Japan's China Problem

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Here is an analysis from RT on what Japan should do.

---

Japan needs to re-calibrate its foreign policy in double quick time. It should reduce its over eagerness to depend on the United States for tackling the gorilla in the room: China.

Japan can do this by cozying up to Russia and South Korea while redoubling its efforts and pace in further deepening ties with India.

This is the important fine print one can read in the President Barack Obama’s recently concluded visit to Japan, the first state visit by an American president to Japan in 18 years.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is a shrewd politician who has the will and the capability to restore his country to its pristine glory. He should separate the chaff from the wheat in what Obama said and did not say during his trip to Tokyo.
Nothing bothers the Japanese political leadership more than the question: how to deal with China? Japan can take a cue from India in this context. India has been handling China much better than any other country. The Indian mantra is this: engage with China on all issues, including the contentious ones, while giving fillip to bilateral trade and people-to-people contacts.

If political leaders and the people of Japan thought that Obama would say comforting words to Japan at the cost of China, and that the US alone is capable of safeguarding their interests vis-a-vis China, then they were mistaken. Nothing of the sort happened.

From the Japanese perspective, the core issue in Abe-Obama talks was the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands dispute between Japan and China. It must have been music to Japanese ears when Obama reaffirmed his support for Japan over the disputed islands, and remarked that the islands fell under a security treaty that commits the US to act if Japan is attacked.
But wait! Obama did not come up with anything new here. And he did not stop here. Sample his remarks that followed soon thereafter.

"I've said directly to (Abe) that it would be a profound mistake to continue to see escalation around this issue rather than dialogue and confidence-building measures between Japan and China."

“In our discussions, I emphasized with Prime Minister Abe the importance of resolving this issue peacefully ... Not escalating the situation, keeping the rhetoric low, not taking provocative actions, and trying to determine how both Japan and China can work cooperatively together.”

Obama also called upon Japan and China to take “confidence-building measures” and significantly added: “We have strong relations with China.”

http://rt.com/op-edge/155928-japan-obama-russia-sanctions/

---

Japan needs to re-calibrate its foreign policy in double quick time. It should reduce its over eagerness to depend on the United States for tackling the gorilla in the room: China.

Japan can do this by cozying up to Russia and South Korea while redoubling its efforts and pace in further deepening ties with India.

This is the important fine print one can read in the President Barack Obama’s recently concluded visit to Japan, the first state visit by an American president to Japan in 18 years.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is a shrewd politician who has the will and the capability to restore his country to its pristine glory. He should separate the chaff from the wheat in what Obama said and did not say during his trip to Tokyo.
Nothing bothers the Japanese political leadership more than the question: how to deal with China? Japan can take a cue from India in this context. India has been handling China much better than any other country. The Indian mantra is this: engage with China on all issues, including the contentious ones, while giving fillip to bilateral trade and people-to-people contacts.

If political leaders and the people of Japan thought that Obama would say comforting words to Japan at the cost of China, and that the US alone is capable of safeguarding their interests vis-a-vis China, then they were mistaken. Nothing of the sort happened.

From the Japanese perspective, the core issue in Abe-Obama talks was the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands dispute between Japan and China. It must have been music to Japanese ears when Obama reaffirmed his support for Japan over the disputed islands, and remarked that the islands fell under a security treaty that commits the US to act if Japan is attacked.
But wait! Obama did not come up with anything new here. And he did not stop here. Sample his remarks that followed soon thereafter.

"I've said directly to (Abe) that it would be a profound mistake to continue to see escalation around this issue rather than dialogue and confidence-building measures between Japan and China."

“In our discussions, I emphasized with Prime Minister Abe the importance of resolving this issue peacefully ... Not escalating the situation, keeping the rhetoric low, not taking provocative actions, and trying to determine how both Japan and China can work cooperatively together.”

Obama also called upon Japan and China to take “confidence-building measures” and significantly added: “We have strong relations with China.”

http://rt.com/op-edge/155928-japan-obama-russia-sanctions/

So much is in play here. I don't know even where to start some days. Thanks for the link to the rt article.

To others Vikrant is on it big time but the for the rest of you......

