Jobs, The Future, and the Lies Politicians Tell

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
If you do not have a college education, or the wrong kind of college education (arts/humanities, etc), or your kids don't receive the right college education, the future is going to be very grim for you/them.

Our education system is not keeping up with the needs of the future. The Left is more concerned with providing transgender bathrooms, and the Right is more concerned with mocking anyone with intelligence.

So you're fucked.

As I've said many times, any politician who tells you they are going to "bring back jobs from China" or anywhere else are flat-out lying to you. Most of the jobs which have been lost in the past few decades have been lost to technological improvements. They did not go overseas. They just went away, and they are not coming back. Ever.

We need to be training our children for the jobs of tomorrow, not the factory jobs of their fathers.

It is easier for a lazy, clueless huckster to lie to you than to do the heavy lifting of solving the problems inherent in our education system.

Citizens in industrialized countries believe that digital technology is fostering inequality and that this problem is likely to grow worse in the decades ahead (Smith and Anderson, 2017; Wike and Stokes, 2018). Although public and expert opinions often diverge on economic questions, survey data confirm that academic economists share this worry. A 2017 Chicago Booth poll found that 35 to 40 percent of leading U.S. economists believe that robots and artificial intelligence are likely to substantially increase long- term unemployment rates.

[snip]

I start from the premise that what workers earn in a market economy depends substantially, though not exclusively, on their productivity–that is, the value they produce through their labor. Their productivity depends in turn on two things: first, their capabilities (concretely, the tasks they can accomplish); and second, their scarcity. The fewer workers that are available to accomplish a given task and the more that employers need that task accomplished by workers (rather than by, for example, machines or algorithms), the higher is the workers’ economic value and thus their potential earnings. In conventional terms, the skill premium depends upon the supply of skills and the demand for skills.

If you do not have a college education, or the wrong kind of college education (arts/humanities, etc), or your kids don't receive the right college education, the future is going to be very grim for you/them.

Our education system is not keeping up with the needs of the future. The Left is more concerned with providing transgender bathrooms, and the Right is more concerned with mocking anyone with intelligence.

So you're fucked.

As I've said many times, any politician who tells you they are going to "bring back jobs from China" or anywhere else are flat-out lying to you. Most of the jobs which have been lost in the past few decades have been lost to technological improvements. They did not go overseas. They just went away, and they are not coming back. Ever.

We need to be training our children for the jobs of tomorrow, not the factory jobs of their fathers.

It is easier for a lazy, clueless huckster to lie to you than to do the heavy lifting of solving the problems inherent in our education system.

Citizens in industrialized countries believe that digital technology is fostering inequality and that this problem is likely to grow worse in the decades ahead (Smith and Anderson, 2017; Wike and Stokes, 2018). Although public and expert opinions often diverge on economic questions, survey data confirm that academic economists share this worry. A 2017 Chicago Booth poll found that 35 to 40 percent of leading U.S. economists believe that robots and artificial intelligence are likely to substantially increase long- term unemployment rates.

[snip]

I start from the premise that what workers earn in a market economy depends substantially, though not exclusively, on their productivity–that is, the value they produce through their labor. Their productivity depends in turn on two things: first, their capabilities (concretely, the tasks they can accomplish); and second, their scarcity. The fewer workers that are available to accomplish a given task and the more that employers need that task accomplished by workers (rather than by, for example, machines or algorithms), the higher is the workers’ economic value and thus their potential earnings. In conventional terms, the skill premium depends upon the supply of skills and the demand for skills.

You are truly a moron. The overwhelming majority of college degrees are useless. You will go so deep into debt for a degree that will never pay for itself that you have to be a true idiot to seek one. The trades, on the other hand are where it's at today. A young man who I have known for years was locked in the college quagmire and hating it. He and I talked and I loaned him the 17,000 to go to Linemans school up in Idaho.

He had two job offers before he completed the school, moved to Pennsylvania, made enough in one year to pay me back, and buy a nice truck. He got laid off thanks to Covid, and moved back to Nevada. He then got a gig with the Linemans Union and after two years he is one and a half years from his Journeyman certification, and he is currently making around 60 an hour. More for when he does helicopter work, and over time.

And, he is HAPPY doing what he is doing.

You are truly a moron. The overwhelming majority of college degrees are useless. You will go so deep into debt for a degree that will never pay for itself that you have to be a true idiot to seek one. The trades, on the other hand are where it's at today. A young man who I have known for years was locked in the college quagmire and hating it. He and I talked and I loaned him the 17,000 to go to Linemans school up in Idaho.

He had two job offers before he completed the school, moved to Pennsylvania, made enough in one year to pay me back, and buy a nice truck. He got laid off thanks to Covid, and moved back to Nevada. He then got a gig with the Linemans Union and after two years he is one and a half years from his Journeyman certification, and he is currently making around 60 an hour. More for when he does helicopter work, and over time.

And, he is HAPPY doing what he is doing.
College educated people make far more money in their lifetimes than non-college educated.

That's a simple fact, no matter what your useless anecdote says.

