Mustang IIs. I liked them.

Jun 26, 2005
Ontario, Canada eh?
I like the Mustang II (the one from 1974-1978). Ford had made the right decision to size down the Mustang from its previous size as an ocean liner. Plus, the Mustang 2 had the luck of coming out when the first oil crisis started and they sold like 385,000 in the first year.

Even though the Mustang II had less horsepower, it's lightweight made up for it. Most people assume it sucks because of it's light horsepower, but if you machine the 302 or drop something else into it, it can fly.

What would you have perfered a 1973 Mustang the size of an ocean liner with a front heavy V8 or a smaller more managable 1974 Mustang made for more economy?

Plus, it was a pretty attractive car. The Mustang II had graceful lines, and was a nice size.

In 1974, the only year without a V8, it got CAR OF THE YEAR from Motor Trend. It was the first Musstang with rack and pinion steering also. For me it seems to be a good combo of somewhat modern ideas in a wonderful classic style body.

Big Blue Machin said:
I like the Mustang II (the one from 1974-1978). Ford had made the right decision to size down the Mustang from its previous size as an ocean liner. Plus, the Mustang 2 had the luck of coming out when the first oil crisis started and they sold like 385,000 in the first year.

Even though the Mustang II had less horsepower, it's lightweight made up for it. Most people assume it sucks because of it's light horsepower, but if you machine the 302 or drop something else into it, it can fly.

What would you have perfered a 1973 Mustang the size of an ocean liner with a front heavy V8 or a smaller more managable 1974 Mustang made for more economy?

Plus, it was a pretty attractive car. The Mustang II had graceful lines, and was a nice size.

In 1974, the only year without a V8, it got CAR OF THE YEAR from Motor Trend. It was the first Musstang with rack and pinion steering also. For me it seems to be a good combo of somewhat modern ideas in a wonderful classic style body.

agreed. i love the old 'stangs, just because they are classic, true American muscle. But consumer wants dictate product design. since people were less likely to buy gas guzzlers back then, it didn't make sense for Ford to produce them en-masse.

even though gas prices are high now, most people are just biting the bullet, because they know this is likely not permanent, and they just change other aspects in their lives, and even driving habits. My step-mom just got her 2005 'stang cobra delivered-orgasm on wheels...., and though it gets not-super mileage, it means the family just eats more home cooked meals, instead of constantly eating out.

Forum List

Back