JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: 1st Impressions

Stasha_Sz

Gold Member
Jun 13, 2016
Katy Prairie
In order to expand the awareness of the Anime art form here on the USMB, I've taken it upon myself to post a series of reviews of current and classic titles so that new viewers can get an idea of what they are in store for. I'll try to keep spoilers to a minimum and stick to basic overviews of the shows in question.

On series that have more than one episode, I will most likely give a first impression review, such as this one today. Those that are shorter, or have but one episode, I'll do the whole show/series. For overall ratings, I will use a "star" system, 5 stars being the highest, 1 star being the worst. Where possible, I will also include a link to where the show may be viewed, where not possible, I will try to give a general availability source.

Today's Series: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable
Overall Rating: ***
Episodes: 22 (so far)
Style: Shounen
Type: Supernatural/Action
Age Rating: Teen (language, violence, bloodshed)
Availability: Crunchyroll JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on Crunchyroll!

Diamond Is Unbreakable is the most recent series available here in the States of the highly popular JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. It focuses on the main characters of Jotaro Kujo, Josuke Higashikata and Koichi Hirose and the action is set in the town of Morioh in April of 1999. The plot revolves around the ability to create and project a "Stand", which are as stated in the show "a physical manifestation of psychological energy". The Stand is depicted as a ghostly superhero, almost mecha in form, that is activated by the emotional state of the user, or in Josuke's case, by making fun of his pompadour hair-do.

Jotaro has been sent to find Josuke by his estranged father, both to see if Josuke has developed a Stand and to investigate a series of what appears to be Stand related occurrences in Morioh. The show revolves around the trio meeting and defeating Morioh's Stand users.

Though this is the most recent installment of a long running series, so far I have not had to view older installments to be able to follow the storyline.

The artwork is actually pretty good for this type of anime, the characters are distinctive and easily recognizable, though the costumes are a bit lame, (parachute pants and uniforms with hearts, stars, $, etc). The backgrounds have some mobility and frozen scene voiceovers are kept to a minimum.

The story is passable, if one is into the action genre, and does tend to keep ones attention fixed. It is a bit predictable, so far at least, as you know the bad guy is going to be a Stand user.

The opening theme is typical J-Pop, nothing special, the closing theme is more recognizable and better done. Incidental music is low key and barely noticeable.

The anime is in Japanese and subtitled.

If you like the action type of anime, you will likely enjoy JoJo.

Forum List

Back