Joe Cocker dead at 70

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Singer Joe Cocker Dead at 70

Joe Cocker has died at 70 as the result of an undisclosed illness, according to a BBC report.
Born in Sheffield, England, the Grammy-winning singer-songwriter had multiple hits over his 40 year career, including “Up Where We Belong” and “You Are So Beautiful.”
He rose up through the ranks of the Sheffield clubs in the 1960s, but his mainstream breakthrough came in 1968 when he famously covered the iconic Beatles song “With a Little Help From My Friends,” which placed high on both U.S. and UK charts.
Cocker won his Grammy Award in 1983 for his duet with Jennifer Warnes, “Up Where We Belong.” The song appeared on the soundtrack to the 1982 Richard Gere and Debra Winger film “An Officer and a Gentleman.”
His version of “With a Little Help From My Friends” resurfaced again in 1988, as the theme song to ABC’s period comedy-drama,”The Wonder Years,” starring Fred Savage.

images

Joe Cocker squared

Joe Cocker has died at 70 as the result of an undisclosed illness, according to a BBC report.
Born in Sheffield, England, the Grammy-winning singer-songwriter had multiple hits over his 40 year career, including “Up Where We Belong” and “You Are So Beautiful.”
He rose up through the ranks of the Sheffield clubs in the 1960s, but his mainstream breakthrough came in 1968 when he famously covered the iconic Beatles song “With a Little Help From My Friends,” which placed high on both U.S. and UK charts.
Cocker won his Grammy Award in 1983 for his duet with Jennifer Warnes, “Up Where We Belong.” The song appeared on the soundtrack to the 1982 Richard Gere and Debra Winger film “An Officer and a Gentleman.”
His version of “With a Little Help From My Friends” resurfaced again in 1988, as the theme song to ABC’s period comedy-drama,”The Wonder Years,” starring Fred Savage.

I was very sad to read that article this morning. He was a good musician and singer.

I had a chance to work with him once but I already had plans to go out of town that weekend. I couldn't change the tickets.

:( The great singer has passed on....

LONDON (AP) — British singer Joe Cocker is dead at age 70.
His London-based agent, Barrie Marshall, said Cocker died early Monday of lung cancer in Colorado, where he has lived for the past two decades.

Joe Cocker dies at 70

I'm sorry to hear of his death. He did not write the song You're so beautiful. A Christian named Billy Preston did. Billy Preston wrote that song for the LORD. It is a love song to the LORD not a romance song. Phil Driscoll used to entertain with Joe Cocker before he was saved and tells the story about it before he sings the song on this video. My condolences to his family.

Last edited:
another great tune...the dude could sing.

there may never be another like him....this is a sad day.

I'm sorry to hear of his death. He did not write the song You're so beautiful. A Christian named Billy Preston did. Billy Preston wrote that song for the LORD. It is a love song to the LORD not a romance song. Phil Driscoll used to entertain with Joe Cocker before he was saved and tells the story about it before he sings the song on this video. My condolences to his family.

I don't know why you want to tie everything with your god but in this case you're wrong.

You see, Billy Preston wasn't the only person who wrote that song. It was Billy Preston, Dennis Wilson and Bruce Fisher who wrote that song.

The words and music were a collaboration of Billy Preston and Dennis Wilson and they did it spontaneously at a party.

You Are So Beautiful - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You know, I'm not sure Cocker ever wrote a song himself, but his versions of the work of others was and is arguably better than the originals...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back