Jesse James meets Billy the Kid ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I was watching Robert Redfords "History of the West" last night and it passes the time easily enough. In one of the episodes he claims that Jesse travelled down to New Mexico to recruit Billy for a job he was planning.

It sounds like bollocks to me and I havent seen this claim made anywhere else. I just cant picture Jesse travelling thousands of miles to offer a job to someone he didnt know.

Did this meeting actually happen ?

I was watching Robert Redfords "History of the West" last night and it passes the time easily enough. In one of the episodes he claims that Jesse travelled down to New Mexico to recruit Billy for a job he was planning.

It sounds like bollocks to me and I havent seen this claim made anywhere else. I just cant picture Jesse travelling thousands of miles to offer a job to someone he didnt know.

i doubt it billys career began in the late 1870's when he was like 17 they both died a few years later...

i doubt it billys career began in the late 1870's when he was like 17 they both died a few years later...
Jesse was supposed to be paranoic as well. It seems far fetched.

it is.....jessie would have thought billy was a punk.....

It's meant to draw viewers- far fetched is sometimes to referred to as "poetic license"- poets can get carried away with hyperbole. However, it's said that, it really isn't paranoia if they're really after you. They (the law) really was after him, so- he, like most "outlaws" of yester year here, was seen as an American "Robin Hood", if you will. Robbing from the rich to give to the poor- and, if you really delve into it that's what some of them were. Some were forced into it by means outside their control- economics. While it's true they did have a choice, they were not above making the wrong choice. Many were just unelected psychopaths (see most high profile politicians). The only difference was the word "law" is on the side of elected psychopaths and against unelected ones, hence the term "outlaw"- in the US it's easy to get that moniker (see Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson for examples) and it's way over hyped, generally, by "poets" (media talking head wanna be celebrities) envious of the attention and accolades paid to the people who stand up for what they believe in, which was, in essence, what drove Billy the Kid into outlawry- economics drove Doc Holliday into it- as a dentist, with TB, he had to make a living so he became a gambler- he wouldn't take shit from fellow players and would shoot them to prove his point, rendering him an "outlaw".
There are many erroneous stories floating about- the truth is in who's telling the story- an objective person or one with an agenda- it's easily extrapolated into the Big Picture-

Somebody is really, really, REALLY obsessed with America.

Tommy wishes even one Welshman had done something as significant as Jesse James or Billy the Kid.

Forum List

Back