slays me. It seems like government is always sticking their nose into something until it's important and really needed. Babies are being aborted,- who cares,not our business,its their "right". Someone like Terry lies in a bed ,eyes open,smiling,even saying a few words-who cares about the fact she had an abusive husband,let him starve her to death. Pathetic!!!

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    This entire sorry episode is a total mess from all perspectives.

But I'm interested to see if Michael Schiavo accepts or rejects the million dollar offer. If he rejects it, then I have to believe that he is acting on his wife's wishes.

Krisy, it's easy to get caught up in the details of this case and lose sight of the basic issue. That basic issue is not whether the feeding tube should or should not be removed, but rather did Terri Schiavo express her wishes in this regard. THAT is the central issue - the right of the individual to control his or her own fate. If Terri Schiavo stated that she did not want to live in this condition, then neither her parents nor government agencies have the right to contravene those wishes. If she did not express such a desire, then her husband's motives are extremely suspect and only then do we have a case for the courts or for social agencies.

3. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

But we do not her wishes,and he cannot prove them,therefore that puts that issue to bed for me. IMO,she should live,under her parents watch ,and who knows,maybe she could improve.I just believe we should go with the side of life on this one. Also,IMO you cannot starve someone to death-it's cruel. It is an issue.

4. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The offer was rejected.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050311/D88OTRNO0.html

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A man fighting to have a feeding tube removed from his brain-damaged wife on Friday rejected a California businessman's offer to pay him $1 million to give up his right to decide her medical treatment.

Thursday's offer, which the husband's attorney labeled "offensive," came hours after a judge refused to let the state's social services agency intervene - a move that would have delayed next week's scheduled removal of the tube.

Other such offers, including one for $10 million, had already been made and rejected by Michael Schiavo, said his attorney, George Felos.

5. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Oh, I do realize what the basic issue is and, as I understand it, she did not express her wishes in that regard. Because of that, I don't see how they can justify letting her starve.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    she didn't express her wishes in that regard? how so?

7. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    She didn't have her wishes written down.

8. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    that, in no way, shape, or form, means that those were not her wishes.

9. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    But it means that there is no way that we can accurately ascertain her wishes. That is what the whole court battle has really been about. Should we as a society let her starve to death on the word of her husband against the rest of her family? In this case we either would have to be psychic or just arrogant to assume that we know what her wishes are.

10. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So if he turned down 1mil, what's her life insurance policy worth when she dies?