Japan is planning to build huge floating solar power plants

Then there is the Salton Sea Project.

Lithium the Salton Sea and a startup that 8217 s trying to change the game mdash Tech News and Analysis

Just south of the Salton Sea — the salty, shrinking 350-square-mile lake that wasformed as the result of an engineering accident in the early 1900s — a six-year-old tech startup has been extracting the “white gold” that lies thousands of feet below the surface. That valuable material, lithium, can be used in batteries for electric cars and cell phones, and the project has piqued enough interest that execs from a handful of battery makers, as well as electric car company Tesla, have visited the site.

On a typical baking-hot, dusty summer afternoon off an industrial road outside of Calipatria, California, Simbol Materials’ executives showed me the series of gray pipes and beige tanks that have so far extracted a few hundred tons of lithium product from the mixture of hot water and mineral deposits that’s pumped up to the surface by a neighboring geothermal power plant. Simbol’s plant collects this hot geothermal “brine,” purifies it, extracts the lithium — and in the future other valuable materials like manganese, zinc and potassium — and sends the water back to the geothermal plant to be reused in the system.

Old Crock, you don't know jack about steel production let alone Geothermal, mineral recovery? Which Salton Sea project, seems if I take a bit of time and search I can find in these threads a claim Old Crock made about the Salton Sea that was shown to me nothing more than a crock.

Japan is planning to build huge floating solar power plants

Fiona MacDonald
Monday, 01 September 2014
Japan may be short on free land space, but that’s not stopping them from investing in renewable energy. Solar panel company Kyocera Corp, Century Tokyo Leasing Corp and Ciel Terre have announced (release in Japanese) that they're teaming up to create two huge floating solar power plants which will be up and running by April next year.

These are just the first two of a planned network of around 30 floating 2 megawatt (MW) power plants, capable of generating a combined 60 MW of power, a spokesperson from Kyocera told Chisaki Watanabe from Bloomberg.

Read more: http://www.scienceal...0109-26104.html

Kyocera.jpg

----

Between offshore wind and offshore solar. The entire world could be powered this way!

Having experienced the tremendous power of tides in my boat, I don't know why we can't have tidal turbines.

Makes more sense than ethanol which is a net energy loser.

Tide, wave, and slow current are all potential sources. Construction costs and environmental effects will be the deciding factor for them.

Forum List

Back