Japan Considering Preemption On NK

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    somehow I don't think this was what China or UN had in mind...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060710/ap_on_re_as/nkorea_missiles

2. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It is entirely possible that better judgement and diplomacy will get tossed out the window. Japan will attack North Korea, China will attack Japan--and Taiwan in the process--Russia will get involved. The U.S. and the European nations will mobilize and step into action. Suddenly we have WWIII and a lot of kids will die in the process.

How is that for the worst case scenario of the century?

3. PsuedoGhost

PsuedoGhost Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    China would NEVER attack Japan. They know that such an assault would lead to full scale thermonuclear war with America and possibly Russia as well. The Russians may still have some communistic tendencies but their allegiance is no where near where it used to be.

What do we do? Finish the missile shield. Show the North Koreans that it works, and let them rot.

4. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think China's incentive not to attack would be based more on economics. They might not want to lose their spot in the U.S. market.

The Russians are backing North Korea in the UN resolutions, who knows what would happen if it came down to war.

You can throw India into the mix. They tested a long range missle capable of reaching Bejiing.

5. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Japan is the largest investor in China.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    There's no love loss between China and Japan, regardless of investment. I agree though, China would not attack Japan, not now.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Rather an alarmist opinion. You base your scenario on what?

The Japanese hate the Koreans. The Koreans hate teh Japanese. Been that way for centuries. Note that South Korea, a Nation which has as much or more to lose than anyone, STILL had something negative to say about Japan.

IMO, China will not retaliate against preemptive strikes. They might bitch and foam at the mouth and rattle their sabers, but they have too much to lose economically by openly defying the US; which, is what WILL happen if Japan launches a preeemptive strike. They've backed us in the ME. If we don't back them, we SUCK.

Add to that, Jung has openly defied China by continuing his confrontational, self-agrandizing BS. He is an embarrasment to China, and I don't see China backing his play beyond words with nothing to gain from it.

8. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68

sure the Chinese government uses anti Japanese sentiment in the population for nationalistic demonstrations.

But I am sure they noticed that conservative member of congress started thinking out aloud to provide Japan with nuclear weapons to be able to defend itself against either NorthKorea or China.

Japan pays for its own part of the Missile Shield and is after the UK probably the closest Ally the US has.

Now if they could get rid of the stupid limits in their constitution .....

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think 'yes' to all, including I think, they will amend their constitution. I really don't think China thought through what the Japanese response could be.

10. USMCDevilDog

USMCDevilDog Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I just have one question. Why whenever we're faced with a possible major threat like a potential enemy having a nuke does China and Russia (and only them, always them two) say no no no, lets settle this differently. It seems like they have a little double team going on to make sure that the real bad guys are kept safe. What the hell is going on? Why the fuck do we have to listen to them every time and not just do what we really have to do and blow the fucking missle sites up?