Job interview help...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fuzzykitten99, Oct 14, 2005.

1. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    I am looking to change jobs, because of problems with my current employer. Those problems may be resolved by the end of next week, but I have had it with working with a bunch of immature, back stabbing people, including managers, who make working there, miserable. I believe going to your job every day should not make you want to curl up and die, and make you come home in tears nearly every night. Even if the issues are resolved, I no longer trust my co-workers to be confidential about things, with the exception of one person. But that is not enough to make me want to stay. I basically would have to isolate myself, not talk to anyone, no socializing, nothing.

I am sure to get many interviews, guaranteed with all of them, including application questions, as to why I am looking to leave my current job. I want to be 100% honest, but I don't want to sound like I don't 'get along' with co-workers, as I have never had this problem in the past.

I really want to just say, I am sick of all the office politics and bs, and I didn't think it was the best environment for me to be in, being 9 weeks pregnant. I am wondering if the stress alone working there, is what has made my morning sickness as bad as it is. I tend to be fine at home.

How could I answer this question? Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    You don't think applying for a job being 9 weeks pregnant is a bigger deterent for future employers?

In the event of being asked why you are leaving, I would just say it's time to move on to other things. It is true, for the most part. You really don't want to get into a story about the unpleasent work environment your in right now, that doesn't sound good either.

Or, you could stick it out, and not go back when your mat-leave is up, that's what I did and I worked for the city. Barf.

3. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, you're better off sticking it out.. Your new employer is going to have to find a replacement for you within about 6 months or so, and that's a major inconvenience to them, so what would be the point in them hiring you?

4. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    no, because they cannot discriminate against you. plus, i have 3 job leads already. one is with the co. that my mother-in-law works for, and they would already know i am pregnant (MIL is super happy, and tells the whole world :rolleyes: ) , but i know her boss/the owner as well, and I know they wouldn't not hire me based on my condition. I have lots of experience in their line of work, and my husband's friend works for them too, and he knew nothing, nor had any experience with the same job when he started. Plus this job would allow me to work from home, and I would get a company car, because the job requires me to travel to different county offices several times a day.

the other 2 job leads are with the county in which i live in. I am early enough, not showing, to where I would not say anything to them during the interview, not until i would be hired. it is not like i would be lying, because they are not allowed to ask personal q's like that anyway. I would be like, I just found out I am preggers, and due on this date.

as far as healthcare, i looked into the situation, and no insurance through an employer (esp the state/county workers) can deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions. basically, to do so, would break several federal and state laws.

5. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Hate to be a bummer but.....

I second the vote for sticking it out. I would be shocked if someone would hire you knowing that you will be off for 6 weeks once you have the baby.

Sounds cruel..but it's true. I have done my share of hiring/firing and I have had women walk in at various stages of pregnancy.

I haven't had one yet that blew me away to the point that I would hire her. Now, you might be that one person who is incredibly intelligent, witty, and does a killer interview.

However......MOST people won't touch anyone who is pregnant.

6. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    i'm not staying home after the baby is born, i have to return to work. so my leave would be short.

that depends on where i go, and what i do. say i get the job with my MIL...all they would do, is assign the jobs to other reps for the time i am gone, as it takes a couple months to fully learn the job. i am sure it is the same with the other 2

7. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I agree, my condition was exceptional. It was supposed to be two weeks only. There was a staff rotation due to another girl leaving on "sick leave" so I stayed for another 6 months in a position that was vacated due to staff rotation. They weren't happy to find out I was pregnant though!

8. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    which is why i am not going to say anything until i am hired, because i am early enough along, and i am not showing. if they give me crap afterwards, then it is harrassment, and they can't fire me because i tell them a week later that I am preggers, that would be discrimination

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Third vote..Stay.

You really have no choice at this point, unless you just want to quit.

Time for a hormone level check, kid. That Preg stuff is like that, ya know?

10. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you purposely deceive someone like that just to get your way? It's rather catty, if you ask me... (sorry, I can't come up for another word for it right now.)