I also stated right in my first sentence that if you have the wrong college education, you're just as fucked as someone who has no college education.

But if you have the right technical education, you'll be sitting pretty compared to all the non-college people.

You dumb MAGA folks really need to stop denying reality. It's going to cost you dearly.

Men with bachelor's degrees earn approximately $900,000 more in median lifetime earnings than high school graduates. Women with bachelor's degrees earn $630,000 more. Men with graduate degrees earn $1.5 million more in median lifetime earnings than high school graduates. Women with graduate degrees earn $1.1 million more.

Wakey wakey!

College educated people make far more money in their lifetimes than non-college educated.

I also stated right in my first sentence that if you have the wrong college education, you're just as fucked as someone who has no college education.

But if you have the right technical education, you'll be sitting pretty compared to all the non-college people.

You dumb MAGA folks really need to stop denying reality. It's going to cost you dearly.

Bullshit. My lineman friend will make more money, over his lifetime, than 90% of all college grads.

At the founding of our great nation, 98 percent of all workers were in the agricultural sector.

Today, about 2 percent of all workers are in the agricultural sector.

The amount of money earned by the agricultural sector continues to grow, but not the workforce. That's all thanks to technology.

What would you make of a politician who promised the rubes to "bring back all those lost farming jobs"? You'd take him for an idiot, yes?

Now let's look at the big picture for manufacturing:

Real-USManufacturing1950-2014.jpg

The red line is productivity (making more stuff). The blue line is manufacturing jobs.

Manufacturing jobs are NOT coming back. They are gone for good.

http://conexus.cberdata.org/files/MfgReality.pdf

Almost 88 percent of job losses in manufacturing in recent years can be attributable to productivity growth, and the long-term changes to manufacturing employment are mostly linked to the productivity of American factories.

We have GOT to stop falling for hucksters and their pandering bullshit.

We need to retool our education system for the jobs of tomorrow. Badly. Immediately.

Your anecdote is evidentiarily worthless.

Please take a course in Logic.

Take one yourself. Most college degree's pay 60,000 to 90,000. Most of the trades START at 100,000.

DURRRRR

Take one yourself. Most college degree's pay 60,000 to 90,000. Most of the trades START at 100,000.

DURRRRR
See post 4.

This time, remove your hands from your eyes.

Reality is bitch slapping the shit out of our unemployed and under-employed, son. And it is only going to get worse if we don't do something about it.

DURRRRR

“If you look at where the jobs are, the sweet spot is an associate’s degree with a focus on the trades,” said Rounds, a former Army lieutenant colonel who previously taught engineering at West Point and whose desk faces a portrait of benefactor Isaiah Vansant Williamson.

DURRRR

Even the trades are getting more technical, requiring higher level education.

“If you look at where the jobs are, the sweet spot is an associate’s degree with a focus on the trades,” said Rounds, a former Army lieutenant colonel who previously taught engineering at West Point and whose desk faces a portrait of benefactor Isaiah Vansant Williamson.

DURRRR

Even the trades are getting more technical, requiring higher level education.

An ASSOCIATES IS A TRADE! DUMBASS!

You never went to college, did you....

There is a lot of equity hires with those college degrees. A major reason we are in decline.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

What sets the United States apart are U.S.-specific institutional changes and policy choices that failed to blunt, and in some cases magnified, the consequences of these pressures on the U.S. labor market. The United States has allowed traditional channels of worker voice to atrophy without fostering new institutions or buttressing existing ones. It has permitted the federal minimum wage to recede to near-irrelevance, lowering the floor under the labor market for low-paid workers. It has embraced a policy-driven expansion of free trade with the developing world, Mexico and China in particular, yet failed to direct the gains toward redressing the employment losses and retraining needs of workers.

There is a lot of equity hires with those college degrees. A major reason we are in decline.
One of the reasons there are about 10 million unfilled jobs right now is because employers are having an extremely difficult time finding Americans with the necessary skills to do those jobs.

They are having to rely more and more on foreign workers.

One of the reasons there are about 10 million unfilled jobs right now is because employers are having an extremely difficult time finding Americans with the necessary skills to do those jobs.

They are having to rely more and more on foreign workers.

Wrong. The employers don't want to PAY for them. So, they tell the students to go get the degree's, but then hire cheap labor from India.

Oh really?.....One of my HS peers sold his plumbing/HVAC business for around 4 million a month or so ago. A a national chain bought him out.

You just need to apply yourself and not go through two or three wives (with the attending child support payments) to do well for you and yours.

All of my peers who adhered to that simple formula are enjoying comfortable retirements. A lot of my HS peers that went to college are still working because they made poor life/relationship choices.

Oh really?.....One of my HS peers sold his plumbing/HVAC business for around 4 million a month or so ago. A a national chain bought him out.

You just need to apply yourself and not go through two or three wives (with the attending child support payments) to do well for you and yours.

All of my peers who adhered to that simple formula are enjoying comfortable retirements. A lot of my HS peers that went to college are still working because they made poor life/relationship choices.
Again, anecdotes are evidentiarily worthless.

Forum List

Back