Jethro Tull released their classic "Aqualung" 50 years ago today!

From that album for me gotta be Loco -
Saw 'em live in LA early 80s. Ian was great and that Barre feller can surely shred.
One of my favorite shows EVA! :cool-45:

Are we finally over the Jethro Tull/Metallica/Grammys thing? Tull RULES!

Fav song? ⁣

01. "Aqualung"⁣
02. "Cross-Eyed Mary"⁣
03. "Cheap Day Return"⁣
04. "Mother Goose"⁣
05. "Wond'ring Aloud"⁣
06. "Up to Me"⁣
07. "My God"⁣
08. "Hymn 43"⁣
09. "Slipstream"⁣
10. "Locomotive Breath"⁣
11. "Wind-Up"⁣
Locomotive Breath
Agreed. It is almost as good as Thick as a Brick and Bungle in the Jungle. My favs.

what if they're a tranny?
Good question. Probably hard to tell over there in Scotland.
c2be7f4780051bf7ae6fb1c20a3f9973.jpg

Think this was my favorite overall album. I knew it was a brilliant work, but listening to it on acid once convinced me.
And what's not to love about "Judges Disqualify Little Milton in Last Minute Ruckus" ??? :D

Why was Gerald (Little Milton) Bostock disqualified as first prize winner in the Literary Competition?​
Viewers protested to Bostock's reading of the poem due to its use of adult language, as well as interpretation of it to be a series of short poems instead of a single work. Based on viewer complaints, judges reevaluated and found Bostock and his poem to be unfitting of the award due to questionable topics, based on review of child therapists.​
THE SOCIETY FOR LITERARY ADVANCEMENT AND GESTATION (SLAG), announced their decision late last night to disqualify eight year old prizewinner Gerald (Little Milton) Bostock following the hundreds of protests and threats received after the reading of his epic poem "Thick as a Brick" on B.B.C. Television last Monday night.​
A hastily reconvened panel of Judges accepted the decision by four leading child psychiatrists that the boy's mind was seriously unbalanced and that his work was a product of an "extremely unwholesome attitude towards life, his God and Country". Bostock was recommended for psychiatric treatment following examination "without delay".​

81Lc2iCPMeL._SX522_.jpg

Fav song? ⁣

01. "Aqualung"⁣
02. "Cross-Eyed Mary"⁣
03. "Cheap Day Return"⁣
04. "Mother Goose"⁣
05. "Wond'ring Aloud"⁣
06. "Up to Me"⁣
07. "My God"⁣
08. "Hymn 43"⁣
09. "Slipstream"⁣
10. "Locomotive Breath"⁣
11. "Wind-Up"⁣

Sitting on a park bench
Eyeing little girls with bad intent
Snot's running down his nose
Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes
Hey, Aqualung
Drying in the cold sun
Watching as the frilly panties run
Hey, Aqualung
Feeling like a dead duck
Spitting out pieces of his broken luck
Oh, Aqualung
Sun streaking cold
An old man wandering lonely
Taking time the only way he knows
Leg hurting bad as he bends to pick a dog-end
Goes down to the bog and warms his feet
Feeling alone
The army's up the road
Salvation a la mode and a cup of tea
Aqualung, my friend
Don't you start away uneasy
You poor old sod
You see, it's only me
Do you still remember
December's foggy freeze
When the ice that clings on to your beard
Was screaming agony
And you snatch your rattling last breaths
With… More
Source: Musixmatch
I-don-t-always-dorsey.jpg

Good album. Thick as a Brick is prolly my favorite.
The interesting thing I remember seeing about Tull's music was the speed of which his songs were formulated.
Most of the songs came by them simply playing around, someone would hit a string of notes that sounded good, and Tull might literally write the words in a matter of minutes.
Which brings me to the humorousness of people who spent time trying to figure out the "meaning" of the songs. Despite Tull saying in numerous interviews "it was just folly"

If you have either seen his temper or experienced it inflicted on you, you wouldn't say that.

I love his music but his temper is very scary. The last time I witnessed that temper was in 2005 and the last time I agreed to work with him.

He never directed his temper at me but there is just so many times I could take that explosive temper.

In his prime at least he WAS kind of a scary dude. But he's always had a wicked sense of humor, and I suspect some of that was just his sense of DRAMA. He was a very dramatic, theatrical sort.

this video is the 1st time i've seen ian perform. is he always this, what's the word, batshit? i like it!

this video is the 1st time i've seen ian perform. is he always this, what's the word, batshit? i like it!

The "batshit" crazy part is entirely true but it was partially a stage persona. But as photographer Dana points out, he apparently had a temper and I don't find this hard to believe in the slightest. But the more recent interview you posted shows that he is really quite sane and incredibly bright and funny. One thing certain - Dude's an original!

I have worked with Ian and the band at least 4 times. Starting in the 90s.
They are fun to work with but don't tick off Ian. He has a very scary temper.
Where do you think it came from ? I mean was it financial problems --being cheated on bad recording contracts, or personal issues with relationships ? I know his first marriage only lasted about 4 years, but 2nd one is still going fine. Or was he just an angry person for no reason --alcohol or drugs ? Sociopath maybe ?

Last edited:

Where do you think it came from ? I mean was it financial problems --being cheated on bad recording contracts, or personal issues with relationships ? I know his first marriage only lasted about 4 years. Or was he just an angry person for no reason --alcohol maybe ?
genetics can also play a part...what if he's related to Trump?

Where do you think it came from ? I mean was it financial problems --being cheated on bad recording contracts, or personal issues with relationships ? I know his first marriage only lasted about 4 years. Or was he just an angry person for no reason --alcohol maybe ?
genetics can also play a part...what if he's related to Trump?

Doubtful. Though good at theatrics, Rump isn't near as smart and fails the creativity test. ;)

Fav song? ⁣

01. "Aqualung"⁣
02. "Cross-Eyed Mary"⁣
03. "Cheap Day Return"⁣
04. "Mother Goose"⁣
05. "Wond'ring Aloud"⁣
06. "Up to Me"⁣
07. "My God"⁣
08. "Hymn 43"⁣
09. "Slipstream"⁣
10. "Locomotive Breath"⁣
11. "Wind-Up"⁣

Nothing scarier than an angry flute player

If you have either seen his temper or experienced it inflicted on you, you wouldn't say that.

I love his music but his temper is very scary. The last time I witnessed that temper was in 2005 and the last time I agreed to work with him.

He never directed his temper at me but there is just so many times I could take that explosive temper.
Mellancamp is the same way.
I was involved in a project he was doing here (I live in the same city he lives in) about 15 years ago.
Like you, it was never directed at me, I was not really close around him, but his temper is instant and often. A perfectionist, and terribly impatient. And FFS - smokes at least 1,000 cigarettes a day.

Where do you think it came from ? I mean was it financial problems --being cheated on bad recording contracts, or personal issues with relationships ? I know his first marriage only lasted about 4 years, but 2nd one is still going fine. Or was he just an angry person for no reason --alcohol or drugs ? Sociopath maybe ?
i know his wife Jennie co-wrote the song "Aqualung" with Ian

The "batshit" crazy part is entirely true but it was partially a stage persona. But as photographer Dana points out, he apparently had a temper and I don't find this hard to believe in the slightest. But the more recent interview you posted shows that he is really quite sane and incredibly bright and funny. One thing certain - Dude's an original!

When it's not angry he's a very nice man and fun to work with.

He's not angry all the time.

I love his music. I have loved his music since the 70s.

He has a beautiful laugh and smile. His eyes literally light up when he smiles.

Forum List

Back