Jesus at Halloween

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
Jesus at Halloween.jpg.jpg
He must have been difficult to find a costume for as a little one.

Weird neighbor, bible thumper type, wife died about 12 years ago in a car accident. He was arrested for her murder but got off on a technicality. Ever since then, he has maintained a cross at the site of the "accident". There are angel statues and those grungy, faded plastic wreaths and he sometimes puts up seasonal decorations.

Last year, he piled up pumpkins. We thought wildlife might eat them but no - they just laid there rotting on top of pumpkins past.

This year,along with more pumpkins piled on top of the dried out husks of the old pumpkins and dirty old plastic floral wreaths he just drops next to the cross, he has hung a witch from a tree limb over the cross. This is the weirdest and ugliest witch, sorta greenish black long flowing gown with a broom, and it just wafts in the breeze. And a scarecrow.

It has become this huge pile of trash - with a very freaky looking witch, overlooking the mess.

Yeah, to show how much he misses his much-loved wife, I think he should add a plastic jesus statue.

:cuckoo:

Weird neighbor, bible thumper type, wife died about 12 years ago in a car accident. He was arrested for her murder but got off on a technicality. Ever since then, he has maintained a cross at the site of the "accident". There are angel statues and those grungy, faded plastic wreaths and he sometimes puts up seasonal decorations.

Last year, he piled up pumpkins. We thought wildlife might eat them but no - they just laid there rotting on top of pumpkins past.

This year,along with more pumpkins piled on top of the dried out husks of the old pumpkins and dirty old plastic floral wreaths he just drops next to the cross, he has hung a witch from a tree limb over the cross. This is the weirdest and ugliest witch, sorta greenish black long flowing gown with a broom, and it just wafts in the breeze. And a scarecrow.

It has become this huge pile of trash - with a very freaky looking witch, overlooking the mess.

Yeah, to show how much he misses his much-loved wife, I think he should add a plastic jesus statue.

:cuckoo:
HE must no be a true bible thumper as all the ones around here claim it's the devils holiday and throw lame ass harvest festivals......

Good thing about dressing as Jesus for Halloween is that you won't get blown up for it the way you would if you dressed as Allah or some such shit.

What's the difference between trick-or-treating in America and trick-or-treating in an Islamic country ?

In America you might get a plastic toy dropped in your bag. In an Islamic country you'll get plastic explosives dropped in your bag.

I would be very interested in anybody can tell me exactly why we recognize Halloween as a special day in the 21st century. I mean, it is all about selling candy and decorations, but memorializing what in particular?

I guess that it is a good thing that nobody ever made a special day commemorating the invention of toilet paper, because everyone would be expected to wear a toilet paper outfit to parties once per year.

I would be very interested in anybody can tell me exactly why we recognize Halloween as a special day in the 21st century. I mean, it is all about selling candy and decorations, but memorializing what in particular?

I guess that it is a good thing that nobody ever made a special day commemorating the invention of toilet paper, because everyone would be expected to wear a toilet paper outfit to parties once per year.
Halloween or Hallowe'en (/ˌhæləˈwn, -ˈn, ˌhɑːl-/; a contraction of "All Hallows' Evening"),[6] also known as Allhalloween,[7] All Hallows' Eve,[8] or All Saints' Eve,[9] is a yearly celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It initiates the triduum of Allhallowtide,[10] the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed believers.[11] Within Allhallowtide, the traditional focus of All Hallows' Eve revolves around the theme of using "humor and ridicule to confront the power of death."[12]
According to many scholars, All Hallows' Eve is a Christianized feast initially influenced by Celtic harvest festivals,[13][14] with possible pagan roots, particularly the Gaelic Samhain.[8][15][16] Other scholars maintain that it originated independently of Samhain and has solely Christian roots.[17][18]
Typical festive Halloween activities include trick-or-treating (or the related "guising"), attending costume parties, decorating, carving pumpkins into jack-o'-lanterns, lighting bonfires, apple bobbing, visiting haunted house attractions, playing pranks, telling scary stories and watching horror films. In many parts of the world, the Christian religious observances of All Hallows' Eve, including attending church services and lighting candles on the graves of the dead, remain popular,[19][20][21] although in other locations, these solemn customs are less pronounced in favor of a more commercialized and secularized celebration.[22][23][24] Because many Western Christian denominations encourage, although most no longer require, abstinence from meat on All Hallows' Eve,[25][26] the tradition of eating certain vegetarian foods for this vigil day developed, including the consumption of apples, colcannon, cider, potato pancakes, and soul cakes.[26][27][28]
The origin of Halloween can be traced to this “ancient pagan festival celebrated by Celtic people over 2,000 years ago,” states The World Book Encyclopedia. “The Celts believed that the dead could walk among the living at this time. During Samhain, the living could visit with the dead.”
Halloween - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back