Judge burns 'biased' fdny recruit exam

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
The FDNY discriminated against black and Hispanic applicants for years through written exams that bore "little relationship to the job of a firefighter," a judge ruled yesterday.

Brooklyn federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis said the "discriminatory effects" of the SAT-style tests helped limit the number of minority firefighters to just 303 blacks and 605 Hispanics -- or 3.4 and 6.7 percent, respectively -- out of a total force of 8,998 in 2007.

Read more: BROOKLYN JUDGE RULES 2007 FDNY RECRUIT EXAM WAS BIASED, LIMITING MINORITY FIREFIGHTERS - NYPOST.com

Firefighting is a job that requires quick and accurate decision making under highly stressful situations. I fail to see a public safety benefit to letting the cognitively challenged join the ranks, but, hey, at least we have diversity.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AtCJ5gdgFE[/ame]

• Banned
If all races of people are equal, then all results from any test should be equal.

No matter what they change the written test to, blacks and Hispanics will still do poorly.

I remember seeing in legal briefs a complaint from the feds that black males are afraid of heights, and therefore, standards must be altered so that they can be firefighters.

Yes, in briefs.

This was an actual argument of a federal attorney.

Because... who cares if your firefighter is afraid of heights? At least he's black. That should all make us feel safer.

testing was originally brought in to make sure hiring was colourblind. when that didnt work they brought back interview with minorities on the panel. now that that didnt work they just have lawsuits. I dont know why every black doesnt apply, there will probably be lots of money passed around sooner or later.

I took the fdny ff exam years ago. passed it, but didn't score in the top 10% to get hired. the written test consisted of reading comprehension and memorization. the agility test was harder. unless they changed the test and included info that only a white person would know (maybe like naming all the players in the nhl). I can't see where this judge can make such an accusation. I believe that the people who brought this suit feel uncomfortable about being in the minority. plus if the test was so bias, how did all the minorities presently in the fire dept. pass it?