‘Jeopardy!’ champ James Holzhauer has won over $1 million—here’s how he keeps winning

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
James Holzhauer, a 34-year-old professional sports gambler, is blowing up the traditional “Jeopardy!” style of play — and taking home mad money as a result. Even if you’re not competing on a game show, though, experts say you can take something away from Holzhauer’s aggressive, and successful, strategy.

Holzhauer became the second person in the show’s history to surpass $1 million in winnings in nontournament play. After the game that aired Wednesday, his winnings totaled over $1.1 million.

How 'Jeopardy!' champ James Holzhauer has won over $1 million and keeps winning

I realize this isn't exactly what you'd generally call "breaking news" but it's a pretty big deal apparently. Anything but Russia, Trump or the Mueller report is fine with me.

Today, when Alex asked him how he prepared, he said that one of the ways was to go to the children's section of the library and study there. The books are short, just the facts, and they have pictures which he said helped him to remember things better.

I thought that was a very innovative approach.

Obviously Russian collusion. Putin is getting a cut.
hillary-clintons-dogs-be-like-thank-god-youre-home-the-23131416.png

Well, today he didn't do as well as he usually does. Only got around 49,000.

However......................he is well on his way to break Ken Jennings' record in less than 74 days (amount of time he was on). Personally? Both my roomie and I think that he's probably gonna make 2 1/2 million in less than 40 days.

Chances are, as soon as he breaks the money record held by Jennings, he's gonna get bored and then lose.

Why Isn’t James Holzhauer on Jeopardy! Tonight?
https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/why-isnt-james-holzhauer-on-jeopardy-tonight.html

If you, like us, sat in front of the television tonight anticipating 21 minutes of James Holzhauer whipping his Jeopardy!competition into shape, only to see a game completely devoid of his tasteful button-ups, don’t worry. Take a breath. It’s all right. There’s a perfect reasonably explanation for this.

Holzhauer won’t play his next game until Monday, May 20. Per tradition, the spring Teachers Tournament gathers 15 educators of different disciplines from around the country to duke it out for a $100,000 prize. Some teachers, such as Colby Burnett, even go on to become Jeopardy! famous in their own right.

When Holzhauer returns on May 20, he’ll have an astounding $1,691,008 in winnings over 22 games.

Last Friday, Alex had already said that James was going to have a bit of a break because of the Teacher's tournament.

Missed today's episode because of all the thunderstorms and the weathermen who were soaking up all the screen time they could.

Storm season sucks when the weather pre empts your shows.

Jeopardy will be taking its summer break shortly

Well, today he didn't do as well as he usually does. Only got around 49,000.

However......................he is well on his way to break Ken Jennings' record in less than 74 days (amount of time he was on). Personally? Both my roomie and I think that he's probably gonna make 2 1/2 million in less than 40 days.

Chances are, as soon as he breaks the money record held by Jennings, he's gonna get bored and then lose.

Quite frankly, I think this is rigged. The winning - est contestant in the history of Jeopardy and the guy knows about stuff definitely NOT in children's books. He's winning in what we expect may be Trebek's final season so Trebek goes out in style with a program with a major audience.

I noticed that sometimes a contestant will give a wrong answer and another contestant will use that same answer a few questions later whereupon Trebek says "Now is the time to for that answer." I smell a cheat sheet.

Finally, this modern marvel only looked bad in ONE game. There was something different. His wife was with him, signaling that she probably spent the night with him in the hotel and he didn't study as much as he normally does. I think Jeopardy uses maybe a sample of the questions and if you study it and can memorize it, most of the answers are in it. A gambler lives off his short term memory. He's always keeping up with the other players hand.

There are only three scenarios whereby this guy loses:

1) He loses before someone figures out he's not really that smart about every topic

2) They bring in Watson to end his streak

3) The most likely scenario: He overbids on a daily double late in the game, gets it wrong and can't catch back up.

Holtzhauer gets 97 percent of the answers correct and he plays with confidence he will know the answer

He is also amazingly fast on the buzzer as you watch other contestants frantically trying to buzz in

His opposition plays like losers. When they get a late Daily Double, instead of going for a double will say....$2,000 Alex

Holtzhauer gets 97 percent of the answers correct and he plays with confidence he will know the answer

He is also amazingly fast on the buzzer as you watch other contestants frantically trying to buzz in

His opposition plays like losers. When they get a late Daily Double, instead of going for a double will say....$2,000 Alex

The whole point is NOBODY knows 97 percent of every conceivable subject.

He does

He does

No he doesn't. I told you why. We can repeat it:

1) Timing for this guy in what the directors of Jeopardy think will be Trebek's last season

2) One contestant gives a wrong answer. Another contestant uses that same answer to another question and Trebek says words to the effect "now is the time for that answer."

3) The ONLY time Holtzhauer had a serious challenge was after his wife came to town and stayed the night with him. He didn't study the book all night

4) By virtue of Holtzhauer's occupation, he specializes in the use of short term memory, so he gets a big boost from that.

He does

1) Timing for this guy in what the directors of Jeopardy think will be Trebek's last season

2) One contestant gives a wrong answer. Another contestant uses that same answer to another question and Trebek says words to the effect "now is the time for that answer."

3) The ONLY time Holtzhauer had a serious challenge was after his wife came to town and stayed the night with him. He didn't study the book all night

4) By virtue of Holtzhauer's occupation, he specializes in the use of short term memory, so he gets a big boost from that.
Jeopardy has been on for over 50 years
Trebeck has been on for 35 years
They want to continue the Jeopardy tradition long after Trebeck leaves
It’s integrety is unparalleled

But since you are a conspiracy nutcase, answer this

If they were going to cheat, wouldn’t they bring a ringer in AFTER Trebeck is gone? It is a time when fans would be deciding whether to watch the new host and you would want a ratings spike to sell the new host

He does

Jeopardy has been on for over 50 years
Trebeck has been on for 35 years
They want to continue the Jeopardy tradition long after Trebeck leaves
It’s integrety is unparalleled

But since you are a conspiracy nutcase, answer this

If they were going to cheat, wouldn’t they bring a ringer in AFTER Trebeck is gone? It is a time when fans would be deciding whether to watch the new host and you would want a ratings spike to sell the new host

You know, some of you professional posters lack anything for brains. While studying law I also did investigations. Investigations look for facts, trends, and what some people believe are coincidences. That is a Hell of a long stretch from a conspiracy.

You're lacking in the IQ department to accuse me of that based upon the facts. Regardless of what you think regarding Jeopardy, Trebek, etc. more people are watching Jeopardy now due to Mr. Perfect. More people know who Trebek is than at any time that show has been on - and in what is expected might be his last season. Trebek leaves the air with a bang; it will bring a new generation to watch Jeopardy. That is a clear motive to provide the contestants with sample questions and, among those practice questions, are the questions that will be asked on tv.

Alex never sees the questions; the contestants see them albeit hidden among many other trivia questions. Everything is not a conspiracy, Dude. Hell, when I was a kid I recall USMC recruiters "helping" prep potential recruits to be able to pass the entrance exam at AFEES. There was no "conspiracy," just recruiters nudging guys along so that the recruiter met his quota. It's just business, not a freaking conspiracy and anyone that denies stuff like that happens is terribly naive.

Forum List

Back