Joe Biden told us there will be a food shortage in the fall, but offered no plans to get more food produced

Most fertilizer is a by product of refining oil.
That is only true for Ammonium Sulfate and Ammonium Nitrate both of which are made from or with Natural gas.

Phosphorous and Potassium are generally mined as solids.

If we export one gram of food while we have a shortage in the USA, we need a Bastille Day.

Fuck that bullshit.

I appreciate that post and I do get what you are saying.

At a minimum, we should stop exporting if we cant feed ourselves. We can cerainly stop paying farmers not to grow.

These seem easy. I am not suggesting the only solution is to build a bunch of meat packing facilities in 6 months.

Biden has not told us what the plan is at all.

NOTHING.
Biden has no plan and nobody is going to starve in the US for a lack of food either food produced here or imported.

The biggest issue is going to be feed grains because of the amount of fertilizer involved in producing them.

Small organic farms will not only do ok, they'll probably prosper quite well.

The farm program isn't perfect but it's kept the US from having to deal with famine for most of a hundred years at least here at home and goes a long way to ensuring we have the widest variety of foods available at the most reasonable prices in the developed world.

Just look for the gov't buying up commodities like milk, butter, cheese, instant potatoes and canned meats like we haven't seen in decades to be distributed by their favored NGO's and a huge boost in the food stamp program.

That is only true for Ammonium Sulfate and Ammonium Nitrate both of which are made from or with Natural gas.

Phosphorous and Potassium are generally mined as solids.
You got me. I just know KSA is a huge supplier for fertilizer to southeast Asia.

That really adds up when you are selling 370 million gallons per day at 4 bucks a gallon. Quick math puts that at about 100 million dollars of profit per day.
You're sort of right.

42 gallons (one barrel) at about $100, it's more like $2.38 a gallon, which is about 880 million, assuming 370 million gallons of oil a day.

Refined is a different story.

That really adds up when you are selling 370 million gallons per day at 4 bucks a gallon. Quick math puts that at about 100 million dollars of profit per day.
Only a fraction of each barrel of oil can be made into gasoline or diesel. It gets even more expensive in the US because of the mandated seasonal blends.

Neither the refiners nor the gas stations/convenience stores are making huge profits just because the price of gas is up. Their costs are way up as well.

Only a fraction of each barrel of oil can be made into gasoline or diesel. It gets even more expensive in the US because of the mandated seasonal blends.

Neither the refiners nor the gas stations/convenience stores are making huge profits just because the price of gas is up. Their costs are way up as well.
Tex, I'm thinking of urea and sulphur.

I know they are not making huge profits, but companies like Exxon/Mobile sure are

If we export one gram of food while we have a shortage in the USA, we need a Bastille Day.

Fuck that bullshit.

So you think the Fed Govt should stop private individuals from selling their wares where they wish to?

We do not play that game here in the US Comrade.

We are not at war.
We weren't at war fighting Covid Either or H1H1 A few years prior but the last 3 presidents have all enacted national emergencies or continued same in the name of fighting a disease.

If we got into serious trouble the Fed has that power.

Forum List

Back