We planted a time bomb...will it go off?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by 1549, Jul 10, 2006.

1. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Link

The worst thing for nation building is an economic dominant minority. The result of government insecurity in such countries is always ethnic violence. I wonder where this is headed...civil war? genocide? I hope we are capable of nnegotiating some sort of peace between the two before the violence reaches those levels.

P.S.: the author's last name is cockburn--giggle giggle

2. shepherdboy

shepherdboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I think the Iraqi people are smarter then that. The insurgents (if we are calling them that today) have tried this ploy over and over again with little or no success in launching a religious/civil war. Most of the Iraqi people just want to go to work, raise kids and enjoy life just as most Americans. The few religious fanatics are just a reflection of an unpopular idea. U.S. boots on the ground have more of a real idea on how successful the mission in Iraq is going. If you want a distorted picture of Iraq, by all mean continue reading the the agenda driven press. For truth, just ask some of my brothers who are there and serving with honor. As for the U.S. servicemen who are accused of war crimes. I will wait for a proper trail before I post any type of judgment on someone who is innocent until proven guilty.

3. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    the American potitical leadership on both sides has only one goal. To get out as fast as possible. The best options is to give the Shiites and Kurds enough military power so they can "pacify" the Sunnis. It will be ugly but I assume the Sunnis otherwise will not quit.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    My question to you, is what does the story have to do with your thread title? The fact is, unless you replace Saddam with "another" Saddam, the battle between the Shia, Sunni, Ba'ath and/or Kurds is going to happen.

The Iraqi gov't needs to become self-sustaining and we need to get out and leave Iraq to its own internal turmoil. Taking out a ruthless piece of crap who was an international threat is one thing -- involving ourselves in a religious civil war is quite another.

5. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The time bomb is unleashing an economic dominant minority into a less than stable environment.

I think there are many people in Iraq who just want to raise kids, have a family, etc. Just as there were many Rwandans, Jews, and Armenians who with similar aspirations. Unfortunately, that group of people falls mercy to the hardliners in a hostile environment like Iraq. If the hardliners can gather enough followers to follow through on an ethnic slaughter--it will happen. Our soldiers can fight with all of their might, but how would they stop an active genocide?

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Our soldiers could not, and as I said, internal strife is not our problem, BY POLICY.

I will caveat that with our soldiers could by instilling strict martial law a la The Marshall Plan; however, we as a Nation no longer have the will to do such a thing.

Unless we declare unconditional war against all Muslim religious extremists and enofrce it with an iron hand, we will not stop the religious strife in the Middle East.

We gave them a country and a democracy. Let the Arabs fight to keep it just as we fought to keep ours.