I've been busy having a normal life :eusa_angel:getting my seedlings ready. I live in zone 2 and try to grow more than lichens.

India times is good as well and BBC even though serious left they still report the news.

Check out voice of russia as well. Der Speigel and France 24 too . Know they lean left with der Spiegel and France 24 but they will actually report the news.

A Russian news source much credibility. About as much as a Fox news opinion piece as a matter of fact.

You just said the key phrase. OP is different than the news.

I just put up a list of very left leaning news outlets that I do at least trust me to give the news.

---

Russia and S Korea are not particularly interested in that just now.

Fox News is fair and balanced...is very patriotic...and airs stories that some people obviously don't like.
Last night on my tv Fox News hosts were defending the boy who was banned from reading his Holy Bible at school in free time.

Gotta love Fox News.

USA is the only one who can be relied upon to defend Japan from China.
USA ally Australia could help, but it really only has 'popguns' and no nuclear weapons [has signed nuclear non-proliferation treaties]...mind you, ...Iran, Pakistan, India etc have nukes.

Last edited:

---

Russia and S Korea are not particularly interested in that just now.

Japan is in a tough situation at the moment. It has traditionally relied on US defense umbrella. The credibility of this umbrella was never really challenged till China started flexing its muscle. Japan is not confident anymore that the US will choose Japan over China because China is number one economy in the world right now and US has indispensable reliance on Chinese cheap labor.

... and China continues to play Chicken with Japan.

---

TOKYO: Japan on Sunday accused China of "dangerous" manoeuvres above the disputed East China Sea after a Chinese fighter flew within roughly 30 metres (100 feet) of a Japanese military aircraft.

A Japanese defence ministry spokesman said that a Chinese SU-27 jet on Saturday flew close by a Japanese OP-3C surveillance plane above the waters where the countries' air defence identification zones overlap.

Another Chinese SU-27 fighter also flew close by a Japanese YS-11EB plane in the same airspace, the ministry said.

One fighter jet flew about 50 metres and the other was as close as 30 metres to the Japanese planes, according to the spokesman.

The incidents come as relations between Japan and China are strained amid a territorial dispute over Tokyo-controlled islands in the East China Sea.

"They were dangerous acts that could lead to an accident," Japanese Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera told reporters on Sunday.

"The Japanese crew reported that the fighters were flying with missiles, which raised the tension as they handled the situation.

"I consider the (Chinese fighters) acted out of rule." Tokyo protested Beijing over the incidents through diplomatic channels, he said.

The Chinese fighters did not enter the Japanese zone, according to the Asahi Shimbun daily.

The two Japanese aircraft were monitoring a joint naval drill by China and Russia in the northern East China Sea near Japanese territorial waters, Kyodo News said, citing an unnamed government source.

Chinese state-owned ships and aircraft have periodically approached the Senkaku islands, which China also claims and calls the Diaoyus, to demonstrate Beijing's territorial claims in the East China Sea.

Beijing raised regional tensions in November by declaring an air defence identification zone covering the area, which overlaps a similar Japanese zone.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...with-Japanese-planes/articleshow/35589725.cms

I heard that a russian aircraft did the same thing to one of our ships. The Russians and Chinese are in an alliance. This is leading up to something.

---

TOKYO: Japan on Sunday accused China of "dangerous" manoeuvres above the disputed East China Sea after a Chinese fighter flew within roughly 30 metres (100 feet) of a Japanese military aircraft.

A Japanese defence ministry spokesman said that a Chinese SU-27 jet on Saturday flew close by a Japanese OP-3C surveillance plane above the waters where the countries' air defence identification zones overlap.

Another Chinese SU-27 fighter also flew close by a Japanese YS-11EB plane in the same airspace, the ministry said.

Remind you of anything? Let's hope the skill of Chinese military pilots have improved a bit in the past ten years.

---

Remind you of anything? Let's hope the skill of Chinese military pilots have improved a bit in the past ten years.

I remember that. The Chinese fighter pilot was tasked to scare the American reconnaissance airplane by flying too close to it. Instead the Chinese pilot ended up crashing his own plane.

Forum List

Back